Doug, Home Buyer in Livermore, CA

We are planning to purchase a mobile home in the next 6 months.

Asked by Doug, Livermore, CA Thu Oct 11, 2012

We are totally new to this but assuming a $60,000 mobile home, what taxes and fees should we count on paying. Also, we will be doing this as an all cash purchase, no financing. Coming at it with cash in hand, are there any discounts or other considerations that we should be aware of.
Doug

Answers

9
Understand that a MOBILE HOME in California is not a piece of Real Estate:
It would have to be set on a piece of land that you own, with a permanent FOUNDATION and connected to services.
If it is in a Mobile Home Park, it can be handled through a Realtor. If it is a NEW Mobile Home, it is sold by a salesman who is licensed like a Car Salesman.
The Mobile Home is then registered through the DMV, much like a car is.
You can probably find pamphlets at the DMV about buying a Mobile Home, or you can find them on-line at californiadmv.gov

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 11, 2012
PRICED TO SELL MOBILE HOME IN ~~~~~~ LIVERMORE

SHOWING - SAT 7.25TH FROM 2.30 TO 3.30 PM

- REMODEL

- 2/1

- POOL

- LIST: $129K

WILL NOT LAST

TEXT: 415.329.4008 OR 916.912.9722
LOL! I have to take some humorous issue with Carletonurdoorman, Home Buyer, Livermore, CA. Some of what he's stated is true. Older MH's, (PRE HUD) as I stated in a previous comment, will lose money depending on the park.

If the park/community is well maintained and in the path of progress you can most often make some money on it. However, probably not as much as you could on a real estate investment. Personally I would never purchase in a co op or a corporation as you do not own the dirt anymore than you would in a rent/lease community. I've had personal experiences in this type of purchase and was not very successful with it.

That stated, however, if the MH is in a condo conversion, subdivision or Planned Unit Development (PUD) where you own the real estate it can and usually is a viable investment that will appreciate in time. But once again, if the home is a PRE HUD (built before June 15, 1976) you would never be able to get an FHA guaranteed forward or reverse mortgage and there are some issues with caustic and carcinogenic chemical issues.
Please clue me in on what I said that wasn't true...You did clarrify the co-op term I used. Condo conversion would be a similar term, sort of, a conversion to a PUD might be the right term also...my experience with the term co-op was meant to imply that certain individuals go around to mobile home parks, and purchase from the buyer, acting as a go-between, for the community of Mobile Home tenants, and effects a sale of the property to all of them. In some cases, a sort of "share" equity is done instead of parceling up each stall. But that wasn't my main point. WHERE has there ever been a case where mobile home values went up? In a ten year hold, if you buy a mobile home, and whether you have rent control in your park or not, where has anyone made ANY money? If the mobile home park is in a really nice park, you rent keeps going up on the space if not rent controlled. If rent controlled, you can't sell your "value" to a new party because they will get marked up to "market".
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
Here is a better idea - Take your $60 K and make a down payment on a house or condo.

Buying a mobile home is like buying a car. It depreciates, and the equity you build up is like a car - not much compared to what you paid. ONE EXCEPTION TO MY STATEMENT is that if you can buy a mobile home in a park wherein the owners of the mobile homes also own their spaces, then I would say that is an ok idea. Parks like this do exist, you just have to find them. Sometimes they sell the spaces to the people in the park like a co-op. Sometimes it is done on a "shares" basis, like buying stock in a company. But if you can't find something where you can own your own space, STAY AWAY.

Buy a condo. Buy a townhouse. Buy anything but a mobile home.

In 20 years what will you own? Just the mobile home. Which has decreased in value, like any house improvements. The land beneath is not yours. It is like buying a car with no wheels, and you will NOT make money. Nothing. Zilch. And old mobile homes, what are they worth? They aren't worth anything. They COST MONEY to get rid of at the end of their life. You can't even move old mobile homes, because they will fall apart.
Doug, We currently have a Mobile Home for sale in Livermore at 1870 Montecito Cir. listed for $69,500. View details here http://youtu.be/ApwDvYrHebY. Call or email for a private showing. Thank you, Vickie Keller
OOPs I meant to say I must RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. Sorry Ron. I certainly don't disrespect you.
{:
I must disrespectfully disagree with Ron's comment. MH's have not been registered by the DMV since June 15, 1976. They are regulated and registered by the California Housing and Community Development Department (HCD). Additionally, for the record, a new MH is sold by an HCD licensed "Manufactured Home Sales Person" who works under a licenensed HCD "Manufactured Home Dealer. I'm a licensed dealer and RE broker and can handle any MH transaction.

That stated some PRE HUD MH's still remain under the DMV if they have never transferred to the HCD. However, they are growing increasingly rare and as I mentioned in my other comment I would strongly recommend not purchasing anything that's PRE HUD.
My first question and concern above and beyond the taxes and fees would be the age of the home. I would recommend staying away from any MH that's a PRE HUD, built before June 15, 1976. PRE HUD homes in fact homes as old as a 1979 were built utilizing many caustic and carcinoginic chemicals i.e. formaldihyde and asbestos.

A lot depends on where the park/community is located. Is it in the path of progress? Is it well maintained? What is the monthomg rent/lease obligation? Another thing you really want to do is have the home inspected by an experienced MH inspector and not just any inspector as there are several nuances about MH's that you will not find in a site built home.
Sellers often times do not consider all cash to be that important. It is nice, but if they have a choice the highest price will be in their best interest. It will be easier for you though, because mobile home lenders are a little more tricky to find, but I have one I work with.
Fees are the monthly rent, some where between $600-$1000, depending on the complex. There are several complexes where there is an age requirement of 55+. There will be some fees for closing but they are minimal for an all-cash deal.
Property taxes are $0 if it is a true mobile home. If the mobile home has a foundation, there will be property taxes on the improved part only. Let's say $60K is the improved value. Taxes per year will be $60K times .0125% totals $750 per year. It can not go up more than 2% per year.
I hope this helps.

Let me know if I can help, now or in the future.

Stasia Poiesz
Alain Pinel Realtors
925-339-3077