lindaannterry, Renter in Winchester, MA

We are moving to Boston from europe. We loved Winchester. Info on schools for 13 year old and areas to concentrate our house search?

Asked by lindaannterry, Winchester, MA Wed Aug 22, 2012

Answers

13
ccurtis’ answer
We moved to Winchester from NL and we love it! People are so friendly and there is a real community feel. There are no private schools here, you have to drive at least 15-20 mins and many of the top private schools are up to 45 minutes away. The public schools are excellent - the middle (approx 1000 students) and high school (approx. 1200 students) serve the whole town. But it's really tough to find a rental property here, good luck and welcome!
Hi Ccurtis, I am glad you love it. Really hoping to find somewhere to rent. Thanks for the thumbs up on Winchester.
Flag Wed Sep 12, 2012
I know of a wonderful 2 bedroom rental coming online in February. If anyone is looking, please let me know!
I'm a full time buyers agent in Winchester. If anyone needs help in finding a home in lovely Winchester please give me a call. I have many testimonials from buyers and sellers that will show you how happy they were with my services.

I work very hard and love what I do.

If you need school information or any information about Winchester please just ask.

Danielle DeVarne
508-769-9455
Rental vacancy rates are low, so you may be able to find an area/town you like in September, but anything available for rent in September will most likely be leased for October or Nov. 1st. Renters give notice (usually a month) and the unit gets listed for rent. The landlord wants to get it occupied as soon as possible, so allowing for a little clean-up time in between, there is usually not much more than a 6 week lag.

You didn't say where you lived in Europe, but I spent 7 years in Brussels and the rental market there was very different from here. It seemed most people rented there, while more people buy here. So there are fewer available places to rent as a result. Rental units make up about 20% of the housing supply in Winchester.

Another town you might look at is Belmont. Similar size, excellent schools, close to Boston, etc, but rental units make up close to 40% of the housing there. Parts of Cambridge might work for you too!

You should be able to find something nice in your price range. Are you looking for a single family house vs a condo? How about a townhouse?

Anyway, feel free to email me with questions.

Deb
We are living near geneva. Thanks for the advice. I will also look in Belmont. I guess I am keeping an open mind about what kind of property we will take. As long as it has a yard. We will eventually want to buy but not until we know we are settling. Again thanks for the info . Linda
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
Thanks I just changed my profile to renter. We will be coming over in the second or third week in september to see if we can find anything for December. Keep your fingers crossed that we get lucky. 15 houses does not sound a lot and I have kind of set my heart on Winchester. We are not looking to spend more than 5000 dollars per month.
I like the sound of what people say about the family friendly aspect of Winchester. Are there other places I should consider?

best
Linda
My family I that just found a home in Winchester is buying a 2 family and will be renting the other part:). Feel welcome to contact me directly.
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
I just realized that you might be talking about renting in Winchester, not buying. Your question was posted under "home buyiing" but your signature says "renter". There are not a lot of rental homes in Winchester, and they do go fast. Rentals are also a little harder to find inthe fall and winter as most people move inthe spring and summer. There are about 15 houses for rent at the moment, but that doesn't include apartments.
People buy and sell all year. Those concerned about being in place at the start of the year should hopefully be out of your competition pool. Since its a small town and desirable be prepared to act fast.
Thanks for your replies. Our choice is based partly on the public schools but also just the 'feel' of the place as we drove through and stopped at one house to view. Is the fall a bad or good time to be looking for somewhere to live in Boston?
I just helped a family find a lovely home in Winchester yesterday! They have chosen it for many reasons, but they particularly liked that so many kids walk to school. Best wishes in your search. I'd be interested to find out what appealed to you about Winchester so that you might find other communities if you cannot find a home that suits you there.

Best wishes!
Fall can be a great time to buy, especially a family home. There's normally a flurry of buying/selling in the spring. Early fall still has some shoppers and often without the competition of spring. Closer to holidays, real estate slows. Remember, all it takes is one home! It may come up any time of year. Another perk of fall shopping is seeing the trees without leaves. It may not look as beautiful, but you may get a fuller picture of the properties features aside from trees.
Flag Thu Aug 23, 2012
Greatschools.org is also a great site to check out, as it includes rankings as well as parent reviews.Winchester is terrific. There are lots of lovely areas of town.
Winchester is a great town - highly rated schools, easy commute to Boston via commuter rail, etc. There is one middle school (for your 13 year old) and one high school, so it doesn't matter which part of town you live in. You may not find a lot of inventory- it will depend on your price range. There are currently about 50 homes on the market (although 9 have accepted offers), ranging from $400K for an "as is" to $3,250,000 for a beautiful "farmhouse". Average list price is about $1M. The town is small, so you would be fine in almost any section!
Schooldigger . Com is a great resource. There's a commmuter rail stop in winchester center and a few restaurants. That draws a lot of people. Other than that it is a small town, all of it is nice. I'm happy to help you look.
Winchester is a fairly small town. As for schools are you looking for public or private?