Susan, Home Buyer in New Canaan, CT

We are moving to North San Diego County in July with one high school Freshman. La Costa or Torrey Pines HS? Encinitas, Carlsbad or Carmel Valley?

Asked by Susan, New Canaan, CT Sat Jan 19, 2013

Work from home so commuting is not an issue.

Cindy Davis’ answer
Hi Susan,,

All or great communities. You can't go wrong with any of them. Where you end up with likely depend on 1) your budget 2) the type of house you are looking for, and 3) your personal preferences.

Carmel Valley schools are award winning and exceptional. The others are not bad at all, but Carmel Valley is known for its schools. Houses are modern - the oldest in the neighborhood were built in the late 19809's. Family homes start in the mid to high $600's.

Encinitas tends to have more older homes. with a bit more of a yard. The newer home sections of Encinitas will cost you $700K and up.

Carlsbad is probably the most affordable of the neighborhoods. La Costa is older, and quite lovely. Home lots are larger and La Costa homes are affiliated with the Encinitas school district. North Carlsbad homes send their children to San Marcos schools.

If you want an award-winning school, Carmel Valley is it. But I recommend spending some time looking around when you get here. Determine which community you are most comfortable in, and where you find a home you like.

I would be delighted to assist you in any way possible. Feel free to contact me directly - I can send you listings, and show you around when you come to town.

Have a great day.

(619) 379-8616
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 19, 2013
Hi Susan,
As others here have mentioned, it is going to depend on what type of home you want and what your budget is. All are truly excellent schools. Feel free to contact me directly to assist you in seeing specific homes and taking a tour when you are in San Diego next.

Another thing to look forward to?
Temperature today:
San Diego- 75 degrees
New Canaan- 16 degrees

Looking forward to working with you!

Sinead McAllister
McAllister Homes Real Estate
Hi Susan,

We saw you had ask another question related to these areas and we answered with many stats. As for questions related to neighborhood preferences, schools or what areas are safe, agents are not allowed to answer them due to federal regulations. Jerry gave you a great tool to rate schools. You can also use Another good method is to Google the school's reputations and look for trends in the data.

We hope this helps,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
You have mentioned possibly two of the best schools in San Diego. As others have stated it really depends on your budget. We are a family owned and operated real estate brokerage, general contractor and interior design company with over 100 years of combined experience in the North San Diego Coastal area.

We'd love to work with you on your decision. We are located in Encinitas, Solona Beach and Vista. Please feel free to log onto our very user friendly websites:
All the agents below have given you good advises. These are all great areas and wonderful schools. It will all depends where you would be working and how far you like to commute. It would also be a good idea to start working with an agent to get familiar with prices and homes so by the time you are in San Diego you would know where you like to live.
Best wishes.
Raana Jamshide
Hello Susan~

I see that you have done your preliminary research and narrowed your search down to great school districts and all have a wonderful Southern California lifestyle. As Cindy and Jerry have already mentioned: take a look at each of the areas and make a decision based on what feels comfortable and most exciting to you. Some people prefer to be near the Beach and to breathe it in every day and enjoy being as close as possible for walks, sunsets and just the calming waves. Otherwise try this and determine that it is sunnier if you move inland a little more like Carmel Valley. When we experience "May Gray" and "June Gloom", sometimes the sun is not out until mid day. I love all of it, and I thinks it's cozy to have a morning marine me it is one of our seasons along with day light savings time : ) It is all personal preference. All of the areas mentioned have pockets of neighborhoods with a high "walk Score" which many buyers are putting at the top of there wish list now too.

We are all happy to help you narrow it down. I recommend finding a like minded
Agent that you can really connect with and save some time narrowing things down to your Dream Neighborhood!

CT to CA is a big transition and I am glad to help. Welcome to the next chapter and a new Lifestyle...You are moving to America's Finest City which many claim has the BEST Climate in the World.

Best of Luck with your move!

Chris Gorno
Windermere Real Estate
DRE# 01499885
You can't go wrong with any of the school districts that you mentioned, all are good. Here is a link to some sites that may be of help to you.…
Work with a Realtor to find the best community for you. I lived in and raised my children in Vista and they all went on to college and great careers. Much of the success that your child will have in school depends on your involvement. So find a community that you are comfortable with and get involved in the community.
I would be glad to help if you have any other questions.

Local Help with Your Real Estate Needs

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Best next action is to ask a local Real Estate Broker by clicking "Find a Pro" in the main menu at the top of this website.