Home Buying in Hartford>Question Details

George, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

We are considering relocating in the Hartford area -- with one of us working in Hartford and the other in

Asked by George, New York, NY Sun Feb 24, 2008

Waterbury, we'd like to find a home in a nice community, good schools and neighborhoods, as well as services -- great grocery store, movie theaters, etc. Are there towns you especially recommend? We're looking for a home below $500K, 2500 sq ft and nicely finished space, room to garden, etc.

Answers

12
Here are several communities I recommend you look into, that work with your price range and services you're looking for:

West Hartford - located between Hartford and Waterbury, closer to Hartford. Theater in the center, lots of amenities and town services, good schools and many neighborhoods that are walkable. There are currently about 30 properties activley for sale that are under 500k and around 2500 sf. Several grocery stores such as Whole Foods as well as some smaller markets.

Farmington-Further west than West Hartford but not immediately off of Rt 84. Not as many walkable neighborhoods or amenities but good schools. Also have about 30 properties actively for sale under 500k and around 2500 sf.

Southington-Movie theatre and lots of amenities in town including many chain restaurants and grocery stores. Good schools. Easy access to highway, RT 84. There are currently about 60 actively for sale properties meeting your basic criteria.

Berlin-Movie theatre, many town amenities, easy access to Rt 9, Rt 5/15, Rt 91 (can connect to 691 which brings you into Waterbury). Good schools, but not as many houses currently on the market - about 20. Easy access to Berlin Tpk which has hundreds of stores like Target, Walmart, Lowes but there is also a historic area as well as the Kensington area which is less big box commercial.
I picked Berlin, when I was looking for a central location to Hartford and points east.
I'm a frequent traveler to Waterbury also, but not a lover of being on the highway. From Berlin to Waterbury, there is RT691 to RT84, as well as several back roads thru Meriden/Cheshire or Southington/Wolcott.

To Hartford, the choices are many. Rt 9 to Rt91 or RT84. There are so many back roads to take when the traffic is bummer to bummer on the highways or just want to take in a sunny spring day.

Yes, that's how I came to settle in Berlin. Its rural yet close to major shopping, theaters and, home to a train station. Prices are decent too with 1/2 acre lots being very common. Square footage of homes average 2200-2800.

In advance Thank you and welcome to our area.

Esther Farr, GRI
Direct Line 860-830-9601
esther@adfarrrealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.adfarrrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2008
There are several wonderful communities in the area. Call me so I can get a little more information as to what you are looking for and I'll have you in your new home in no time. Gary McIntosh at (203) 979-2132 or gmcintosh@kw.com. Talk with you soon.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2008
Canton/Collinsville

Canton has everything you are looking for. Taking RT 202 to RT 8 will have you in Waterbury under 30 minutes from most parts of Canton, and the traffic is usually none existent when compated to Rt 84 the drive to Hartford on Rt 44 is about 30 to 40 minutes and the commuter bus is an even better option. Canton is beautiful, great schools and five minutes to great shopping at the Shoppes at Farmington Valley, movie theatre and four clean, newer grocery stores within 5 to 10 minutes.
Hi George,
There are quite a few fine communities in between the two areas you mentioned. Send me your email and I will send you everything available in your price range. That way you can get an idea of what you are looking at.
I'm at amanda@prudentialct.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Amanda
I've been reading some of the answers. First of All W. Hartford has a very high tax rate and burden with older homes that are overpriced. Schools are average. W. Hartford to Waterbury is a tough commute. I suggest you look at either Burlington, Bristol, Farmington. Burlington and Farmington have very good schools and comparable tax rates and burdens much cheaper than W. Hartford. Burlington is only 30 min drive either to Hartford or Waterbury.
George,
I have been selling real estate in the central Connecticut are for 25 years. Like so many others have said, I think the two towns that will best meet your needs are Southington and West Hartford. Both towns have a distinct personality and you will have to see which town "feels the most comfortable" to you and your family. Southington has a suburban feel, with nice size lots and all the amenities you seek. It is probably the most equidistant town between Hartford and Waterbury. West Hartford has smaller lots and more of a "community feel" to it. There is a wide variety of shopping and any amenity you could want. It is however, much closer to Hartford than Waterbury.

Good Luck with your move, and feel free to contact me, if I can be of service to you.
Hmmmm.........well from someone who has lived in both areas, I would suggest closer to the Hartford area than Waterbury. The commute into Hartford in the morning is terrible on 84E. 84 West is better. Same on the return trip.
You want to avoid the area near Southington/Wolcott where the road construction is slated to continue for the next few years.
Southington (You can always go the back roads to get to Waterbury) or Cheshire would be excellent choices to start.
Please contact me when you are coming to town and I can take you on a tour.
Amanda
Hi George,
As you have read there are many choices of towns which would make your commute to both Hartford and Waterbuy not so long. As a real estate agent and someone who made that commute for many years I would narrow it down to the I 84 corridor between both cities and then determine how far off the Highway is reasonalbe based on the maximum lenghth of commute time you would prefer. It is possible for us to create a list of homes available in that area and email them to you. This would really help you to determine which community has what you are looking for in emenities. Your dream home can be found within that community that suits your needs.
Welcome to CT. You could try Southington as one of your choices. Nice area and close to Rte 84. There are others along 84 that would be good for your commutes also.

Good luck with your decision to move here to the Hartford area.

Duane Mason, Realtor
Avon, CT
860-761-3731
duane@duanemason.com
Web Reference: http://www.DuaneMason.com
As stated, there are many very nice towns that would fit your needs and price. I am an agent in Hartford county and serve all towns in that vicinity. Please contact me for more information on your relocation and to visit my site for searching of homes, etc.
Hi George,
There are many great towns to choose from between Hartford and Waterbury, some very rural and some quite urban. I have colleagues upstate who would be able to guide you to the right community. Feel free to contact me if you would like to be introduced to a top Prudential agent in that area.
Mary MacKenzie REALTOR e-PRO ABR
Prudential Connecticut Realty
203-319-2348 Direct/VM
203-258-3836 Mobile
MMacKenzie@prudentialct.com