Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Marguerite g…, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

We are from out of state and woild like to find a ranch with a walk out basement in the mill point development. How can I let potential sellers know?

Asked by Marguerite groark, Denver, CO Sat Mar 23, 2013

We are from Ohio so it is hard to buy whenyou are not there right when the listing goes up. We are in Centennial now and can only wish something will come up really soon.

Answers

9
Christine Nicholson’s answer
Hi Marguerite,

Plenty of brokers are now knocking on doors for buyers who have identified specific neighborhoods in which they would like to live. Reach out to someone who will be wiling to do that for you and in the meantime, go ahead and get all your loan application documents processed so that you can move when the right home comes on the market. It is moving fast in all price points here in Denver, so being prepared is essential.

Best of luck and let me or any of these other brokers know if you'd like some help.

Christine Nicholson, CRS
Kentwood City Properties
Christine@KentwoodCity.com
720-319-5591
Marguerite,

Is there a reason that you haven't hired an agent to assist you with the process?
Hello Marguerite,

Robert is right, hire a Buyer's Broker who is very proactive.Once you and your Broker are in step, you may need to make a daring move such as writing a contract to purchase before you've seen the property in person.

Kasha Songer
Marguerite,

We feel your pain. Denver is now #9 in the nation for what is being called 'Flashsales' - http://ow.ly/jfRvA That is homes going under contract within 24 hours after going on the market. You need to hire a Buyer's Broker to work with you, set up daily listing alerts, and develop a proactive strategy for finding the 'right' home for you. It can be done. Best of success.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Hi Marguerite,

The best strategy would be to connect with a local agent who can represent you in the whole transaction, and start looking for you based on your criteria. He or she would be able to see new properties as soon as they came on the market, and sometimes even before. The good news is that they'd normally be paid by the seller, so the whole process would be free to you.

Reviewing homes from a distance can be challenging, but with the technology available today it's not so bad. We can easily video a property or even preview it live with you via a video stream. The important thing would be finding someone you trust and are comfortable with.

I take it you're in town right now - how long will you be here for? Would you be in a position to come back out if something presented itself? The market in Denver is really heating up, and it may be necessary to move quickly when the time comes.

Feel free to send us an email or text, or give a call if you'd like to chat!
Tony & Karen
720-427-4836
A good way to identify properties not yet on the market is to drive the neighborhood as often as possible (while you're in town), to look for Coming Soon & For Sale By Owner signs. These homes aren't necessarily listed yet on the internet or local Metrolist.

Your best bet though, is to find a good Realtor to advise you through the whole buying process. Good agents will work hard for you to identify homes that haven't yet been listed. There are multiple ways to find those homes, such as compiling a list of homes in the area that fit your requirements (simple lists should take only 24 hours to put together) and then mailing a letter to those homeowners, or better yet, knocking on the doors of your favorites. Other options might include your agent networking with other agents, contacting sellers who listed their home over the past few years but were unable to sell, or sending marketing e-flyers out to the real estate community informing them of your buying need.

Most importantly, you need an agent who will be hyper-vigilant in watching the market for new listings to pop-up. Good homes at good prices are selling extremely quickly, and so you want to hire someone that will put every new listing in front of you, as soon as they hit the market.

And, it is possible for an agent to help you mitigate the challenges of house hunting "from a distance" - while you're living out-of-state. If you have already hired an agent, ask them how. If not, talk to the people you know here in town, and ask them if they have a Realtor they know and trust. I'd be happy to help you as well. Make sure you hire someone who's business is real estate, and doesn't just dabble in real estate as a side job. Real estate transactions can be complicated. In Colorado, buyers' agents are paid by the seller so there's no reason why you shouldn't have a trusted adviser guide you through the process!

Brooke Bailey
303-667-1710
Brooke@KellyBailey.com
Kentwood Co Cherry Creek
44 Cook Street, 9th Floor
Denver, CO 80206
Marguerite,

I'd love to talk with you about how I can help you in your search. I can help with a search targeted specifically to that area and the type of home you are looking for. Please call me if you would like to discuss.

Stacey Schalk, Broker Associate
Porchlight Real Estate Group
303-919-2363
What you can do is pin point your ideal criteria and get set up on listing alerts from a broker. This way you will receive daily emails to see what newly listed homes come on the market. As far as reaching out to potential sellers, a broker can send out a generic mailer to potential properties asking them if they have ever considered selling because they have a buyer in their area. It is a shot in the dark and sometimes does work. Usually homes that have been occupied for more than 7 years are great homes to do this to. People are a little more open to selling I have seen after this amount of time.

Ryan Fagin
ryanfagin@kwrealty.com
I can preview them for you and post a video to youtube. I can also contact sellers directly on your behalf. Please call me. Jeff Molenda KEY Real Estate Group, LLC 303-941-6779