Home Buying in Pollock Pines>Question Details

Denise, Other/Just Looking in

We are seriously considering this area for our retirement years. Coming from upstate NY. How is the part time job situation? I am a "young" retiree

Asked by Denise, Sun May 6, 2012

Answers

8
Pollock Pines, being halfway between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe has some tourist services. Tourism is an industry that relies heavily on part time workers during busy periods such as weekends and holidays. Or you may figure another way to convert your pre-retirement skills to a post retirement income.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
El Dorado County is the best place I have ever lived. (I have lived on the East Coast, Northwest, and CA) We now have high-speed-internet here, and all the conveniences you come to expect. If I were you I would rent for a while in the Pollock Pines area or Pleasant Valley and you will soon see how friendly this area is. It is really nothing like the rest of CA. Lake Tahoe is awesome for both winter and summer fun. Lots of hiking, skiing, wineries, etc.....

Part-time work is available here but will be low paying. We have many world-class wineries in the South county. I work at home and life is good!

Take the risk and I promise you won't regret it!

Bob Shelts
rshelts@d-web.com
Denise, Thank you for giving me "best answer" Best wishes to you whereever and whenever you retire.
Unemployment rate in El Dorado County is over 20% - there are no jobs in the County. County has no leadership and has create no growth, industries hence job outlook. You would end up going to Folsom or Sac in an attempt to find employment. Currently the largest employer in the County is the local government - and the work is very shoddy. Local taxpayers are starting to bang the drum to eliminate local PUBLIC employees pensions, benefits and bonuses. Last county in the State on what they spend per taxpayer, children's education, etc. It is like the Alabama of the Nation, last in everything. In addition, a very red and racists county, not a good place to raise children. Countryside is beautiful - but that is the only benefit for this county. I have just closed on a house in Placer county, look in that county, business is booming versus the blight on Main St in El Dorado County.
good riddence
Flag Mon Apr 7, 2014
EatMyVegetables - you would be the only person of color in EDC - very white-bred, very tea bagging, racist, homophobic, etc. There is a street called "Digger Court" in EDC - the community there changed the name to "Nxxxxx Court" by carving the "D" to an "N", this is not a good place to raise children, the hate mongers live here.
Flag Thu Dec 5, 2013
I have just come from Placer county and the high schools their are the worst. I think EDC's downtown has much more charm and better merchants than Placer county. And Highway 80 is a death trap with all of the truckers speeding down the corridor.El Dorado County is a wonderful place to raise children as I have lived here for 20 years and raised 3 children. My children have attended the elementary, middle and high schools and my daughter's two best friends shared the Valedictorianship for 2013. One of those ladies is attending UCBerkeley the other a college in Minnesota. There is not a lot of opportunity for employment in the county. I do not feel our county is racist at all, in fact, we have quite a diversified community. However, if you wish to build a home in EDC you will pay one of the highest permit fees in the state around $65,000. We have a very lovely downtown area with clean streets and diverse merchants who enjoy streams of tourists every weekend.
Flag Sat Nov 23, 2013
I am currently looking to purchase a home in the Sierra Springs area. I am a person of color. I have heard that on the other side of hwy 50 can be a bit rough but what about this area? I have a infant son and want him to have a wonderful childhood in the wilderness and my husband is a wildland firefighter in the area,
Flag Wed Jul 3, 2013
I live and work in Pollock Pines. It's a great choice for retirement or family. There are so many things to do here recreationally. I don't know if ever been here or checked out our lake. Lots of hiking, fishing, mountain biking, etc. We are indeed a small town with an approx. population around 4200 but we do have a Safeway market, CVS drug store and many smaller "mom&pop" businesses and a few great restaurants so as far as part-time work, you'd have a pretty good choice and Placerville is only 10 minutes down the mountain. If I can help you out finding that perfect retirement place give me a call or email.

Abbie@AbbieGillespie.com
Website: http://www.AbbieGillespie.com
I don't know much about Pollock Pines but I can tell you that the San Diego area is a booming haven for retiring or semi retiring Baby Boomers. Should you ever wish to consider San Diego please feel free to reach out to us.

onthelevel@cox.net 760 815-6977

http://www.sandiegorealestatetoday.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
Pollock Pines is a small community between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento. The nearest larger town is Placerville, approx 15 minutes away. Between Placerville and Pollock Pines there are plenty of part time jobs to be had. There are lots of local merchants and tourist spots that could use part time help.

I have more info on retiring in Pollock Pines if you have further questions. Give me a ring and Id be glad to help.

Morgan Larson
530-503-5225
Morgan@morganlarson.com
My daughter is working on a U.S.Forestry service transfer, and this town is on her short list. I am researching the area as a semi-retirement opportunity if she gets the position. I am a professional tailor, and can sew utility items to wedding clothes to boat covers. Do you know if this community could support a trade business like mine?
Flag Sat Aug 31, 2013
Pollock Pines is a wonderful area to live, close to wonderful lakes, schools, shopping, 40 minutes from Sacramento, churches, skiing, & Lake Tahoe. Part time jobs shouldn't be a problem we have all types of work in this area.