Ds, Home Buyer in Glastonbury, CT

We are looking to purchase a home in Elmhurst, Il. We are not from the area and have an agent from Chicago. Do we need an agent in Elmhurst?

Asked by Ds, Glastonbury, CT Sun Sep 2, 2012

Are homes usually selling by word of mouth in Elmhurst or is it that difficult to find a home close to town?

I think you use an agent that you are comfortable with. That being said, I am always under the impression that a local realtor is a bit better. But again, that is an opinion. Give me a shout if you need to get prequalified for a mortgage!

Sean Cochran
Quality Mortgage Lending
630-470-6830 office
630-330-2229 cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
It is very often helpful to have someone that is familiar with the specific area you are looking for. I am an agent in Elmhurst and have found that clients do like to have people familiar with the area they are looking in and around. But it is always up to you as the client who you are comfortable with.
Not always, but it is nice when a agent is familiar with the inventory. I grew up in Elmhurst and spent 20 years of my life there. It is a great town. I have had fun watching it change over the years. Most of my family still lives there. I have moved one town over so not too far. You should really just make sure your agent is professional and is current on market conditions. The market is like a living breathing organism and is constantly changing. It is best to have someone who does it full time and is active. Best of luck if you have any questions let me know :-)

I am a local mortgage broker and would be happy to help you get pre-qualified to buy a home!

We work with over 30 lenders to help you get the best possible financing. Our lenders will go as low as a 580 score on an FHA mortgage. SMC carries an A+ Better Business Bureau Rating and has worked in the community for over 15 years! Please call me at 630-478-2684, email or visit my website get started.

I look forward to working with you.

Patty Harrison
Smart Mortgage Centers
patty@smarmtgs.net / http://www.smartmortgageinc.com
I think you do need an agent who has an office located IN Elmhurst. You need someone who is really connected to the town as Joe says. The market is and has always been pretty tight here and most agents don't purposely keep their listings as "pocket" listings but by posting in your own office or chatting them up at a meeting they tend to sell before hitting the MLS. Interview your agent in person in their office. Buying a home is a big purchase and you shouldn't leave it to chance.
We are selling in Elmhurst!

Our home was published in Chicago Home and Garden: http://www.chicagohomemag.com/Chicago-Home/Spring-2012/The-C…

Check out our listing: http://www.koenigstrey.com/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyItem…
If you have an allegiance to your agent in Chicago, see if they are willing to help. If not, they can certainly either refer you to an agent, or you can find one of us from the area. Agents do appreciate clients asking them for advice or referrals and your agent can tell you if they feel comfortable helping you in the Western suburbs. You may be surprised; many agents from downtown live out in the burbs! Elmhurst is a wonderful community and there are many agents (me included!) willing to help you find your new home; if your agent is not up to the challenge.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Hi Ds, as previously stated by by Alan and Cathi, you don't necessarily need an agent from Elmhurst as we all travel within a certain comfort/knowledge level. I am a RE/MAX agent based in downtown Elmhurst. The Elmhurst market has certainly been affected by the housing downturn but is somewhat insulated and stronger than many of the surrounding towns. I can tell you that homes don't often sell "word of mouth" without being listed in the MLS, but you do have to be on top of it as the best values/locations do go quickly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Elmhurst is a very sought after town so properties sell quickly - especially if they're priced well. You need an agent who will be right on top of the find for you and you have to see them soon after they show up on the MLS.

"The early bird gets the worm!"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
I live in Elmhurst, my office is in Elmhurst. Nothing's really word if mouth, unless there's an estate that's about to be listed and the agent has a pocket listing just before they upload into the MLS.

Ask your agent if there comfortable showing in Elmhurst and if they want to truck all the way out here. Ask them if there familiar with a the different areas of Elmhurst, such as: crescent park, cherry farm, tuxedo park, Bryn haven, Elmhurst highlands, Stratford hills, college view, etc.

I'm always willing to work with your agent of you want him/her to call me.

Joe DiCianni
DiCianni Realty
533 Spring Rd
Elmhurst il 60126
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Hello, Cathi. I live in the suburb next to Elmhurst and have been a full time real estate professional for 21 years. I'd welcome the opportunity to advise you in the area but please ask your real estate agent in the City if he/she has good knowledge of the area before you start working with another agent.

Most real estate professionals work a wide geographic area and those of us who make this a full time business usually have extensive knowledge of most areas we work in. Who knows, the agent you're working with in the City may have once lived out this way! Ask!

If you do decide to work with another agent call me for an interview and see if we're a good fit for each other. I just closed on an Elmhurst property, put a renter in another and am working on another sale there - all in the last 3 weeks!

Janet Baier
RE/MAX Destiny
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012

You don't need an agent from Elmhurst necessarily, but be sure the agent is works Elmhurst and is comfortable with it.

I personally work a 25 mile radius from O'Hare Airport with clients in 6 counties because I am a full time broker and I make it my business to know how to assist my clients.

My office is actually in Park Ridge, but I live a distance from there.

If you don't have an agent, I'd be happy to talk with you to see if you feel I might be a good fit.

To answer your question about in town homes, most of Elmhurst homes are on the Multiple Listing Service and not for sale by owner or word of mouth, so you should see a selection depending on your price point.

Cathi Weaver
Keller Williams Realty Partners
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Elmhurst is a fair distance from the Chicago... but it's very possible that your agent is familiar enough, and willing to show in Elmhurst.

The best way to determine this is to ask him/her. Are you comfortable showing us properties in Elmhurst, are you knowledgeable regarding the streets, schools, parks, etc... ? And are you willing to take us out there?

If not, it might be nice to allow your Chicago agent to refer you to an Elmhurst agent (presuming that they know someone who works that area... you don't want a "blind" referral, where they don't know the agent).

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL