Home Buying in Port Richey>Question Details

Robert And A…, Home Buyer in Hudson, FL

We are planning to move to Port Richey later this year. What areas are better to buy in? Are there many problems there with sinkholes? Would it be?

Asked by Robert And Anita Richgels, Hudson, FL Sat Apr 6, 2013

better to rent for a few months and get familiar with the area before buying?

Answers

5
-
-
With very close friends as Geo Tech Engineers in the Tampa Bay area that handle Sinkhole claims, I'm telling you...... stay aware from that whole area if you have a choice.

Contact me and I'll send you a sinkhole map of that area and it looks like its been hit with a rapid fire paintball gun!

Many choose that area for the lower home prices, but fail to consider the following:

1. lower appreciation
2. higher insurance costs (Ex: $100 mo = approx. $25,000 in home price)
3. terrible drive to civilization and jobs in Tampa and Clearwater (take a ride down US 19 during morning, evening rush hours and then on the weekends, its a nightmare!)
4. more money in gas costs to drive anywhere
5. the constant worry about every so called "settlement crack" that opens up on the walls and foundation, driveway, pool, etc.

....I'm just say'in, if you have a choice consider buying more south.

---
There are many great properties available here in Port Richey and the surrounding area. Anywhere in Florida you most likely will have a sink hole. It's lke a Tornado or anything else, we always have a threat but we pray it never happens.

If you are worried about a Sink Hole you can always go online and see if there has been any activity in the area your looking in. You are able to check if anyone on the street has had one or if there is one close by.

Also, there are the Home Owners Buyers Disclosures which should tell you if there has been any activity close to the home you are looking at. I hope this helps in your endevor and you will love, love, love the area, take it from one that lives here. Close to the beaches and our taxes in Pasco are lower than surrounding counties.

Florida Luxury Realty 727-415-4669
Just FYI the further south you go, the higher the home price. GUARANTEED. But yes the man is right. There's a reason it's called Port Nowhere. Dunedin is great, Palm Harbor and Clearwater are sooo congested, the homes are nicer in some spots. But Tampa? Stay away from that area. Dunedin and Safety Harbor are your two best bets. Hudson is known for the sinkholes.
-
-
--------STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm located in the Tampa Bay area, a native, and there is NO WAY, knowing what I know as a resident, a Florida Mortgage Broker and from friends who are Engineers that do Sinkhole work, would I buy a property in that area.

Yes, the redfish and snook fishing is good up there, but after that and after visiting the Sponge Docks, what do you have in Port Rickey? Nothing but a BORING place to live that is too far away from anything else.

Home prices are cheaper? Please! The extra cost of home insurance and the gas you'll spend driving to civilization would allow you to buy a comparable home elsewhere....that's not going to SINK into the earth! lol

Come south and look at homes in Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Clwtr., Safety Harbor, Tampa, etc.

====
Wow. Maybe you need to visit the area again before slamming it. Also, you may want to consider the fact that Dunedin, Palm Harbor, Clearwater etc.. have a much higher sales price and much higher taxes which may not be attainable for may people.
Sinkholes are found throughout the state and your implication that Pinellas is sinkhole free is not only misleading but grossly inaccurate.
Your lack of professionalism is very apparent by your statements.
Flag Fri Aug 23, 2013
Sometimes renting is a good idea if you aren't sure about the area. If you are from Hudson you are very close to Port Richey, although I think you will find that there are great, quaint amenities in Port Richey around the river. As far as sink holes there is a website that can be accessed that show the prevalence of reported sink holes in the area.
Sylvia Weigand Mihara & Assoc 813-846-8278
We are moving from Wisconsin.
Flag Sat Apr 6, 2013