Home Buying in Chapel Hill>Question Details

Appu, Home Buyer in Chapel Hill, NC

We are moving from Ohio. We want to buy a house in Chapel Hill built after 2005, with 3 bed rooms. Elementary school rating is very important to us.

Asked by Appu, Chapel Hill, NC Sat Nov 3, 2012

Answers

13
Appu

I am also a native of Ohio before moving to Chapel Hill 14 years ago (by way of NY). Being a college town near the Research Triangle Park, Chapel Hill is diverse and somewhat transient with lots of residents (professionals and professors) staying for short periods of time, say 1 - 3 years. Consequently there are lots of rental options. I found it very helpful to rent for a year before I purchased so that I could find the neigborhood I really wanted to buy into. More than half of all Chapel Hill residents are renters and that wont change anytime soon.

All of the schools are excellent but all are different. Before you look at a single home I strongly suggest that you take the tour of the schools. Each school makes it very easy to have a tour guided by a parent during school hours. That lets you get a feel for the unique physical and emotional context of each school and match that to you and your child/children's preferences.

Chapel Hill has many different types of neigborhoods and topographies, unlike most of flat Ohio unless you are from southern Ohio. It can be extremely hilly here and that does matter with children. Also, some areas are easy walks to shops and restaurants while others are strictly driving distance. Think about the lifeestyle (biking, walking, limited traffic) in addition to house features.

Feel free to call or email anytime 919-358-3662 or todd11@aol.com.

And finally, go Bucks.

Todd Neal
I agree with Larry- the whole school system is fantastic and you should honestly be fine at any of the elementary schools. A word of caution to investigate as you search, especially if you start to identify specific schools you prefer to have your children attend- the CHCCS School System is in the midst of redistricting. There is a new (the 11th) elementary school opening in the Fall of 2013 and the whole district needs to be shuffled to fill this new school and to alleviate overcrowding at some of the other schools. The 4 plans that the school board will consider have been identified and will be available for review on the CHCCS web site within the next few days. A decision should be made in early January. I have two children in the CHCCS schools, one in 5th grade and one in 8th grade. The McCormick Team would be honored to assist you with your relocation. Please check " http://;www.themccormickteam" for more information as well as a page of client testimonials. Best of luck to you, this is a fabulous area to relocate to!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Chaepl Hill has an excellent school system, and quite honestly as long as your within the school system it hardly matters. If you're interested in getting hard data on the various scools I reccomend http://www.NCReportCard.org as the best site for this.

What can be difficult for for byers not familiar with the area is that there are a lot of areas outside the school district (and the county for that matter) that have Chapel Hill mailing addresses. (Parts of north Chatham county and west Durham county), and while they have a Chapel Hill mialing address they are not within the Chapel Hill / Carrobor school district.

Given that you state you want a house no older than 2005 your options will be limited to no more than a dozen neighborhoods and perhaps less depending on your price range. You should be thinging $350,000+/- on the lower end.

I specialize in buyer side brokering and do not engage in dual agency (in other words working both sides of a singel transaction..) You can find out more about me by checking out my profile here on Trulia or simply Googling my name. If I can be of any further assistane feel free to contact me directly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Here we are, all competing to work with you. You are in a very fortunate position. I've lived all over the country, though not Ohio, know what it is like to move frequently with kids. What you will like about this area is it is fairly easy to get integrated into the community, though it takes some effort on your part.

Every school in the Chapel Hill Carrboro school system has its share of raving fans, and then a few who aren't so happy. In general, there are more fans at the elementary level, and then as school and life for our kids becomes more complex and more issues arise, raving fans become more quiet fans, and it isn't until our kids graduate college that we look back and can evaluate their school years.

The more energy you put into the schools, the more satisfied you'll be with their experience. That is true no matter where you live. In general, the schools here are very good so you'll be able to concentrate on location, neighborhood, home style and other intangibles because our elementary schools are excellent.

If you want Spanish immersion, you'll need to go to Carrboro Elementary. Chinese immersion is Glenwood.

I hope this helps. Happy to talk with you any time.
Web Reference: http://crazyvivhomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
I am a realtor for The Preserve at Jordan Lake Realty. We have a Chapel Hill mailing address but are located in Chatham County where we enjoy beautiful scenery and lower taxes. The Preserve at Jordan Lake surrounds a Davis Love Golf Course. All custom homes dot the landscape. Amenities include a pool, tennis courts, soccer field, fitness center, recreation area all included for $900 a year. Golf Course fees are optional and reasonable. I can also introduce you to any area in Orange and Chatham Counties. Please check out our website at http://www.thepreserverealtyinc.com.
Having lived in the Chagrin Falls area for 25 years, I am familiar with Ohio. Go Browns!!!
Bonnie Shafer
440-7083583
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
I moved here 17 years ago with 2 young children and 3 pets, so I know how difficult moving can be. We chose Chapel Hill for the schools and our children had very successful experiences there. Having relocated several times, I feel like kind of an expert on the subject. I have spent 15 years helping families find homes here and would love the opportunity to help you. Please contact me directly at lindam@hpw.ciom. Tell me a little about what your looking for ( price range, etc) and I can get you started. I look forward to hearing from you. Linda Martin, Coldwell Banker HPW
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Good evening; My name is Faye Kamrani. I am a competent real estate consultant working with Fonville Morisey Realty. For the past seven amazing years, I have thoroughly focused helping families to buy and sell real estate in Chapel Hill and the surrounding area.
My incredible teams and I work in our distinguished office in Chapel Hill. I moved from Columbus, Ohio to Chapel Hill 12 years ago. I raised two Daughter in Chapel Hill school system. I have worked in Chapel Hill school system for many many years. I can answer any question about school system. Feel free to contact me. Please see below for my contact information and my website.
Best regards, Faye
____________________
Faye Kamrani GRI,Realtor
Certified Residential Specialist,
Graduate REALTOR® Institute,
Your Real Estate Consultant for Life
Fonville Morisey Realty, A long and Foster Co.
Executive's Club Award Winner! 2008-2011
919-619-3609 Mobile
919-595-0533 Fax
Email: Fkamrani@fmrealty.com
http://www.liveintriangle.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
I am a Chapel Hill agent and have two children in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro school system, and my wife works at an elementary school in the district as well. I'll be happy to assist you. Please visit my webpage to learn more about me and my firm and you can contact me there is interested.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Hi, my name is Kitty Stockton, and I am a Chapel Hill agent. I have been here since 1994, and I too have school age children---two boys. Please visit my website at http://www.KittyStockton.com for more info. My plede is to help make your move as stress free as possible. Please read what all the customers have said about me on my site, as well as my credentials. We are glad you are coming. You will love "the Southern part of heaven". I hope to be of service. If you prefer to call my number is 919-215-4109. All the best, Kitty Stockton
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Hi: My office is in Chapel Hill and help I buyers relocate to the area. My website has links to school ratings and other information on the area, along with the steps to buying a home and my contact information. I'd be happy to help you relocate to the area. Please give me a call or contact me via email so we can discuss the Chapel Hill area and your priorities in a home search, local lenders, etc. Thanks, Susan
Web Reference: http://www.thewalserway.us
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
I have a new listing i am putting on the market in Ephesus Chapel Hill walk zone. I would ne happy to show it to you. It shows new with its fresh updates.
Deborah Miller 919-491-2826
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
I work with lots of people relocating to the area, including quite a few from the Buckeye State.... contact me at 919-452-3751 or adam@501realty.com and I'd be glad to help you with your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
I moved from the DC area in 2001 and I would love to help you find your new home in Chapel Hill, if you could email me a list of needs and wants I would be happy to send some homes your way.
Michael
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012