Home Buying in New Town>Question Details

Magiahrens, Home Buyer in New Town, MA

We are seriously considering moving from Miami (zip code 33186) to Middlesex County, MA (Newton, Lincoln, Bedford, Burlington area).

Asked by Magiahrens, New Town, MA Tue Nov 3, 2009

I need to find a comparable house of about 2500 sq feet. How much could it cost over there?

Answers

7
I'm a parent in Newton, grew up in Miami and thought I'd share my $0.02. Bring lots of warm clothes and get a 4WD. The towns listed in your question are not at all similar. Newton is more expensive than the other three towns. Most houses in all three are either 50+ years old or less than 10 years old. (Everything in between are money pits and considered less desirable.) 50+ house are either >3500 sw ft. or are about 2000 sq ft. Of the >3500 sq ft, may are divided in two (bottom floor and top two floors = Philadelphia duplex, or were designed to be two houses with side by side living). This is especially true in Cambridge and Brookline (the two neighborhoods most often compared to Newton). And there is not stigma to living in half a house. Houses less than 10 years are McMansions and are generally shoddily built. Most importantly, the days here are very short in the late Fall through early Spring so buy a house with lots of light and windows. And there are really on two times a year good houses come onto the market: Spring (late March/April) and Fall (September through early Oct.). Not sure why, but we rented for a year before buying to learn about the 'hoods. I hope this helps and good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 9, 2009
This is just a rough answer as I have no idea of the type of house, number of bedrooms, neighborhood, etc that you desire. In Newton the range is $750,000-$1,200,000; In Lincoln $500,000 to $1,200,000; in Burlington $600,000-$750,000 and in Bedford $450,000-$750,000.

Please let me know more about what you would like and I can recommend some specific properties. You may also want to go to Raveis.com and check out properties. It is one of the best websites out there to look for homes as it has so many unique mapping features, including schools, restaurants and so much more. I guarantee you will be impressed.

Also, feel free to call me at 339.222.8103 to discuss the area. I, too, relocated here so I know what turmoil you are and will be going through!!! Karen
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 3, 2009
If your not familar with the Boston area and need to find the best realtor in the neighborhoods that appeal to you, then OptHome can assist you. We can assess the local realtors and based on your criteria, help find you the Best Realtors/Agent that fits your criteria.
Feel free to browse the website for more information and to see how thisa free service works.
Opthome.com or call
1-888-765-MYHOME (1-888-765-6946)
Hello- Good answers and help below. Keep in mind that any mortgage amount over $417K will usually result in somewhat higher rates and/or more closing costs/ fees. If you need any help with that, or a preapproval letter, please let me know. Be happy to help. Thanks, and good luck,

Ken L.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Depends on the exact neighborhood in that county because they vary. On average plan to spend $500,000 plus. Some of the neihborhoods can be very expensive.
To get an idea of the difference in price (or what you can get for a specific $ range) easiest would be to search properties on the market: http://www.bostontre.com
I would be happy to set you up on my website with listingbook.co, - you can search all properties in all areas just as a realtor would. If you see anything of interest, let me know - I would be happy to show any property you may be considering. Sign up on my website.

http://amsrealestate.listingbook.com/

Susan
Magiahrens,

How are you? In the link below, i've compiled a list of homes that are available in those markets, between 2500-2800 sq feet. The cumulative average listing price in the desired areas is $917,072. Please review the list and should you be interested in further discussion and persuit of purchasing in Massachusetts, please feel free to email or call me for more detailed information.

http://www.petershomefinder.com/listing.asp?agentid=400280&a…

Peter Mlaguzi
http://www.petershomefinder.com
peter@petershomefinder.com
617-233-1476