Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

PAHomeBuyer, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

We are planning on moving to Charlotte metro area from Philadelphia area and looking for large home in the area and recommendation for area.

Asked by PAHomeBuyer, Charlotte, NC Tue Aug 6, 2013

Looking for a large home (5000 sq ft) for four adults and three kids in a good school district. What areas would you recommend? Being from northeast, we were looking for a house with basement but I know that will be hard to find.

Answers

15
Raine Spivey’s answer
I would recommend a quick conversation with me. I am from New York City, and lived in Charlotte for 10 years now. There are certain areas you may hear about, but may not fit your comfort.

My name is Raine Spivey, and I am a BROKER/REALTOR/OWNER.

I can be reached at (704) 931-8133.

My website is http://www.GotRealEstateNeeds.com.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Raine
Good evening, PAHome
There are currently almost 500 homes with 5000+ s.f. within 25 miles of Uptown Charlotte. (link below) 280 have a basement http://fusion.carolinamls.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=26… Many of these will be in excellent school districts http://www.trulia.com/blog/dfisher/2013/03/what_are_the_best… Obviously, price is going to drive this decision. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Web Reference: http://goo.gl/uGYDz5
There are many basement homes with over 5000 sq.ft. and are in very good school districts, it just depends on your price range. There is Waxhaw and Weddington; in the Charlotte area, Providence and Highland Creek, just to name a few. You may also want to consider the travel distance for the adults, to jobs or other daily routines. There are some beautiful homes in areas offering plenty of recreation and shopping. Charlotte is a great place to live. I will be happy to assist.
There are lots of areas to consider... South Charlotte is great. Depending on your budget you may have to be further out - into Union County. You also might want to look right over the state line in SC near Ft. Mill to get that size at a good price.
There are lots of newer construction homes with basements... but most of these are not like what you are used to in PA. Our soil is very heavy clay and doesn't drain well... so basements can be prone to moisture issues. They will all be open in the rear to the back yard... which means the yards are usually on a hill/slope.
You'll want to consider your commute if you are working in North Charlotte... you don't want to buy in South Charlotte. We have great communities all over the county. Your real estate agent will be able to help you pin point some good areas. In the mean time check out our neighborhood blog http://www.HipHoods.com . We have loads of info on some great neighborhoods.
Hello PA,

I hope you are doing well and getting excited for your big move to Charlotte. I would love to help you with your move. I moved to the Charlotte area a little over 6 years ago and I love it. I am very familiar with all areas in the Charlotte metro area including South Carolina. I recommend you check out Fort Mill/Tega Cay area. There are homes in this area that have basement lots. I have a home for you in mind. I can email it to you if you send me your email. This home has 5000 square feet and also has a basement. It is located on a Cul-da-Sac street and is in a neighborhood in Tega Cay, SC. Tega Cay, SC is about 2 miles from the border of Charlotte and about 20 minutes from the Uptown Charlotte. You should look up the school system for York County,SC and see what you think about the schools in this area. There are multiple places in the Charlotte area that are great. This area has a lot to offer everyone. I hope to be talking with you soon. Please contact me at the number below if you have any questions.

Christy Stone
619-865-3994
Christy.stone@allentate.com
christystonerealtor.com
Hello PAHomeBuyer,

I should be listing such a home soon waterfront Lake Norman in Cornelius. Would $925,000 be too expensive?

Robin Faison, broker
Greetings,

I welcome the opportunity to provide you and your family with a complete tour of our extraordinary city! I am sure that you will be happy with your relocation. Finding your new home is a critical part of that process. You will not have any issues finding a home that is 5000 sq ft with a basement.
I can provide you with links about schools in the area and you can make the best decision for your family.

Please feel free to call or email.

Kindest Regards,
Matthew Paul Brown
Vice President of Sales
Marilyn Hartley Realty
T 704.650.1928
Matthew@residecharlotte.com
http://www.residecharlotte.com
PAhomebuyer,

There are a lot of choices for you in that square footage. Basement homes in the south are not as common as they are in the Northeast. I am originally from Connecticut and moved here 8 years ago. I was a little surprised by the lack of basements.

You can find basement homes in south Charlotte with close to that square footage and in Union county definitely. Both areas will offer you good school choices. There are other questions as to what else you may be looking for in a home and features you may want in a house.

I deal a lot with out of state buyers and I would love the opportunity to help you locate the right house. Please feel free to either e-mail me or call me. There are some options available to you and knowing what you want in a house will help narrow down the search for you.

In North Carolina the seller pays the fee for the buyers agent so my services (or anyone you choose) would be free of charge to you.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Coldwell Banker United
Cell:704-519-7895
ddicecco@cbunited.com
http://www.davedicecco.com
Hello PA Homebuyer. I live in Union county and we have several homes in My neighborhood fitting your criteria. Please contact me directly for more info.

Thanks.

Chris Cunningham NC/SC Realtor
704-241-5103
I would recommend Union County( just outside Mecklenburg County) lower taxes and school are top rated. You can live in Union county yet be in Downtown Charlotte in as little as 30 minutes. For example I have a listing in a gated community, 5 bedrooms, 5 full bathroom, master down, mini master up.Media room,and bonus room ,3 car garage, 3/4 acre lot fully irrigated, 5600 square feet. for $823,400. Call me or email me for additional details about this home or any other home in the area.

My service for buyers are free of charge. The seller pays my fees.

Peter Hatheway
RE/MAX
704-488-5509
PAhomebuyer,

Charlotte and the surrounding areas offer many different types of homes. The best way to determine the area you would like to be in is to start with asking yourselves the question about commute time. How far/close do you want/need to be to your place of employment? The next question would be about what type of amenities your family requires. Do you want to live in an area close to shopping and restaurants or would being a little further out suit your needs? As an agent, it would be helpful to know a little a out the area from which you are moving. I work with several transplant/Relication clients and would be happy to assist you I. Any way needed. Feel free to ask as many questions as possible! Kind regards

Andie Taylor
Hi Crystal,
What part of Philly are you from? I lived there for quite a few years. I would recommend South Charlotte area or Union County area. The schools are great and the area is very upscale. Some of the neighborhoods you may like are Piper Glen, Marvin Ridge, Providence Downs. Depending on where you will be working will have a lot to do with your location. Schools and commute time can be tricky in Charlotte so choose a good realtor to help guide you.

Donna
There are plenty of large homes with basements in South Charlotte - one I can think of right off the top is in Providence Plantation - folks that come from the NE tend to love the area.

Feel free to contact me at 704-443-8627 or visit our website - http://www.PropertiesinCharlotte.com. I would love to be your Realtor of choice.

Debbie Arriero
ABR, AHWD, ASP, CRS, e-PRO, GRI, SFR, SRES, REALTOR
Serving the Charlotte area since 1990
Licensed in North & South Carolina

Arriero Realty, Inc.
P.O. Box 77283
Charlotte, NC 28271
Office: 704-443-8627
ArrieroRealty@gmail.com
Hi!

Welcome to Charlotte!

You may be able to find a good size home with a basement in the South Charlotte area or down in Union County near Weddington/Waxhaw/Marvin.

Email me directly and I can help guide you through your relocation!

John Siddons
john.siddons@prucarolinas.com
I would recommend the area I live in, Concord, North Carolina. I moved here myself 4 years ago from Arizona and it has been great for me and my family. Other areas I would recommend and are familiar with is Huntersville, Harrisburg, Davidson, and Cornelius. If you would like more information please see my website http://www.laceproperties.com. If you would like a relocation packet you can email me directly at crystalbrown@kw.com. Congrats to you and your family on the move.