Home Buying in Hanford>Question Details

meskeycol, Home Buyer in Marietta, GA

We are ready to purchase a condominium. Owner is elderly. We are skeptical that she will have all of her possessions out at closing.

Asked by meskeycol, Marietta, GA Thu Oct 18, 2012

Once we sign the papers at closing, what are our responsibilities to her concerning the furniture, etc. If we don't own them -- how do we force /urge/ etc. her to have them removed in a timely manner? We are moving 350 miles so waiting this out once we leave closing is, at best, an expensive option

Answers

3
You say this is an elderly owner. If you are in such a hurry to move in, help her out by having a moving company assist. This would end up being a win-win situation, since the seller may not be able to move due to little resources available, so you are doing the person a good deed and at the same time, able to move in on the planned date. Just an idea. It's interesting how it has all become about business now
Wow, a few points here & this is in response to Mike's reply (since Trulia won't let me reply directly). First of all, if she's in assisted living and thinks she will move back home one day then she is not of a sound mind and I wouldn't think she'd be able to enter into a legally binding contract to begin with. Second, if she's in assisted living & it's mandatory (not self admitted) then likely someone has power of attorney & they should be overseeing the sale, the removal of her possessions, etc. I would have your attorney look over the documentation before closing as something does not sound quite right there. As far as her possessions go, as helpugetahome said, offer to hire a moving company - Note: Moving Company, not "two men and a truck". The former will have insurance that covers the move in the event of damage and they assume all liability there in.
Flag Fri Jan 4, 2013
Bob,
Thank you for the reply. I wish it were that easy. I would be willing to have two men and a truck move it to wherever she wants on closing day. Problem is that she has antique furniture and I would be facing a lawsuit. Where to store it? If I could simply move it to a storage center and she would be charged -- no problem--either. I just feel like I will be charged for both moving and storage and possibly sued for my "good deed". Money is not the object, unfortunately, she does not have to sell, is in assisted living and IMHO I think that she thinks she's coming home someday. BTW -- the "hurry" that we have to move in, is that we are coming from 350 miles away with our furniture loaded to closing.
Flag Sat Nov 3, 2012
We have an agent. We have bought homes before. I have always when selling and always when buying had the "expectation" that the house would be empty of all owner's possessions not on the contract at the time of the pre-closing walk-through. We brought this up with the real estate agent. She said they don't do that as a rule (in Cobb County, GA). That sellers are concerned that the sale won't go through and they will be left with an empty house?????? Where does this leave the buyer that has left a residence to move into an "empty" house. What I would like to do is go to closing, change the locks, and if they have not moved their possessions out ....... they are the homeowner's possessions. I don't want them. I would call the Salvation Army or Battered Wome's Center and have them removed. What is the legal ramification. Does a seller have to be told that the home that the sell is not their storage area after the sale of the house?
Her'e's a silly question...do either you or the seller have agents to hep navigate this? This is typically stuff agents would work out together., As a buyer, you have no ability to impact the seller, If she signed a legal document agreeing to be out, then you have legal recourse if she fails to complete her responsibilities. Best of luck.
Flag Fri Oct 19, 2012