Home Buying in Hanover>Question Details

Robert, Home Buyer in Derry, NH

We are looking for a Rustic House in the Hanover NH area, unfortuantely there doesn't seem to be much

Asked by Robert, Derry, NH Sun Mar 16, 2008

selection.
How far from Hanover must we go to find a Rustic Home? We also have a 14yo daughter so schools are a consideration.

Answers

10
Hi Robert,
My colleagues have done well answering your question. We have some lovely rustic properties in Norwich VT, which is in the highly sought after Dresden school district. 37 Campbell Flats is a rustic River retreat only 5 miles to town. It has its own 4 acre peninsula of land with a grandfathered footprint so you can fish out your kitchen window. I would be happy to send you more information on this one. The Seller welcomes offers on it. I also have a lovely home overlooking a spring fed pond, but it is in move-in condition (feels brand new) so the only thing rustic about it is the setting! We have many more and you will find if you speak to one of us you will get to know the ins and outs of the towns. We have a lot of good inventory right now so I hope you will find what you are after. Please let me know if you have any questions and like my colleagues posting here, I would be happy to help you secure this property for you.
Web Reference: http://www.uv-estates.com
Robert there have bee nseveral houses on the market recently that fit your criteria in the Hanover area. There are small towns outside of Hanover such as Etna and Lyme that have what your looking for.
Hello Home buyer,

The Hanover school System is one of the best in the country. My daughter just graduated from Hanover High School and the list of schools the HH graduates were able to get into is impressive. To find a rustic home you need to let me know what you mean by Rustic we live in a very rural area so you do not have to go far. There are a number of outside communities that provide access to the Hanover Schools system because they do not have their own. Do you want land, a log cabin or just isolation. Please call me an I will be glad to discuss this with you in greater depth and help you locate the home of your dreams.

Robert
The link below will take you to a little house in Hanover, with acerage. Let me know if this might be something of interest. Needs someone who can bring a hammer.

http://www.nnerenmls.com/nne/maildoc/b004fq2107.html
My web site is http://www.Debhome4u.com

If I can help you with anything else please feel free to ask.
Deb
I am never to busy for your referrals.
Realtor Licensed in NH and VT
http://www.DebHome4U.com
Deb@UvMaxre.com
603-381-3977
603-298-8900
603-298-8150 fax
Hi, Robert.
This area is a good one. On both sides of the Connecticut River Valley/Dartmouth area, in New Hampshire and Vermont, you can find good schools and a Rustic Home with privacy. I'm thinking perhaps you want a home with character, in a "woodsy" area, with views or water of some kind.
Here are some communities you might consider: Lebanon, Enfield, Canaan, Grantham, Lyme, Plainfield on the NH side. Thetford, Fairlee, Hartford, Hartland, Sharon, Strafford on the Vermont side.
Sharon's Sharon Academy has an excellent reputation as does Thetford Academy. Plainfield, NH high school students go to the excellent Lebanon schools or to the private Kimball Union Academy. There are fine programs in most public schools in the area. I would look at your daughter's particular interests and interview principals and teachers to get a feel of whether her interests would be well-served.
Cheers, Hal Sheeler
Web Reference: http://www.HalSheeler.com
Hi Robert

The tend we have seen over the years is away from wood siding and towards vinyl or composite even in higher end homes which may explain some of the difficulty you are having. About 8% of the newer homes in NH are log and only about 1% post & beam or timber frame. In your price range you have option of considering a new home where you can get what you want. A popular concept is a hybrid home, for instance an energy efficient stick built with post & beam accents on the interior. On the outside you can use cedar siding or whatever you prefer. Also some stone work on the exterior can add to the rustic feel.
Robert
Your best bet to find the home you want is to find a Realtor who is willing to set up a search for you and then take the time to go with you to actually see the homes that fit your criteria.
Take the time to interview agents who will do this for you. Please consider me for and interview.
Rustic to me is either a Post and Beam, a Log or Cedar home. Basically a Wood exterior. A Wood Interior is even better. 5 Natural Acres ( God is the best landscaper that I have found). Around $500k.
Try Orford or even Thetford, VT...both within a short drive!

Do you have a house to sell?
Web Reference: http://www.RonHomes.com
Hi Robert,

It would seem to me that if style of architecture is the main driving force to your home search, that you would simply go to NNEREN and look at all the photos of houses in your price range. (Or go to Realtor DOT com and do the same--or right here at TRULIA). When you find one you like, check to see where it is, and call the Realtor.

If schools are important, Google up best schools in NH--and you will find the "best" schools as well.

But my questions to you are, "what's rustic?" And what constitutes a "good school", in your mind"

And why Hanover? And what's your budget? And how many bedrooms? And how big a parcel of land?

People call little cabins rustic, others call woodsy homes with grape arbors and trellises nestled into a fern studded dell rustic, other call a broken down tract-home rustic. So being specific will help.

With regard to schools, some people go with the SAT scores, saying the best scores come from the best schools; some demand after-school programs (saying it's not a good school without after school music or art or sports programs). Others think classroom size makes a big difference. So you have some homework to do on where the good schools are--and it's better that you do that research on your own so you are happy with the final decision. Once you find a school district, and with your family's guidance, I'm sure we can find that rustic home.