Home Buying in Moraga>Question Details

Jdw, Home Buyer in Sammamish, WA

We are looking in Moraga and wanted to make sure the community is good for a large family. Not interested in the snob factor that you get in

Asked by Jdw, Sammamish, WA Sat Feb 25, 2012

Danville or Orinda, etc. Any thoughts? Is it more "normal" like Walnut Creek or is there a "snob factor"? Candid responses truly appreciated.

Answers

10
Moraga Mom’s answer
Moraga is a GREAT place for all sizes of families. Top CA schools and safe, friendly, involved community. I raised my daughter there since she was barely three and now she's in high school and we're already planning for college. Time flies! She just took the PSAT and scored very well and the results are in comparison to a grade higher. I think her results are reflective of the quality of schools here -of course that is aside from the fact that she's also very bright and intelligent. ;-) Regarding 'snob' factor, I have rarely encountered that, though you may run into a old cranky senior citizen from time to time at Safeway. The majority of people here are just hard working parents who are sacrificing for their kids to be in this safe community and schools.

Home values are still very solid and inventory is low so bottom line is if a great opportunity comes your way jump on it because I hear there are multiple offers and going within a few days if not hours.

Moraga Resident (13 yrs and not an agent)
Hi Jdw,

I've been living in Moraga for 3 years now and it is great for families! There are a lot of large families here - with 4+ children and extended families that live in Moraga. Seems like many people who grow up and go to school in Moraga move away for college and their 20s and then return in their ~30s with kids, so some families have the grandparents living in / around Moraga. Of course many families don't have extended family in Moraga also :), but some do...

Haven't found much 'snob factor' here at all - I think it helps that Moraga is a little quieter than other towns around so there are fewer places to "be seen." To give you a sense of some of the 'small town' aspects there is an annual fireworks display that the town sponsors, weekly free music in the commons where people bring blankets and eat hot dogs, etc. and a pear festival, etc. As some others have said, most people in Moraga are working hard to raise their families and enjoying all the activities in town.

Moraga Resident (3 yrs and not an agent)
families in Moraga are all sizes. People have in-ll;aws living with them as well as many children. Moraga is a great community for people of all ages. It is a quiet bedroom community with outstanding schools. It is one of the safest communities in the state. a beautiful park area in the Commons as well as Rancho Laguna, a smaller park down at the Southwest end of town. We have lived in Moraga for 32 years and raised our family here. It is a wonderful community.
JDW - I live in moraga with my family and I would highly suggest that you come down here and spend some time going through the neighborhoods and most importantly look at the academic statistics of the High Schools in Moraga/Orinda . Great town with good schools but very quiet and coulds use a few more restaurants. Spend a few days walking around and talk to some neighbors.
No question, Moraga is one of the top communities to live in Northern California. I grew up in this town and have been dealing in real estate over 30 years in Moraga. All the reasons that make Moraga a top place to live, include the states top ranked schools, lots of community programs, sports, activities; a very safe community with very little crime. If you do have a large family...if that means you might have many kids, it is good to know that Moraga, largely developed in the 1960's and 1970's, is predomately a 3 and 4 bedroom community. There are 5 bedroom homes, but many of the original developments did not have 5 bedroom plans. If the home has been modified, it may be of any size and accommodate 5 bedrooms. 5 bedroom plans existed originally in Campolindo homes (behind the high school), Rheem Valley Manor (near St. Mary's College) which was custom built homes and there are 5 bedroom plans, and expanded plans in the Moraga Country Club and Moraga Woods (near Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School). if your need is not 5 bedrooms, you're in luck as 4 bedroom homes are in great supply normally in town.
Web Reference: http://www.haciendare.com
I have lived and worked in Moraga for 20 years and I LOVE this community. Families move here for the excellent schools and in general, the type of people who choose a community for their kids' education tend to also volunteer and give back. I think most Moragan's place a high value on NOT being snobby. This is an easy place to get to know other parents based on your kids activities, such as sports teams. I would be happy to talk to you about your specific situation. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.TaraRochlin.com
Hi Jdw,
I grew up in Lamorinda and went to high school in Moraga at Campolindo. My family and I lived in Sanders Ranch for a short time, while our house in Lafayette was being repaired from the 1989 earthquake. I can tell you first hand that Moraga is a great community to grow up and live in. In fact, many of the same families I knew when growing up, still live there today. I am happy to put you in touch with any of my family friends and clients that live in Moraga, and they can tell you their personal experiences.

Please feel free to contact me for more insight and info.

Brian
Interesting that you should mention "snob" factor. Wondering what negative experience you had there?

Lafayette, Moraga, and Orinda (we lovingly call "Lamorinda") are always good bets for families for a variety of reasons: good schools, large lots (play area and gardens), winding roads and hills (nice topography), and fabulous downtown areas --- with the old town charm --- with truly interesting shopping, restaurants. Definitely something for everyone.

For a little more excitement, etc. Walnut Creek is also a good bet especially since they have a lot more shopping (and dining areas) to which folks from Lamorinda would flock to. I personally like the Broadway Plaza.
Choices of housing abound from detached single family homes, to townhouses, to condos and patio homes.

What are your specific requirements, and how may I help?
Hi, our entire county is made up of very different types of people and families.
I would be happy to send you demographics for each area if that will help you with any questions. It's my belief that you will find great people throughout the area. Moraga is only a short drive to Walnut creek if you make friends there.
Suzanne Looker
Web Reference: http://suzannelooker.com
So, what other people think is really important to you?
The facts that Moraga is one of the most beautiful cities in the Bay Area,
There are thousands of people who either live there or would like to,
The property values are way up there,
The weather is among the best,
It is not on the way to anywhere, so traffic is not a problem.
I don't understand what the problem is.

Good luck and may God bless