Dave & Gina…, Real Estate Pro in 85142

We are looking for an upscale semi-custom home in the $500-600 price range in the East Valley. So far, in

Asked by Dave & Gina Schudi, 85142 Sun May 4, 2008

Gilbert and Chandler there isn't much in that range that we like. In Queen Creek, there are a number of available homes and many short sale and foreclosure opportunities - especially within just 2 miles of the Gilbert border. What is the outlook on the Queen Creek area? What does anyone know about the Queen Creek area and if that town is continuing to build and if the roads there will improve anytime soon? Would you recommend buying an upscale home there or not?

Answers

20
Queen Creek gets a lot of bad press, but what a lot of people do not know, including many of the people out there is that the city of Queen Creek is in Maricopa county. The areas that get the bad press all the time in the unincorporated area of Pinal County that wraps around Queen Creek. This area which includes places such as Pecan Creek, Johnson Ranch and San Tan Heights to name a few has the city mailing address for Queen Creek and thats where the connection ends. They do not have their own water company like QC or emergency services and have to contract with Rural Metro. Queen Creek itself is under taking some major changes with the new Ellsworth Loop almost complete to bypass the town center, the new shopping just opened at Ocotillo and Ellsworth Loop, the new library being constructed and many parks in the making etc. To the east of the town of Queen Creek is where I would recommend you looking as you are very close, only a couple of miles from the Gilbert border, the loop 202 is close by which will connect you to where ever you need be with ease. You will find some of the best value for your money here in that price range. We live here ourselves and love it, so we are a little bias. If we can be of any help in finding your new home or answering any more questions you may have drop us a line. We would be only happy to help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 4, 2008
I've owned and sold in Queen Creek. There are many homes that are "new" in areas that may have slowed down -it depends on your horizon - it will take, in nmy opinion, 2-3 years for QC to reinvigerate itself and continue to grow. Commercial committments speak to the growth in the future - If you need to drive into Chandler or Phoenix to work - it's an issue----------------Get a deal if commuting is not an issue or perhaps consider Glendale/Peoria on the NW side..........Tell me more and I can guide you better...i.e. schools, work, special needs and interest......John RE/MAX 480-236-9470
Web Reference: http://www.johnrlynch.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Hi Gina, I feel the way same as many others that responded to your question. Queen Creek does get a lot of bad press. Queen Creek is in both Maricopa and in Pinal County. I feel that the further north/west you are in Queen Creek the less traffic issues you have and the closer you are to great shopping and dining.

As some have mentioned already QC is growing with a new library, the new QC Marketplace, QC just purchased their own water company, several new parks are coming and QC now has their own Fire Department. Cortina and Sossaman Estates are on the border of Gilbert and QC. The schools are Higley Unified (same as Gilbert side). In the QC side you get more square footage for your money than on the Gilbert side.

We have an extremely upgraded 4690 S.F. house on private over 1/3 acre lot with mountain views for sale in Sossaman. Please take a look at the virtual tour http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?T=1348319 . We have put over $900K into this home and it is listed for $550K. Its a great deal! MLS# 2900954.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 9, 2008
Hi Gina.........Queen Creek is a great area in my opinion. Many new homes, new hospital coming in at Combs and Ironwood, and more. This is an area that is projected to have a million people within the next six years. Roads are planned; however, the traffic can be difficult in the morning and evening hours. During the day, it's a breeze. I've sold many homes in Queen Creek, purchased one myself, and never looked back. The homes just east of Ellsworth are still in Maricopa County......but after Meridian you are in Pinal County. Depending on where you find a home you like, there are plenty of backroads you can take to get around. I know them all. ;-)

Please feel free to call with any concerns or questions that you may have. ;-)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 9, 2008
Hi Gina,

Even though there may be better deals in Queen Creek, you want to think about the future potential of the property you are investing in. Location! Location! Location! My experience has been that it can be much harder to sell a home with a Queen Creek address rather than a Gilbert address, even within a mile of each other. Some buyers have a perception that Queen Creek is too far out, yet it may just be a location right outside of Gilbert. For example, there are many comparable homes located in Power Ranch (Gilbert) versus Sossaman Estates (Queen Creek). Both communities are located at Power Rd & Queen Creek Rd, one at the NW corner, one at the SE corner. The Power Ranch property is likely to get more traffic because it is located in Gilbert. Of course, many other factors come into play, but this is something to consider.

With so many opportunities out there, I would suggest purchasing in Gilbert or Chandler, especially for a higher end home. There are many short sales/foreclosures in all areas you are considering, but there is definitely an abundance in Queen Creek. I would stay closer in.

I am very familiar with Gilbert and Chandler, as I own homes in both. I would be happy to help you in anyway I can.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2008
Short Sale`s are only an opportunity to waste your time.

Foreclosure, being a bank owned / lender owned can be a great opportunity, REO`s also can be a nightmare.

I have seen a handful of beautiful " Upscale" homes in the Creek. Great lot location, design, etc...
However if it was my money, I would have to wait.
As you wrote in your question "a number of available homes and many short sale and foreclosure"

Supply and demand?

Now the Creek is selling homes, and has a lot of current pending, however most of them are in the mid 100`s to mid 200`s,
There is not that much activity above 400K

If you have to by now, I would go back to where you began your search. Gilbert, Chandler.

Good Day & Good Luck
Web Reference: http://www.azre.tv
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 4, 2008
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Queen Creek is an up and coming area. There are many new developments. I would suggest researching the town itself at queencreek.org. Some projects already in the works include: Ellsworth Loop Rd, Horshoe Park & Equestrian Center, Founders Park Master Plan, Aquatic Center, QC Public Library and the Mary Lou Fulton Children's center. The town is committed to a better quality of life for the residents and always welcomes involvment and input. And of course it is great value for money. Feel free to visit our website - then call or email - we would be more than happy to help and answer any questions. Remember always investigate something until it makes sense or it doesn't.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 4, 2008
Queen Creek has many nice homes but for more of a upscale area Gold Canyon or North Mesa has more of a upscale feeling and the homes are more semi/custom homes. Many of the Gold Canyon homes are in a gated community that used to sell and some still are a million plus but the hoa fee is high it is located in the golf community and then there is a community in North Mesa called Las Sendas with beautiful mountain and city views plus they are all on larger lots. When the building stopped in Queen Creek the roads slowed down but they are still working on them slowly. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Gilbert has many beautiful homes as does Chandler
Hi, Queen Creek is so far away from the rest of the Valley, and the traffic is so congested, that I would not recommend it. I would recommend Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert, in a convenient location, and a clubhouse for only $83 per month with a weight room, 3 racquetball rooms, several tennis courts, jr. olympic heated pool, jacuzzi, sandy beach/lagoon, beautiful waterfall landscaping. Our semi-custom house may be for sale soon there, at 1542 E. Catamaran Drive, Gilbert 85234. You can see photos at Zillow.com if you'd like.
Kelly Valvistastudio@yahoo.com
Thanks for all the great feedback. We purchased a home in Queen Creek, a 2002 custom home in the Queen Creek Ranchettes in June. This is an awesome neighborhood with one acre plus lots, 4, 6 and RV garages and the values here allowed us to get what we think is a great deal on a fanatstic home we could never afford in a Gilbert or Chandler zip code just one mile away. The San Tan Mountains are beautiful and I can view them from my home office window. Our backyard is fully landscaped with a pool, Ramada, fire pit and pavers - along with a large grassy yard. This was NOT a foreclosure deal, but there are a few in this neighborhood but the floor plans are not very good so I do believe those houses will eventually sell for much less then they are listed for. The home across the street just entered foreclosure. They paid 800K at the high point - wonder what it will eventually list for? We found the foreclosure properties, process and short sales to be too much to contend with. I agree with our realtor when he says you can find value anywhere in this market - don't limit yourself to just those types of properties. I do believe this will be a longer term investment but we have time to wait for the market to turn back around and enjoy the great deal we got in the mean time.
Just listed a home on the very border of Gilbert/Chandler, just south of the 202 - address: 2275 S. Whetstone Place, Chandler 85286...pool, 4152 square feet and more. Located in the very desirable Peterson Farms... where there are only ten listed. NOT a short sale.....please feel free to contact me with any questions. Just putting it on my website today...
Web Reference: http://www.HomesAzRE.com
Hi Gina,

Just wanted to check in and see if you made a decision or decided to hold off and wait a bit.....Any luck?
My suggestion is to work with an agent on an exclusive basis - you know what you want and need, they can find it for you........they can also get you prequalified and ready to make offers that are real and verified..

John lynch 480-236-9470 RE/MAX Fine Properties
Thanks for all the feedback! I telecommute mostly, with a drive into Phoenix about 2x per month. My husband is self employed and works all over the East Valley doing repair and maintenance work on investment properties. Fountain Hills is too far from the heart of the EV, although beautiful. We need extra storage space like an RV gate or extended garages. Hard to find 4+ garages in subdivisions unless they are tandem. QC seems to offer 1) space - bigger yards 2) more options in homes with RV gates in single level homes and 3) gorgeous views of the San Tans. I think the location will work out for us, but don't want to overpay for a home in a declining market. We seem to have wasted some time looking at short sales. I'd love to stay in Gilbert / Chandler but finding a single level home with RV gate and 4+ car garage on bigger lot seems impossible to find under 600K. If you have any other suggestions please let me know!
Hi Gina -

You might also consider the Fountain Hills area. It is a beautiful community and has very easy access to the East Valley. You'll find great views and great custom and semi-custom homes in a small town atmosphere. Fountain Hills has a great location as it is close to Scottsdale and the East Valley. You can check out homes via the link below.
Web Reference: http://www.FhHomeSearch.com
I would not recommend buying a home in the $500-600k range in Queen Creek for all of the reasons below.

There are some great homes within this price range in the Ocotillo area of South Chandler that is home to several professional and retired professional athletes. Schools are fantastic & shopping is great. There's even an AJ's Fine Foods within a brand new upscale shopping center with boutiques and other higher-end services. Ocotillo Golf is a Troon-managed golf course. I highly recommend exploring this area if you haven't yet. I live and work here out of the Ocotillo Keller Williams office.
Queen Creek is a relatively new community that has grown very quickly. If you like a rural feel, and don't work too far away, it might be a good place to consider. Ironwood has been recently improved, but the roads are and will be a problem for some time to come.
Sorry, Gina. I specialize in the town of Fountain Hills and can't help you with the Queen Creek area.
You might like to explore Fountain Hills. We are located more northeast, right off route 87 and Shea Blvd. The town is a peaceful, full range community with low crime and breathtaking views. Most homes are custom and semi-custom . There are also some areas of track homes. Here there are a wide range of choices in your price range. We are one of the most desirable places to live in the Valley of the Sun.Our population is about 25,000. There a schools, parks, & a wonderful small town lifestyle. I'd be happy to be of service, provide more information & websites for you to check out.
There are some great opportunities out in Queen Creek and several other areas in the Valley of sun. It is important that a buyer research the area and besure its not to far for commuting in the morning for your employment if you work out of home. Feel free to request my links to help you during the buying process.

Lucinda