Home Buying in Clarksburg>Question Details

washdccc, Home Buyer in Gaithersburg, MD

We are looking into Clarksburg Village. Would a realtor be in my best interest even though we are paying for the house outright?

Asked by washdccc, Gaithersburg, MD Fri Jul 13, 2012

Yes, you should hire an agent. The sellers will have an agent helping them to negotiate and manage the process. You should have representation too, to make sure you are making the right decisions.

Paying cash is great, but there's more to the process than managing the loan. There are thousands of dollars at stake - make sure you have someone in your corner who has seen the mistakes and knows how to avoid them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2012
Hi, it would be in your best interest to work with a realtor. There are many factors you must consider when purchasing, including a home inspection, appraisal... Your realtor can help you in case there are issues with the inspection (even with brand new homes, there can be inspection problems)... and if the appraised value came in lower than your purchase price, your realtor can help you get out of that bind. Most sellers already budgeted the buyer realtor fees upfront, so you might as well take advantage of it, and protect yourself from a nightmare transaction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2012
Hello washdccc:

As a resident of Clarksburg Village I can help you. Please call me at 240-888-7531.

Raj Sachdeva
Congressional Relocation Realty
Yes you should hire an agent. You want to protect yourself and pay the right amount of money for the property. Paying too much for a property could be the worse. I have excellent negotiation skills that may help you in purchasing your new home. Contact me!!
if you want to hire a realtor you can...or not. We just closed on a new home in Clarksburg Village and honestly, our realto didnt do much...but get paid, so good for her. But as far as getting a better price...NOPE! Granite counters are going to cost what they cost and in that area if you dont pay it someone else will. I know many of these realtors will tell you otherwise because naturally they promote their industry but I'm a consumer thats been through the 6 month long process of having a house built from the ground up...you can do it with or without them.
Check out this link to learn the value of having a Realtor on your side of the table in any transaction, whether a new or resale home.

Cathy Chapman
Signature Home Sales
301-514-6839 Cell
I am looking myself new homes in Clarksburg Village. It is always a good thing to have a realtor if you think there could be some risks in transaction. However if you are buying new home I think risks are less compared with the resale houses. I felt that not having realtor gives you an advantage in terms of price negotiation as builder can give most part of realtor's comission to you if negotiated well, which is a good sum. I also felt that having realtor for new houses reduces your chance of getting better prices. Overall I think for new construction a Realtor may not add that much value other than guide you through the process, which sales rep of builder would have to do any way.
Most definitely find a Realtor to represent you. The seller's Realtor works in the SELLER's best interest. Not yours. Two things to consider:
1. Under most circumstances, the seller is paying your Realtor for representing you, not you, so why would you NOT hire one?
2. It's probably a BETTER idea when paying cash because there are a few things a lender would have as requirements before they would loan the money for the house that you may not think of (and the listing agent may not suggest them to you since they are working in the seller's best interest) when paying cash. Such as: wood destroying insect inspection (commonly called a termite inspection, but other insects are included, like carpenter bees,) and an appraisal of the property. The bank does not want to pay/lend more than the house appraises for. If you don't have an appraisal, you are at risk of paying more than the house is worth.
Conversely, there is absolutely NO good reason NOT to hire your own Realtor. I can't think of ONE. There is no downside for you as a buyer.
Hi Washdccc,

It is always best to have someone representing your interest regardless how you are paying for the home.
If you are paying for the house "outright" then it sounds like you are paying cash and not using any financing for your purchase. Using a professional, knowledgeable REALTOR can help you negotiate the best price for your purchase and guide you through the process of purchasing the home. Even without a loan, you need to line up a home inspector, an appraiser, a title/settlement company... Your best bet is to ask a trusted friend for a referral to a good REALTOR - one that will put your best interests first. Hope that helps! :)
Hi Washdccc,

Absolutely, but shop for your Realtor in advance and make sure the one you choose is a good match. Your representation is paid for by the seller in most cases. Many buyers searching on their own feel that they will save money by cutting out an extra agent, but in reality all you really do is get the listing agent (who represents the Seller) a double commission.
I live in Clarksburg and am very familiar with the community. Are you looking to buy new construction or resale? A realtor is definitely necessary for a resale, regardless of your financing source. The agent can handle the negotiation (price and terms), the inspections, coordinates the title work, etc on your behalf.

If you are buying new construction with the builder, a realtor is helpful, but our help is limited as the builders rep does alot of the job. Also, if you've already been to the model and talked to a sale rep, most builders will not honor a realtor.
We are looking into both new and resale homes. We have visited models and chatted with the reps but no discussions on purchasing. Also, if looking into a foreclosed home and paying outright does the bank still take my not so hot credit into consideration?
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012
I am lender not a Realtor but I suggest you do hire one to represent you. They will be so helpful if you get the right one. Speaking of that I know several highly experienced agents that know the Clarksburg area very well. I would talk to 2-3 and see which one is the best fit. If you would like me to provide a few names just email me and I will give you the best ones I know. You also don't pay them the seller does so why not use one?

Brent Mendelson
Senior Loan Officer
1ST Mariner Mortgage
Lending in all 50 states
Dear New Home Buyer,

Absolutely, you should have a Realtor represent you! It costs you nothing to have a real estate consultant and advisor on your side, especially someone who has a background in New Home sales as I have.

I am currently working with some clients with whom found me on this very website. I am saving them a ton of money through my negotiations on a Ryan Home in Clarksburg. In fact, we are writing the offer tomorrow and I am in the process of listing their house in Germantown.

Let me know if you'd like my expertise on your side of the table as well. I'd be happy to help and am sure my current clients would speak to you to let you know how much I've helped them in this process. So, let me know if you'd like to speak to them.

Cathy Chapman, Broker
Signature Home Sales
301-514-6839 Cell
Thank you for the advice. We are not looking to purchase and move until next spring or early summer but I will keep you in mind. I am in a great position as of now because I currently rent...no waiting to sell something!
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012