T2star, Home Buyer in 75063

We are not getting what we need from our buyer's agent. Do we owe the original agent anything if we start working with someone else?

Asked by T2star, 75063 Fri Oct 5, 2012

Our buyer's agent is not living up to our expectations. We send him addresses of homes we want to see and he opens the door for us to go inside and look. That's it. He has not provided us with any market analysis or comps. He has not asked us what we want and helped us to find it. He has not helped to research the properties we are looking seeing. He does not discuss strategy with us on how we can make an offer and negotiate a good price. I want to work with someone new and I just called him and told him that. We do not have a written, signed contract to work with him, but he has opened doors for us on about four separate days (~8 hrs total time). Do I owe him anything, or can I just move on? What if the new agent helps me buy a home that I saw originally with the first agent?

Answers

8
Hi T2star. I work the 063 zip. You don't owe him anything if you are unhappy with his services. If you purchase a home that he showed to you then it would most likely be appropriate for your new buyers agent to pay him a nominal referral fee, but not always. I hate to hear that your experience hasn't been a good one - but there are many good agents that can assist you, including me. I bet any one of those that have answered so far would improve your outlook - so please get in touch with someone who can interview you, help you with the issues you have communicated, someone who can advocate for you. Good agents do exactly that on a daily basis.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 5, 2012
By way of follow up, we did find a great agent. On our first meeting it was obvious that she had already done more homework than our previous agent had done during our entire time with him. We looked at several homes with her, including some that we had seen with the previous agent. We ended up buying one that we had seen with the previous agent. Our new agent helped us bid competitively and negotiated strongly on our behalf. We got a great deal and maintained an excellent relationship with the sellers. (Everyone seems to know everyone around here, so that was important to us). I don't believe that we could have achieved this outcome with our original realtor. I discussed the whole situation with the new realtor ahead of time and she and her broker said they would smooth things over with our first realtor. I left it at that.

Thanks all for the advice here. We have been in our new home for a year now and love it!
Flag Sun Nov 24, 2013
Hi there,

You should try to work it out with the first agent and just tell him exactly how you feel on here. I am sure he would apprecite the feedback you are giving him.

But either way, you are not obligated to pay him anything with a buyer rep agreement.

Please let me know if I can be any help.

You can visit my website at http://www.findyourtexashome.com.

Dixon
JP and Associate
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Ha! You are too kind! The opportunity to serve is thanks enough ;)

Good advice here. I'm glad to see that everyone is essentially in agreement. I am going to take the weekend off and then begin researching new Realtors. Will let the new Realtor contact the first Realtor to discuss any referral fee.
If you don't have a buyers rep agreement then should not be an issue. If you do have a rep. agreement any property shown would be agent is due commissions.

I would feel honored to assist you and your family.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE to our country !

It is all based on your "middle score" of the 3 credit reports. Who knows you might be quailfied now . Recommend contact mortgage broker determine status based on your loan application completed.

Contact my office Saturday where I can show you many amazing homes work with your family specifications and lender requirements

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
News Personality On Air Radio Show
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
With no contract....no buyer's representation agreement you have the option to work with someone else. Sounds like it is not the right fit. If you don't feel right, give him a gift card for $50 or $100 for gas. That may make you feel better and him feel better too. You could ask him for a referral to another agent in their office too.

I'd be happy to help you. My office is in this area. I think if you buy one of the homes you have seen already, be sure to take the next agent back to that house so they can see it too and offer advice.

I think a good suggestion might be for you to sit down with your next agent before ever looking at homes and talking through your expectations and what services they provide. Spend an hour or so before even looking at more homes. For example in most cases I normally would only run comps when we get serious about a particular home, not for every home you see.

Of course hearing about what you want and trying to find it is probably a top priority for most agents. Otherwise we're wasting your time and our time too. Now that's something I normally do in the beginning before we start, but also it's ongoing. The more you can talk in each house and tell us what you like and don't like helps us better understand what you want, what you can live with and what you can't live without.

Just let us know if we can assist you.

Bruce Lynn
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I think you owe him honesty. Tell him as kindly (but firmly) as possible why you are switching agents. That way, if he wants to stay in business, he can make changes. Better luck with your new agent.
Sounds like you need a different agent. I agree with Joe, maybe a referral fee is due to him. I would be happy to help you on the purchase of a home. I work throughout the DFW area.

Liz Renfro
William Davis Realty
214-924-9676
Lrenfro@sbcglobal.net