Home Buying in Ross>Question Details

Marinlover, Home Buyer in Ross, CA

We are deciding between Ross, Mill Valley and Tiburon. We have two small children. Could someone explain how the people are different in each town?

Asked by Marinlover, Ross, CA Sun Mar 21, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Ross

Answers

5
Anna Brocco’s answer
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective and what's good for one is not necessarily the case for another--visit a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging--chat with the neighbors/locals if the opportunity arises. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 22, 2010
Hi Marinlover,

People don't vary much in any of the towns you have mentioned. They all love their children and have made sure they have excellent schools and supportive communities. The two major differences in the communities you are looking at are weather and distance from San Francisco. Ross is farther and warmer. Tiburon and Mill Valley have varying weather patterns within the two towns so it is valuable for you to find a realtor who is aware of the different mini-climates. Also hiking and mountain biking is more interesting around Mill Valley and Ross than Tiburon which is farther from Mt. Tam, though of course sailing is better in Tiburon!

The other major difference is in the sizes of the southern towns and Ross. Ross is very small with only about 750 homes. The school has usually only 2 classes per grade, occasionally 3 whereas, Mill Valley for example has 5 K-5 schools. If you really like the weather better in Ross I would suggest you widen your search to Greenbrae and Kentfield as well as Corte Madera and Larkspur.

Brainstorming is what I do, so if you just want to talk, feel free to call 415-259-7007.

Warmly,
Diana Hammer
This is a strange question to ask. Not sure what you are thinking. Each town has its own character. This is what is so special in Marin. You must see this area to appreciate what we have here. A great place to raise children and close to San Francisco, Sonoma County , several parks,
Water front propery with water views to S.F. Climate is outstanding. Experience out door living almost all year round.
Marin County is very family orianted and diverse as well. People like living here because of its beauty
convience and charm. Come and see for your self. All three of the towns you mentioned have good schools for small children. Nice communties and several organizations you can join to meet new people.
I raised three sons in the Town of Ross. It was a fantastic experience. What I really appreciated was
the close community feeling and friends and parents I met. My children walked to school when they were young. I did not ever car pool. Just about every thing you need as a family is here and close by.
Come and see for your self.

margyburkewynn@aol.com Bradley Real Estate.
Asking the segregation to licensed business persons is really sensitive. More than one law say no no no. No matter how you think about it but matter how you talk about it. Many real estate sales over-close it even no discussion on income, schools, criminal records, etc. They try to stop as far as they can from the legal line.

Andy
Dear Marinlover,
I live and work in Ross, and am raising my children here. I've lived here for 11 years -- since my oldest was a year old. I also have many friends and clients in Mill Valley and Tiburon with small children. All the communities have benefits, and you can find a diverse range of people in each town. I would hesitate to "label" the people in each town. Rather, I think each community has its unique characteristics. For example, Ross is a small town with a tight-knit community -- people tend to know each other. The school is central to the community, as are community events such as the 4th of July, town potluck dinners, etc. Weekends on the common feature soccer, lacrosse, and Little League games. Pixie Park is wonderful for families with very young children. Mill Valley has a thriving downtown with many restaurants and shops, and a larger school district with several grade schools feeding into a larger middle school. It has many wonderful parks where young families gather for play and Little League. Tiburon's schools are divided into three campuses by age. Tiburon's real estate value derives from its views and proximity to the water. The recreation department and Blackie's Pasture provide many recreational opportunities for young families, as does the Tiburon Penninsula Club.
I would be happy to discuss any of these communities with you. Feel free to give me a call at 415.806.3176.
Warm regards,
Stephanie Lamarre