Home Buying in Chapel Hill>Question Details

gisa.rollin, Renter in Chapel Hill, NC

We are moving to RTP, I am looking for a great schools (elementary, middle and then high) We have recently moved from Paris area. Thank you for tips!

Asked by gisa.rollin, Chapel Hill, NC Tue Apr 16, 2013

We have 2 boys (2nd grade and 7th grade) We are looking for a good neighborhood and schools. We may rent first. If you have information on the NC RTP area please let me know!

Answers

11
Hi Gisa:

I have been a real estate broker for 15 years in the Chapel Hill market and only recently connected with this aspect of the Trulia web site, so I am responding late, knowing this may no longer be a concern for you.
Have you found a rental home or did you already buy a home? If you have any questions or continuing interest in learning about the local market and listings I will be happy to consult with you at your convenience. Mark 919-960-6332 civiokm@hpw.com
Bonjour!

Je'taime Paris!

Veuillez me contacter avec plus de détails au sujet de la maison que vous désirez. Je peux envoyer l'information sur la région de RTP. En tant qu'ancien professeur de collège , j'attends avec intérêt de vous aider dans l'endroit des écoles pour vos deux enfants.

Merci,
Hilda Parlér
Parlér Properties.com
919.357.4649
Hello Gisa,

If you haven't made a decision yet, I've got to recommend Chapel Hill.
Chapel Hill was ranked as the 10th Best Town in the Nation, thanks in no small part to the School System.

Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools: http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/

The average price for real estate is a bit higher in Chapel Hill than in its neighbor, Durham. But, I'm confident that i could find a listing to satisfy both you and your budget.

I would be happy to help!

Kendall Scoville
919-636-1754
kendall.scoville@allentate.com
Good Morning Gisa,
I assume that you have now looked into the ncreportcard.com site and chosen where you would like to live. Please give me a call if you would like someone to show you rentals and homes in that area.
Molly Keppler
Coldwell Banker, HPW
919-883-7758
kepplerm@hpw.com
Welcome! I studied in Paris when I was younger and what a great move this will be for you. You may have already heard that Carrboro is referred to as "The Paris of the Piedmont".

The schools are very good in our area, and the special programs and character of each vary. You've already been given the NC Report Card site that is a great place to start for stats.

In addition to being a realtor, I am a CRP -- a Certified Relocation Professional, i can probably offer you some good advice.

Feel free to connect by email or phone if you'd like to talk in more detail.

Reg Morgan, Realtor, CRP, GRI
919.624.3434
morganr@hpw.com
Hi there;
This is a question that is often asked (and discussed.) There are many excellent schools in the RTP area. It is easy to find a home with schools that will fill your requirements. However, finding the right home at the right price to go with the right schools might be a little more challenging. It depends upon your budget and your lifestyle needs.

I often sit with new clients and go over their tastes, hobbies, interests, activities and even personalities to help them to decide what part of the Triangle might work for them. Seeing a pretty neighborhood isn't always the answer. People need to know what to expect when moving to an area. I usually recommend that people research on the Internet before making a move. (When we relocated to this area many years ago, I wanted to know what to expect. I wanted to be with people who were diverse but also open-minded, well-educated, and interested in some of the things that interested me. I found a neighborhood and area where I felt welcomed and comfortable. To me that was important. I didn't want to be the 'Lone wolf'. By researching the lifestyles and by talking to local residents I was assured that we were making the right move.)

As a REALTOR I am limited by what I can say about neighborhoods and residents. There are laws that protect classes and prohibit us from answering certain questions. We cannot 'steer' clients to certain areas that we think would be right for them. Finding a REALTOR who is knowledgeable about the schools, the neighborhoods and the locale is helpful. However it is far more important to consider the entire package. Your children will not only be attending school. They will also be playing with friends, going to after-school activities such as sports or other classes. Talk to a REALTOR who can help you discover where the parks are; the local classes; the soccer or baseball fields; the hiking and biking trails; where the stores are; the restaurants; the local theaters. Consider your work and leisure activities and the commute to those activities. Consider how your children will get to school and what arrangements are currently in place for transportation. You might even consider contacting the school district’s information officer to discuss the options of the various schools. It is not just about test scores. I have looked at the offerings in the five main school districts within the Triangle Area and have found that there is quite a variety among the well-rated schools. As a parent I would want to know what works best for my own children. It may not always be the obvious choice with the highest test scores.

I hope that this helps you in some way. I realize that you would probably have preferred a short and sweet answer that pointed you in one direction. However, when buying a property you are not only purchasing a house; you are making a home for your family.

I wish you all the best in this decision. If I can be of any service I would be happy to assist you further.

Warm Regards,
Jessica Bryan
Owner/Broker House to Home Realty Services
jjbryan01@aol.com
I've always found the following website extremely helpful for learning about schools in certain areas.

http://www.ncreportcard.com/src/
We are building custom homes in a fourteen home subdivision located within an existing neighborhood in Carrboro, NC. Lloyd Square.com is a five minute walk to both McDougle Elem. and McDougle Middle Schools, both of which are very highly ranked. This is a wonderful area. Carrboro is a progressive, lively, friendly community. Chapel Hill/Carrboro Schools are among the most highly ranked schools in the state.
If you are thinking of renting first, you would be in a nice position to build a house. Our starting point is $459,000 for a 4 bedroom, 2000 sf home. Please see http://www.LaytonWheelerBuilt.com too for more info.

Layton Wheeler actually just built a custom home in Carrboro for a family who lived in France for a few years! If you go to the website, you will see the "Carrboro Craftsman."

Carrboro is an artsy, musical, interesting small town with a very active downtown area. One couple we built for who moved here from Santa Barbara commented that they have never seen so many people walking around! It is true, walking and biking to a destination are very popular here.

Best Wishes,
Mary Wheeler
Happy to help, I'd suggest for the best school data available checking out http://www.NCReportcard.org

You should also check out my website (link below) I have a lot if information both in the website itself as well as the blog on both the local schools as well as the general area.

I'm located here in Chapel Hill and would be happy to answer any questions; feel free to contact me directly through my profile here on Trulia.
Bonjour! I helped a family relocate from Paris a year ago. Schools in the Chapel Hill system are great, but there are many other great options in the RDU Triangle. Many families like to look at the Great Schools website: http://www.greatschools.org.
I have a listing at 902 Emory Drive in Chapel Hill that I think would meet your needs. I will be glad to show you other homes in the area as well.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller, Real Estate Broker
Coldwell Banker - Advantage