Ali_wehrman, Home Owner in 27410

We are thinking about an addition that would be: 2.5 car garage with mudroom, 4th bedroom & extra bathroom. How much can we expect to raise our?

Asked by Ali_wehrman, 27410 Tue Feb 21, 2012

value? We are in NH - the addition would be the garage structure with a 2nd level addidion.

Answers

6
Nathan Wolf’s answer
Those prices seem pretty accurate. I've worked as a Custom Home Specialist for many years. A client just completed a Master Suite over a garage and that price seems in the ballpark for what they spent. Of course it depends on the level of finish to your addition. And as for garage only -- it depends on the foundation type and exterior cladding (brick / stone / wood)... but somewhere in the $25k to $45k range depending on how elaborate the design.

As for the value addition? It depends on the price per square foot and bedroom count affect in your area. In general, homes with garage sell for more. Homes with 4 bedrooms sell for more and faster than 3 bedrooms. And there is value in the "time on market." So if you home sells for more in a shorter time, then you are saving mortgage payments as well.

The septic may be able to be recertified as being acceptable for a 4 bedroom... some counties rate this according to the number of bathrooms instead of bedrooms. But ultimately it based on the "maximim occupancy" for the home-- which is based on bedroom counts. Because if you can technically fit 4 people per bedroom --- and you have one bathroom-- it doesnt mean that they wont all still be using that one bathroom.

There are other ways to "go green" by using "alternative" septic systems, which allow for higher capacity in the same square footage on your lot. And there are even toilet systems which "burn" the waste immediatly. And there are also "grey water" recycling systems which will reduce the amont of shower and sink water going into your septic system. Thereby increasing the capacity rating. So, consider those options as well.

*****************************
If this answered your question, please give me a "THUMBS UP" or "BEST ANSWER"-- thanks!
*****************************
Web Reference: http://www.natewolf.com
Ali,

Lenn is correct. If you want accurate advice go to the source. The county health department is the ruling body when it comes to septic permits. In Guilford County that is the Guilford County Department of Environmental Health at http://www.guilfordhealth.org/ then click on Environmental Health Department then the wastewater management.
Or the state department at http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/osww_new//

Hope this helps,
Web Reference: http://totalcarerealty.net
I would be weary of the advice you received about the septic. I believe you will need to speak to the Environmental Health Dept in your county. To add a bedroom, you will most likely be required to reperk the lot to determine if the soil would be suitable to accept a four bedroom home, and most likely to determine a future repair area in case it does fail. Without this step and the proper permits, you could be opening a whole slew of problems when you decide to sell.

If you are torn about your options to sell or stay, to make the additions or not, or just want a little more advice, I am happy to schedule a time to discussyour options further. You can contact me through Trulia and I will follow up with an e-mail or phone call, whichever you are most comfortable with.
Hi - Thanks for both answers. In regards to the septic- it is private, and a well. The septic is rated at 3bedroom. I was told in roder to sell it as a 4 bedroom, I just had to pay for and file new septic design with the state. Since the septic is not "failed" it does not have to be dug out and replaced just to add a bedroom. I hope this advise was true. Most houses in my neighborhood have garages. I just feel torn between making the improvements and STAYING here, or just selling and BUYING what I want. One rough estimate was given to me that it could be $163,000 to add the 30x24 addition. We plan on doing some of the work ourselves which hopefully would save. But I was also told that just to build a one level garage 30x24 it would be $35,000 plus labor! That seems high to me. Feeling quite torn! Thanks again for the help and feedback.
Ali,

Lenn has hit on one of the main facts you need to remember. While a contractor may quote you a price "as long as they do not have to pull permits". That is a red flag. Besides if you have all that work done and no permits are pulled you will not be able to count that square footage as finished if a broker lists your property in the future. Also one question is are you on public water and sewer or a well and septic? If you are on a well and septic what is your existing septic tank rated for? If you presently have a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home and a septic tank rated for only a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home then when you go to sell that is the only way you will be able to list it.

Now on the value if everything is done to code and permitted then a simply broker's price opinion can be done to determine the value per square foot of your present home. That can be extended out to show you what it would be with the addition you are thinking of. Now the only problem with any answer you get, even if you paid for an appraisal, these are all just "opinions of value" and are only good for a very brief amount of time. There are plenty of people that did the same thing back in 2006 before the market fell and are wondering why they cannot simply list the added value sell their home. Any broker could give you an estimated market value for your home and then equate out what it would be with a "proposed" addition of the specified space.

Hope this helps,
This is really to vague to answer properly. The same improvement in one area may yield more or less than another area of the same city. As well, the quality of the work will make a huge difference. If you are doing this for resale purposes, you are most likely not going to recover your investment. However, if you are doing it for your own needs, this will not matter as much as you will profit from the use alone. Best advice based on the limited info you provided is to make sure you use a reputable contractor, check references, and make sure all permits all pulled and all inspections are completed. Then keep records of everything you do! Best of luck with your project!!