Home Buying in Sandpoint>Question Details

jschmietow, Home Buyer in 93940

We are retired, living in Monterey, Ca and considering relocating to Idaho. Need to be close to good health facilities. One level home with acreage

Asked by jschmietow, 93940 Tue Oct 29, 2013

Answers

5
Have you visited Sandpoint yet? They are a little farther from major hospitals. You may want to consider Coeur d' Alene if you haven't checked it out yet. We have more major medical facilities and have easier access to the bigger hospitals in Spokane, WA. Feel free to call me with any questions 208-640-9295.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
Hello Joyce,
We have a good amount of single level homes since our area is a lot of retirees. If you don't mind living out of town a few minutes, there are some pretty good buys for homes on acreage. Are you open to building a home? There are some really nice home/land packages starting in the low $200's for homes on 5 Acres. The builder carries the construction loan, so it makes the process really simple. They are located a few minutes North of Coeur d' Alene. Give me a call and I can email you a package.

Katie
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
jschmietow, Home Buyer, 93940
Thank you for your reply. My husband has been wanting to make a trip to Idaho for the last few years. I just sold my house in Foresthill, Ca this past July and am living in a house my daughter bought which is beautiful, 5000 sq ft (too big and costly to maintain). We are flexible on budget but do require a single level residence with small amount of acreage for our dogs. We had 5 acres before and 5 acres here in Monterey (fenced) but a bobcat is lurking and our 20 lb Schipperkes are at risk. California is too expensive, water rates are $200 - $600/mo (summer) and awful. The foothills had wonderful water coming from the mountains. Our major criteria is being close to facilities, especially medical/shopping.

Joyce Schmietow
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013
I think that the Treasure Valley/Boise area would be a great option for you! I work in the McCall area two hours north, which is a popular resort town, but perhaps a little small for you (3500 residents.) If you would like a great referral for Boise, I would be happy to offer you the name of a fabulous agent down there! Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We had looked into Boise a couple of years ago before making the move to Monterey from Foresthill, CA. At this point, we aren't sure we want to purchase in California again. Foresthill (27 years) was a small foothills town but the snow (elev. 3000 ft) and distance to medical facilities gave us the impetus to move to a more temperate climate. Being retired, we are open and flexible in where to live. The last two homes had five acres each but we don't need that much land although one or two acres would be preferable to living next door to someone. We do not have to sell a home to move. My daughter purchased the one we are living in but it is 5,000 sq.ft. and five acres which requires costly maintenance and high water bills due to extensive landscaping/grass. Living near quality medical facilities is desirable.
Joyce Schmietow
Flag Tue Nov 5, 2013
Did you know that Pocatello, Idaho was just listed as one of the top 10 places to retire in the Nation? AARP highlighted Pocatello as a great place to spend your golden years! You can view a short video on it at http://www.aarp.org. Idaho is beautiful and depending on what you would like to do, there are many great cities to relocate too! I would love to send you a relocation packet on Pocatello for your review. I can also set you up on an email responder that will send you properties that would meet your criteria. This is a free service and will allow you to see these properties first as soon as they are listed! I can also set you up to receive an email list of properties in just about any city in Idaho if you would like to explore other areas. As far as good health facilities, Pocatello has a great facility called Portneuf Medical Center that you can check out at http://www.portmed.org. Look forward to hearing from you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 1, 2013
What part of North Idaho are you looking at as an option? Feel free to call me at 208.610.6960 and we can chat about the different areas and what they have to offer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013
North Idaho is a great place to live, you will love it here. There are fabulous regional health facilities in Coeur d'Alene. What is your budget? I'd be happy to send you some homes to review which meet your criteria, and info on the medical facilities, if you'd like. My parents moved to north Idaho from southern California in the '60s, and I am so glad they did!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 29, 2013

Joyce Schmietow
Flag Tue Oct 29, 2013