Lucy, Home Buyer in Bucks County, PA

We are considering a home in the Hills of Sullivan in Avondale. I've heard that there are lots of mushroom

Asked by Lucy, Bucks County, PA Mon May 4, 2009

houses in the area. Does anyone know how bad and how often themushroom odor is? Thanx!

Answers

9
Hi I have lived in West Grove for 7 years now and I absolutly love it! I live in a little development called Harmony Hills. I think we are in a great location close to everything. As far as the mushrooms go-I think we are located just far enough away from the farms that we don't very ofter get the scent, and honestly it's really not all that bad you- actually get use to it from what I hear from some people who live closer to the farms.,
If this can help you make a decision, two of the biggest farms in the West Grove area are moving out to Maryland. The first farm will leave starting this September and the second the following September. We have excellent schools here in the Avon Grove School district w/ all kinds of actvities for the kids. In some of the older developments 10-20 years old, we have pretty low taxes- mine are only about $4200 a year for half an acre and a 4 bd 2.5 bath home-we even have public water and sewer and no HOA fee which is a common thing with some of the newer developments in this area.
I deffinately would recommend West Grove to anyone who would ask-Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 12, 2009
I don't know if you're still looking but the schools in Chester County are superior to DelawareI live in the Kennett Square section of Avondale and the convenience and environment(social) is fantastic.As for the person who said al the kids go to private schools ,in my 90 house development I believe that only one family sends their kids to a private school.They have just built a brand new elementary school up the road.
That area is a good choice, it is on a raised level, so the smell is not that bad, plus there are two builders who are building new homes in the same locale ($350k+). So you should be getting a good deal if you negotiate.
Lucy, did you move to the hills of sullivan or did you find somewhere else?
Hi Lucy,
Hills of Sullivan is a lovely community. The smell is not from mushroom houses, it is from the mushroom composting operations on Penn Green Rd. which do run year round. Hills of Sullivan is not down wind on a normal prevailing wind day , however, when the wind shifts from it's normal direction or a storm is coming or on those misty moisty days you will get the smell. If you do not want the smell at all, I would suggest looking at communities around the Route 896 Corridor, only a few miles away but without the smell.....
I used to live in Avondale. The area is very quite, although in the summer, the mushroom smell can be pretty bad. As to whether to pick DE or PA, if you have kids, move to PA- they still have buses that bring kids from Newark to Wilmington, to icnreasee diversity.
If you are much older or have no kids, its a good investment to move to DE.
If you want some rolling hills and farm space, move to PA. When you cross the border from DE to PA, the landscape literally changes in an instant.
Hills of Sullivan and LondonCroft may be good areas to settle, since they are on elevated land tables.
Move to Delaware taxes are 1300 a year for a huge house on 1/2 acre. Close to everything and no mushroom smell. I take that back if the wind is blowing just right and the fog is heavy in the AM we sometimes can smell it. Imagine if you live right there it is terrible
i live in landenberg, a little west of avondale. i can definitely smell the mushroom farms, especially when the wind is right, but it doesn't bother me much. i think it contributes to the rural/semi-rural character of the area. everyone has their own sensitivities.

i'm in franklin township, where the income tax is 0.5%. my property taxes are a "low" ~$6100 (recently appealed down from ~$8900). avon grove schools are supposed to be very good, but i don't have school-age kids yet. many i know either live in PA and use public schools or live in DE and use private schools. i have heard many low opinions of DE public schools, but have recently heard a couple more positive. there are definitely some lesser districts in DE, but a couple stand out in a good way. DE state income taxes are higher, property taxes lower. most in landenberg/avondale area shop in DE anyhow, so still benefit from no sales tax.

imho, these things all balance themselves out. otherwise, everyone would live in one place. but your preferences and priorities will make the difference. if mushrooms are your concern, visit one of the farms and see about a tour. of course, it's hard to find better mushroom soup anywhere! :-)

good luck!
I lived in Avondale for a year. Had a beautiful home built and thought it would be great. The taxes are terrible in that area and then when you file your taxes in april they take another 1% of your gross pay for the year for New Garden Township as if $18,000 home taxes were not enough. The mushroom smell in the heat of the summer in worse than I can describe. Schools only just OK. everyone I knew had their kids in private school to boot. Moved to DE much happier
Delaware had many hidden taxes so do your homework first.
Flag Fri May 16, 2014