geetalikar, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

We are looking for a home in Phoenix. The neighbor hood where we would like to stay have old houses, built in 70's. is a wise idea to buy an old?

Asked by geetalikar, Phoenix, AZ Thu Dec 20, 2012

home?

Answers

10
Wade Kawahara’s answer
A lot depends on what amenities you are looking for in a house. If you are looking for a larger master bedroom with a bigger master bath then newer homes are better for you. As far as construction goes, most older homes don't have the most up to date energy efficiency but if you find a brick or block home, they are generally VERY solid. If you do regular maintenance and a few upgrades, an older home will serve you well. If the neighborhood that you want to live in has older homes, you will be best served to live in an older home. Just make sure you have a very thorough inspection done to find any potential problems. It looks as if you are thinking of buying in 85254 and in general, most of the homes in that area are well maintained. Good luck with your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
I would look at this as a practical matter. That is if you have your heart set on the area and an older home is the only option.

Look at the structural integrity of the home, what type of plumbing does it have (materials used), and what condition is the electrical in? What condition is the heating/cooling in?

i would then set aside moneys each month for unexpected repairs.

There are additional inspection techniques and tools that can be used such as optical cameras that can scope underground sewer lines for cracks or damage. Old wires might have been compromised by rodents. I've seen 20yr old homes with a 220 power cable eaten completely through by rodents. They ate the plastic casing.

Home inspections are usually considered "general" inspections. Meaning they dont look at every little thing. They are there to get a general sense of the condition of the home. That is why I would set up a repair fund for an older home.

Additionally, we also have a list of great handyman helpers if you would need one. They are very reasonably prices.

Bottom line: Get a respected home inspector that will give you a good idea of the general health of the home. Make sure you get the main systems of the home in good repair (roof, heating cooling, electrical, and foundation/structure). Have a home repair budget and/or update account. This type of account will also help you keep the home updated for a better resale value.

For more: 480-370-3214
or
ScottsdaleScott.com
I can help you with that. I actually have a listing with an old house in a 55+ neighborhood. Let me know if you would like a private tour.

Click on this link to see the pictures:
http://www.investinarizonahomes.com/listings/1507-e-helena-d…
Older homes can have more charm than other houses. They have older bones and in most cases have been remodel or updated. However, they also should be inspected for repaired or hidden defects that may reduce value or hold hidden surprises for both buyer and seller.

In short older homes in the right neighborhood can offer a great deal and real charm to the interested buyer. If I can help please feel free to contact me.
Many older homes in the Phoenix area have seen extensive remodeling through the years. Some of the main considerations in purchasing an older home are the HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Windows, Roofing, along with some items, such as lead based paint and asbestos.

If you know what to look for, or work with a real estate agent that does, you can enjoy living in your 1970's built neighborhoods.
Ryan Buckley Realtor®
Turning your Dream into an Address
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
480-440-4541
ryan.buckley@azmoves.com
http://www.liveinscottsdale.com
http://www.facebook.com/rcoldwellbanker
twitter @rcoldwellbanker
Personally I really like the 70's and 80's homes. Just like the new ones, there may be some that are not built so well or need updated but most were built much better than homes are today. My new home is from the 70's and I wouldn't trade it for a new one for anything! It is all solid block construction and has beautiful mature landscaping with huge trees surrounding the property. The home was previously remodeled very nicely about 5 years ago so it is all updated and it was built with very high cathedral ceilings and has a very open floor plan. Our old house was built in the 90's and was really built poorly and had many more maintenance issues than this remodeled older home has had. This old block home will be standing long after that newer one falls apart!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2012
While the age of the home is important with regard to style, design and features, what is far more important is location and condition (remember location, location, location). Any home can be remodeled or updated, but the location cannot be changed.

I have seen many older homes (1970's is not old) that were in perfect condition, classic designs, if you will. I have also seen newer homes that were not maintained and were falling apart.

The only real issue is do you like the styling of the older home or do you prefer the newer styling or recent homes?
I just have to say that it tickles my funny bone to see houses built in the *19*70s as "old". In my neck of the woods those houses are "new" - or at least close to it.

I do think that if you're going to be in a newly constructed house short term that your expenses may be lower - aside from all the tweaking that you have to do inside and out - and spend money on - when you're the first owner. That being said I think that new construction often isn't as good as older construction and if a 40-year old house is in good condition it isn't necessarily going to need constant repairs.
The 85254 neighborhood is a well established area which has seen recent increases in popularity due to retail developments at Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter, and the blossoming employment center surrounding Scottsdale Airport. Older homes in the area are often very well built but require continual updates in areas like windows, roofing, hvac systems etc. These are expenses that you need to plan for in owning an older home versus a newer home. There are also newer home neighborhoods in the area such as Kierland and Desert Ridge. The newer homes often sell for a higher price but have lesser need for larger maintenance items as discussed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance - Best of luck!