Home Buying in Alameda>Question Details

Tortolablue, Home Buyer in Sandwich, MA

We are looking at moving from Cape Cod to San Francisco. We think Alameda would be a great place. Any advice on this move would be great.?

Asked by Tortolablue, Sandwich, MA Thu Jul 26, 2012

We have thought about the big things, schools and jobs but I would like to hear from people who have made this move. Did you ever say "oh I wish I knew that?" before you made the move?

Answers

8
Alameda is a wonderful place to live--I have lived here over 20 years and am also a realtor selling homes in the community. As an Alameda resident I enjoy the neighborhood where I live and being close to San Francisco and other East Bay cities as the Bay Area has so many options for enjoying culture, shopping, great food and having beautiful park areas to explore. You also don't need to leave the island for hiking trails bordering the Bay, wonderful restaurants, movie theater and shopping in both small boutiques and at larger retailers like Kohl's and Target which is coming soon.

Would love to show you the area.
Susan Kaney
Gallagher and Lindsey
510 748 2020
http://www.susansellsthebay.com
susan@susankaney.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 26, 2012
I grew up in Chatham and have relatives in Sandwich. I live in Alameda and unfortunately Alameda is going through some horrible political things, like putting in big box store Target, and over developing housing, taking away character and quaintness, something Cape Codders would absolutely not stand for!
Do it!

Personally, growing up here on the island, going through school system (Edison Elementary, Lincoln Middle, Alameda High), and the proximity to neighboring cities, Alameda is truly a great place to be!

I would love to answer any additional questions you have.

Feel free to contact me directly at 510.523.5673 with any thoughts, questions and/or concerns.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Jose Cerda-Zein
Alameda is a great place to live. Visit the Alameda Chamber of Commerce for information on what to do, where to go, what to see. Or call them and they will send you informative information. Schools are the best in the area and transportation on and off the island is easy. Regular ferry service into SF as well as bus service. No worries in Alameda. But, no city is perfect.
Many of us will sing the praise of living in Alameda for various reasons.

I have lived in many cities/states (Florida, New York, New Jersey, Texas) as well as other California cities (San Francisco, Mountain View and Oakland) and I can say with conviction that we love this island city the best. As a matter of fact, this is the longest that we've stayed in one city, and have no plans to leave.

I blog about Alameda and continue to share one in particular
ALAMEDA CA. Moving here? Excellent reasons why it's a great place to live.
http://activerain.com/blogsview/1605905/alameda-ca-moving-he…

Hope this gives you a good idea about our beautiful island town.

By the way, I have a listing coming up -- a beach front condo at The Willows complex. Here's something you may also consider.
Check it out at http://activerain.com/blogsview/2343423/resort-lifestyle-at-…
I live and work in Alameda. having grown up in San Francisco and spending almost every weekend on the water it was a perfect fit for us. The beach is amazing. We have a ton of yacht clubs ranging in fees from about $100 a year to over $1000.
A majority of the homes are Victorian and Craftsman style with a few new developments on the main island and contemporary homes on bay farm.
Our property taxes with bond measures are on the high side but Oakland and Berkeley are also equally expensive.But that just shows you that the residents care about the city and are willing to be burdened with additional supplemental taxes to cover our amazing hospital, library and schools.

Please call with any questions or visit my Facebook page to learn more or ask residents similar questions. http://Www.Facebook.com/AlamedaVictorians
Good Morning
I have lived in Alameda all my life and have been a real estate broker here for 26 years. Alameda is a wonderful community with many amenities for everyone. Schools are good. We have a beach,walking paths,our theater has been refurbished,public pools,good restaurants,many community organizations,a fun 4th of July parade, a Wine Fairer this weekend,a new Boy's and Girl's Club,boating clubs,golf course and more. We are approx 15 minutes to downtown San Francisco, 3 and a half hours to Lake Tahoe, and close to other cities that have science museums and cultural palaces of interest for young and old. What a great place to live and Alameda has a lot more to offer contact me for more information. Have a great day.
Alameda has a quaint small town feel yet close to the city. We have some clients who rent in the city now who are looking to buy in Alameda for that reason, plus it's close to the water yet the weather is much better. However, if you are talking about buying you might want to rent first to make sure that's really where you want to be.

We regularly work with out of area and International clients, so if you want some guidance our contact info is below. (we also work in other east bay areas as well as the city).

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
That's a good answer! As a home owner in Alameda who came from the Cape, it would be a shock to move to Alameda. I think San Anselmo would be more of a match to Sandwich. People who have not been to Cape Cod have no clue. It is that different.
Flag Mon Jul 8, 2013