Home Buying in Golden>Question Details

Mame, Both Buyer and Seller in Golden, CO

We are considering moving from foothills (4 mi W of Morrison) into Golden, but concerned about how long it takes to sell a "mountain home".

Asked by Mame, Golden, CO Sun Nov 7, 2010

Any advice on how to time selling our current home and buying in the area near downtown Golden?

Answers

7
Mame-
We are the group for you!
Our average days on the market in the mountains is less than 60 days! We are Certified Mountain Specialists and have 9 listings currently in the Foothills. We have one listing in Tripp Ranch currently and will have a "one click" option on our webiste when we "roll out" with it in the next 10 days. We sold more mountain homes in the Winter last year than we did in the warm months. We are getting lots of relo moves and 2nd home purchases from out of state buyers...
Lots for us to talk about!
Give me a call!
Kimberly Ryan
Swan Realtor Group
303-523-8333
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Dear Mame,
You have received good advice! Every home will sell at the right price, in the right condition in any market. The "right" price is the most critical piece and that is where a quality professional Realtor is worth every penny in creating your successful sale! The price, condition and marketing are your "gas pedals" in the equation of selling a home. I would be happy to meet with you in person and share what tools I use that assure your success! Please feel free to email me directly at StewartSuccess@comcast.net or call anytime via 720-937-2846. I look forward to speaking with you soon!
Laura Stewart
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Hi Mame

Simple answer: If your home is priced and marketed correctly it should take no longer than a few months to sell your mountain home. You should be prepared for the fact that your home may not be worth what you believe it is. If you decide to try and sell your home for more than the market value, then yes, it could take a very long time.

As far as timing goes... If you need to sell your current home in order to buy the new one then you should first get the home you are living in under contract. While the home in the mountains is under contract you should find a suitable replacement and make an offer to purchase which is contingent on the sale of the mountain home. In this market, sellers generally will not accept a contingent offer unless the home is under contract.

Also, find a very good realtor to help you do this. It will save you a lot of time, money, and stress.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Mame,
The length of time it takes to sell really depends on a lot of factors. Price range of the home, location, condition and the price that you list it at, whether it's in the market or above market. I keep statistics of all areas and will be happy to send you the average time on market for your area within your price range. I have helped many buyers and sellers within the Golden area and into the foothills. Each situation is different. There are options and I'd be happy to discuss them with you as well as give you references of buyers and sellers that I have helped in that area. You can reach me at 303-913-9129
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
You are right to be concerned. Foothills properties are hard to sell. However, it is true that anything can sell at the right price. A lot depends on other factors as to whether your home will sell, and I don't know those factors -- highway noise, accessibility in winter snows, views, condition of house, etc. I would strongly suggest that you price your home right and not just with the agent who says he/she can sell it for the highest price... and then asks for price reductions when it doesn't. You might even invest in a full-blown appraisal, then price the home below that appraised value. If you do list the home, have no expectations about showings and offers. And don't go house-hunting until you have your home under contract. You'll just get frustrated finding homes you like but can't buy. I have more advice in my weekly real estate column, which is archived online. (See link)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010
Even though it means making a double move, many people are finding it less stressful to sell their current home first, then putting stuff in storage and renting an apartment or something until they find their new home. That way they don't have to worry about finding something they love and feeling pressured to sell before they lose it. Just a thought!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010

I really depends on the condition, location and price. Some homes are selling in less than 6 months and others take around 2 years. What is your address and I will tell you how much and how long it will take to sell it?

Matt Mansfield
Equity Colorado
303-725-8484
http://www.mansfielddenver.com
matt@mansfielddenver.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 7, 2010