Home Buying in Milford>Question Details

DHansen, Home Buyer in Milford, PA

We are considering moving to Milford but the only thing to stop us is my husband's commute to NYC.

Asked by DHansen, Milford, PA Sun Mar 10, 2013

He does shift work so his hours can change at any time and it seems like the bus and trains don't have very frequent timetables, is this true or are we missing something? TY!

Paul M Boos’ answer
A certain percentage of people do it daily and have been doing it for years, primarily by bus or train out of Port Jervis, New York. The younger you are, of course, could make a difference, but it is possible.

Paul M. Boos
Hello. I am a "super commuter" as we have been dubbed. Drive from Bluestone Ridge outside
of Milford to NYC. Did not plan on it! but here I am 16years later.
I leave 4:30am at the latest to make it in by 6ish. That includes a pit stop for gas and coffee on 15S.

You leave that area any later than that and I guarantee you will be in the car for 2+ hours EZ.

For years, I did the train out of Port Jervis to NYC via Hoboken via the path. Sucked and hated it.
Then did the coach bus out of Milford to NYC for many years. Somewhat more civilized but expensive.
Also hated it.
Now I drive. I have all the control over time and scheduling and I am also lucky enough to work from home 2 days a week. Also some weeks I stay a night in the Bronx. Now Im doing 2 rounds trips a week
from the comfort of my own car.
My advice to you, although its nice to live in the country. Stay close to work. You spend alot of hours on the road if you don't . Good luck. Frankg G Milford PA
I understand, my husband has commuted to Manhattan for many years. We both agree that the whole experience of living in this area has been well worth it.
If I can answer any questions, I would be happy to help. My e-mail is below.

Lei Ismaeil
ERA Meloi Realty
Matamoras, PA 18336
What would you say the commute is to Rockland County NY from Pocono mt wood lands or Conashagh?
If you plan on commuting Mon-Friday there are certainly many people in Milford who do commute to NYC. The train is in Port Jervis, NY, approx 15-20 min. away. There is a bus that leaves from Milford as well as one that leaves from the Best Western in Matamoras PA. The Milford area is a widespread area. Some home locations could add 15 min. + onto your commute. It takes about 1 and a half hours to get to NYC from Milford(without traffic).
I have been a realtor in the Milford, PA area for over sixteen years and many NYC families relocate to our area and love it! However, there is a give and take involved in the move.
Call me if I can be of any assistance.
Elena Quinn
Keller Williams Real Estate
Milford, Pa
I just checked the NJTransit train schedule....they have quite a few leaving in the early morning until early afternoon...then nothing until the evening.
The commute can be a challenge. Depending on where your husband works in NYC it may make more sense to drive to a station closer to NYC and take the train in from there. The Middletown NY station seems to have fewer trains but more spread out throughout the day.
Thank you! We were discussing it last night and came up with the same idea of him driving to a station closer to NYC then taking a train!
Flag Mon Mar 11, 2013