Home Buying in Great Falls>Question Details

Homebuyer, Home Buyer in Great Falls, VA

We are looking to buy a house in Great Falls, VA because of the schools.

Asked by Homebuyer, Great Falls, VA Tue Jul 14, 2009

We wanted to know which neighborhoods are more sought after and are more likely to appreciate in future. Thanks!

Answers

5
Jay Seville’s answer
One of the risks in buying a home outside of Great Falls and Mclean for the Langley high school district is that the zoning for school districts could change. The first areas to lose their langley school district status are probably further out.

I have a Herndon listing that is in the Langley district, but the owner tells me it will lose its langley district status in the future even though that news is NOT at the county website. But is it worth the risk???

There is a reason that when you google "langley high school district homes for sale" you find my website #1.

Some good observations and answers were given by several agents here as well.
You're right, Langley is consistently in the top 5 high schools in Fairfax County and usually is #1.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 14, 2009
The question you ask here is time sensitive. As of today's market, due to tight lending standard, mid to lower price bracket homes in great falls will bring you best values and appreciation. It is difficult for buyers to get loans, especially jumbo loans. Underwriting rules change daily; even if you match their guideline, it doesn't mean the bank will lend to you. Forget about mortgage broker now. Bank is the way to go.

Yet I admin when years are good with real estate, those newer homes with open floor plan tend appreciate a bit more. As of today, their price drop is deeper. It all depends on your risk taking factor and time you plan to stay with your new GF home.

I live in Great Falls myself and I just sold a home priced just below 1 million, waiting for settlement.

Considering the fact that the average home price range is 1.2-1.3 millions, I would recommend you focusing on 1.2 million or below. There is about 10% negotiation range on listing price in general.

Great falls homes hold value very well I mean those under 1.2 million. People who moved in area rarely move out unless it is for retirement or relocation. That is one of the reasons value stays. There are homes around 700k or so. If commute is not a big issue for you, homes in GF closer to fairfax county pkwy offer more choices.

If you have not selected with a realtor, I'd like to introduce myself. Please contact me at valuerealtors@gmail.com. I provide closing help for buyers as well. Thanks!
If you're targeting Langley HS, Glenda is right - you don't have to be in Great Falls. I have no idea what your price range is, but all of the areas that feed into Langley are priced as if they are in a heavily desirable school district, if you know what I mean. But address is also part of the equation. Some desire to be in Great Falls or McLean because of the address, or commutes to DC or MD (fairly easy from those areas)... others are more focused only on the school and find that other areas feed into these schools, and while still very nice areas, are priced a little lower and offer a higher value. It all depends on your priorities. If you want to email me with your list of criteria, I can set up an automated search for you in the MLS that is based on the school district rather than the address - I don't think that public sites allow for that type of search. My email is vchrisner@kw.com
Just so you're aware, there are other neighborhoods besides Great Falls that also feed into Langley High School ... parts of Vienna, McLean and Herndon also feed into Langley High School.
Web Reference: http://www.GlendaCherry.com