Home Buying in Norco>Question Details

Cleo, Home Buyer in Lake Elsinore, CA

We are interested in purchasing a home on a specific street/area in Norco but there aren't currently any for sale. Should I just continue to?

Asked by Cleo, Lake Elsinore, CA Mon May 24, 2010

wait or is there anyway to reach out to owners in the neighborhood that doesn't come across as tacky or a scam? Thanks for the advice!

Answers

7
Here's a funny but true story.

When I was a child my mom went to the grocery store one day, leaving my dad and I home. A knock came at the door and when my dad answered, he found it to be a local Realtor. She explained that her client was interested in a particular floorplan and had made an offer on a house down the street. Unfortunately, the buyer was out bid by another buyer. The Realtor went on to explain that our home was the exact same floorplan of the house the buyer was interested in and wanted to know if we had considered selling our home. We had not, however my dad allowed the Realtor to show the home to her buyers who were waiting in the car. At the end of the showing, the buyers made an offer to my dad. He accepted and signed the contract with the Realtor right then and there. When my mom arrived home with the groceries, I was sent to my bedroom while my mom and dad "discussed" his actions. When it was all said and done, my mom agreed to the sale and we moved 45 days later into a much larger/nicer home.

There were two things I learned that day. 1) NEVER make a major decision without consulting my wife first. And... 2) ALWAYS go the extra mile in order to find the perfect home for my buyers.

If you need someone to go that extra mile for you, please don't hesitate to let me know. Feel free to email me the street or area you are specifically interested in and we'll see if we can make something happen.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Ray Wright
Direct: 951-354-1303
Email: RayWright@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 24, 2010
Cleo
I lived in a home 12 years ago and had a buyer come to my home and ask to buy my home. It was a view home.
I showed the buyer the home and the buyer said i will have my agent contact you. I admit at the time I didn't think it would happen. But the following day the agent came with all the paper work. I asked the agent to leave the paper work and i would make a decision in a day. While i was not an agent at the time. It did work out for me as the offer was 25,000 over the going rate for my then 225,000 home.
I took the deal but made sure I had my own agent.
Start door knocking on a Saturday morning on the one Street at 945am. Leave your agent behind and dont discuss price. Leave price and terms up to your agent and theirs.
You will get your home before you get to the end of the block.
Money talks!

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomesrealestate.com
http://www.socalhomesrealestate.com
California Department of Real Estate License # 01312992
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 27, 2010
I probably can't top Ray's answer as he had a great story to go along with it but I will add my two cents.

Yes, you and/or your agent can do a few different things. First, knock on the door (as in the case of Ray's parents) or second, send out a solicitation letter to all the homeowners on that street identifying yourself and stating your objective. Another way would be to check the tax records to see if there are any homeowners on the street that are behind in their payments or upside down on the mortgage. These people might welcome a short sale with a ready made buyer.

There are a lot of great homes in Norco, espcially around the golf course area.

All the Best!

Barbara Grandolfo
Seven Gables Real Estate
714 801-0827
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 24, 2010
You could broaden your home area search but if your dream is to be on a specific street, there may be a way to help. Please contact us directly to further discuss and we can share some innovative ideas for you.
I have also had a client who wanted a specific home on the water. I created a simple post card and used the tax records to send the request to all the suitable homes stating I had a buyer looking for property and I received several calls. This is common practice if you have a buyer. Often especially during this economic time home owners are hesitant to move thinking they may not be able to sell for a fair price with so many foreclosures and short sales and distressed home owners so your card may give them the idea that they could sell and move up or down without the hassel of putting a home on the market.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller, Real Estate Professional
Coldwell Banker Howard Perry and Walston
Really good advice thus far.

One other suggestion: Look for homes that are listed for rent. Sometimes owners actually rent out their properties when they'd prefer to sell, figuring that the market is soft, or their home needs a bit of fix-up. They'd love to find someone to buy. There are others who may not have thought of selling right now--as with Ray's story--but they're planning on selling eventually. Everyone does, eventually. So, at worst, you're just advancing the timetable a bit.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Dear Cleo,

Barbara and Ray are both absolutly right! I've done it myself years ago in Chino Hills and it works.

As a Realtor there is nothing quite as nice as having a buyer client who knows what they want and is willing and able to pay a fair market price for it.

Linda Christopher, Realtor
951-756-4051