Home Buying in West Village>Question Details

Twista, Home Buyer in West Village, New York...

We are looking at 175 West 12th Strret which is right across from St. Vincent's Hospital. Will there be?

Asked by Twista, West Village, New York, NY Mon Jun 1, 2009

major construction at this Hospital and how will it affect this building's value? (corner of 7th Avenue and W 12th Street). Also, is the condo in question a stable and good building ?

Answers

5
Richard V Hamilton’s answer
Depends on which way the unit faces, it will be a dual edged sword. But unless it would block the units light, it should not have too much of an effect, the city has made them scale it down a bit, of course they asked for much more thn they knew they could get approved, all a part of the game.
But 175 W 12 is in a great location, lots of good buildings nearby you shoudl consider. 15 Charles (I think) is a Condo and 101 W 12, 175 W 13 are also very good coops
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 13, 2009
I do not foresee any issues. I believe the majority of work shall be done in the interior.
I live in the building since 3 months, and love it. Subway basically in the building and many other lines within one block, steps from meatpacking, the small streets of village, very nice employees and super...financials are fine, building very well managed by rudd realty, a huge and very reputable management firm. St. Vincent hospital is closed, so no ambulances at all. I am not entirely sure of what will happen at st. vincent but whatever they do they can`t take any additional light off from the building. Light comes from south-west (awesome sunsets if are on the west side), and nothing can be built on st vincent square or the small buildings of west village, so that`s locked-up. Hope helps.
my friend lives in this building, and he is a native new yorker. he says he " gets used to the noise and doesnt notice anymore," the bottom line is there will be ambulences and all sorts of sirens as a part of your life. The subway is basically in the building, like anything give and take. hope this helps.

Check a map out, you live next to a hospital. dont be in denial, its loud.
Hello Twista,

I hope that I can shine some light on your question.

Over the next 18 months, St. Vincent's Hospital is planning on having a major overhaul/renovation done on its existing Labor Unit and will rename it -the Eli and Abby Manning Birthing Center.

Since there won’t be any new construction of a new facility, rather just interior reworking of an existing one, I don't believe that it will cause any major inconvenience to neighboring buildings.

This renovation should not affect any surrounding buildings value negatively. If anything, I would say it could even increase the value after all is said and done because St. Vincent's is doing something great for its hospital and community.

Century Tower is a great Condo Building, located in a much desired area, steps from meatpacking district. It has a subway stop at its entrance and it's surrounded by great restaurants and supermarkets.

You would of course need to look at the building financials, but there isn't anything I found on the building that raised any red flags.

If you have any other questions/concerns you can always shoot me an email or give me a call Twista.

Best of Luck,
~Alen