Home Buying in Hanover>Question Details

Deb, Home Buyer in Jacksonville, FL

We are looking for 4 bedrooms, family neighborhood, 3500 sq ft, newer home, for less then $750k... possible?

Asked by Deb, Jacksonville, FL Fri Mar 27, 2009

Answers

11
Hi Deb,

Your question (part B) asks about schools, and suggests why you have chosen Hanover: "3 kids headed to highschool and its the number 1 in NH."

I would suggest two things for you to consider. First Hanover may or may not be the number one school in NH, I have lived in NH and Florida for the last 30 years and Hanover has never been a great school on my radar. I noted that it comes up in Greatschools.net as number one, but then it turns out the school itself wrote the review. My sense is there are many schools in NH with exceptional students and great programs which unless you have to live in Hanover for other reasons, merit your further investigation. And I would suggest that $750K will go a long way in NH--so you really can look further afield.

Second--how would you (personally) evaluate a school? As a long time licensed real estate professional, I have had customers who evaluate towns and schools entirely by SAT scores, theorizing that if the kids do well in college admission standardized tests, the school is doing a great job. I have had customers who wanted exceptional engineering AP classes, or who wanted foreign languages taught way past the usual 2 or 3 year level. And finally I have had parents who wanted after school art, music and athletic programs that were beyond the usual--only a good school will have these things--they say. So what is important to you and your kids?

My own kids graduated from Exeter High School, and have done very well with that foundation. I subscribe to the theory that if a parent is interested in the school work and in the student and SHOWS it to the kid, he or she will thrive and grow--regardless of the SAT scores the school generated.

In my mind, if you are going to show your children that their success is important to you, they will be successful. If you choose a school because you want to be a hands off parent and let the school handle the child's academic future, there's a good chance you will have your hands full with other parental issues.

Dane Hahn
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 29, 2009
Hi Deb,

I have just signed on to Trulia and read your question. I also read some of the answers and am amazed at the number of agents NOT from Hanover whom jumped on this question and are trying to convince you to look in other areas.

We moved from DC to the Hanover area because of the schools and quality of life. You can absolutely find a wonderful new(ish)/renovated home for $750k in the Hanover school district. I have a listing in Norwich VT in the Hanover school district , built in 2003 and "lightly" lived in (feels new) listed for $449k. The MLS number is: 4030247 (I am new to Trulia so please excuse me if I am supposed to give you a Trulia number). It has 4 bedrooms although it has a septic permit for only 3 (please let me know if you have questions about this topic, which is very important to understand when buying VT and NH properties). We have other properties as well that come to mind. Please let me know if you would like any more information.

I have 2 kids in the Hanover/Norwich/Lyme school system (shared) and am an active volunteer/coach in the community. My husband and I still feel we are living "the dream"/"a second honeymoon" up here in the Upper Valley. I have lived around the world and I must admit that the Upper Valley is best community I have experienced to raise a family. Money magazine rated Hanover NH as one of the top US cities in which to live. Come see for yourself - it is has the intellectual crackle of Dartmouth, a world renown medical facility/community, a promising entrepreneurial/start-up sector fostered by Tuck, one of the top business schools in the country, and is the cultural hub of our area - not bad combined with the quality of country living.

Here is a live example of our quality of life: We just enjoyed 2 feet of powder in the mountains for skiing with bright blue skies and sunshine over the Holidays. My friends called it "Bain de Soleil" skiing!

My Best,
Celina
The 750 is the challenge, my research says that the average sales price of a Hanover home is just under $300 a square ft. 3500sq ft =$1,050,000. That's average. Add for view, style, granite, quality, appliances, in town, subtract for out of town, outdated baths/kitchen. I'm selling mine 35 Low Road, check it out and contact us.
Hi.

Finding a newer home that size in Hanover, NH is possible but not easy. It depends also on what you mean by "newer." Most new construction in Hanover is in association communities and most are condos/townhouses.
I would suggest you might want to look in surrounding towns which also have good schools and Dartmouth/Upper Valley cultural amenities. Some communities to consider: Lebanon, Plainfield, Grantham (including Eastman), Lyme in NH and Thetford, Hartford, Hartland, Sharon across the Connecticut River in Vermont.
Cheers,
Hal Sheeler
Web Reference: http://www.HalSheeler.com
Deb, I myself graduated from Exeter High School. I would also like to know where your getting your school rating information. On greatschool.com, Hanover may be number 1 but Exeter isn't even rated and I know for a fact that they are near the top for the state. Also you have Phillips Exeter Academy, which is a very good private high school. I just don't want you to be set on one town just because of a school rating. There are many great schools here in NH! Plus there's only one listing in Hanover with 4+ bedrooms for under $750? In Exeter we could find you MANY more results than that! :)
Deb there are several homes that meet the standards you have set, if you would like me to email teh listing sheets to you for your review, just let me know. Good luck with your search
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Hi Deb

There should find plenty of homes for sale in that price range in Hanover, NH. With that budget, you sould consider a new home which will be much more energy efficient and healthy than a home built even a few years ago. Plus you can get exactly what you want.
Web Reference: http://www.zetlandhomes.com
There is currently one property in Hanover, NH for $739,900.00 that would fit your needs nicely. 4,000 sq/ft, built in 2004...
http://www.trulia.com/property/1057483253-2-Diana-Ct-Hanover…
When are you planning your move? I can put you intouch with a great Realtor up there. Shoot me an e-mail if you are interested.
we are looking for a house in Hanover... 3 kids headed to highschool and its the number 1 in NH
Hi Deb,

Yes--even in Hanover, $750,000 will go pretty far.

Dane Hahn
Deb,
There are currently 205 properties, 4 + bedroom, 3500+ sq/ft built after 1999 available in Massachusetts. Are you interested only in Hanover, or would you consider other areas as well? Please feel free to visit my website for access to the MLS (multiple listing service)
--John