Home Buying in Martinez>Question Details

Avymaker, Home Buyer in Martinez, CA

We are buying our first home. Do you think Martinez is a good area? We are looking in the $400 price range.

Asked by Avymaker, Martinez, CA Thu Jul 23, 2009

Answers

8
Nick Issa’s answer
Absolutely, Martinez is a great town, I live and work here in Martinez for the last 10 years when I moved from Walnut Creek. I think a home in the 400K range will go a lot further in Martinez. for you and will get a nicer neighborhood too. Martinez has a lot of pocket neighborhoods to choose from; it has a charming downtown and an ever improving Marina. Take a tour in town and explore its a beauty.
Adding a bit to Joni's post below, as of July 3, 2009 the state is no longer accepting applications for the new home tax credit of $10,000. They received oer $100 million in new home credit applications and more than 12,000 applications:

http://ftb.ca.gov/individuals/New_home_Credit.shtml

You can, however, still qualify for the first time home buyer tax credit of up to $8,000 if you have not owned a home for at least three years:

http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com
I sold new homes in Martinez for nearly two years (at Belmont Terrace) and I found the town to be super charming. Morello Elementary has won Prestigious School awards and is viewed as the best in town by the locals. Being in the Morello district would be considered the higher value homes in town. The West Air neighborhood has some really nice single family homes around your price point and you get the good schools. I am also very familiar with the new home development that is going up there, as I used to manage the community. If you want the best deal on new, call me. I know the builder well and know what you can and can't do on a purchase. There is a lot of great benefits in new as well, like the additional tax credit that is currently available (unless the funds have run out!). I would love to help you out. 510-847-1450
Avymaker,

I just closed escrow on a home in Martinez. My client was drawn to the small town charm, especially the downtown area. Right now, there are 38 homes listed in the $325,000-$475,000 price range.

If you don't mind paying HOA fees, you can get a brand new house in the low to mid $400,000's.

Feel free to contact me for more information on any homes in the area.

Craig Lawler
Security Pacific Real Estate Services
Craig@RealEstateCraig.com
Martinez is a great area. Pay attention to the schools though. Alhambra and Mt. Diablo test differently it that is a priority. For 400k your monsy buys so much more.

Since there is the "Stigma" of refineries people generally close their mind to there. Martinez is a very nice town. It is slightly smaller population wise than Pleasant Hill and Concord but is much more tight knit. On one end there are ranchettes estates that border Lafayette and Pleasant Hill (That cost millions) and there are 150k homes and everyone seems to care about the rich history of the town.

I usually say people who live in Martinez are Martinez people. I know its a non sequitur but it characterizes the town very well. Martinez people love their town and community and are proud to let people know it. It's a fine choice.
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
Hi Avymaker,

I would recommend Concord, north of Ygnacio Valley and south of West, between Concord and Clayton. There is a new listing at "4354 Hazelwood" 4 bedrooms/2 baths, 1,560 sq ft, 8,000 sq ft lot, move-in ready in and in great condition priced at $349,900. If you would like to see the property, I can schedule a showing for you. Sellers require 1 hour notice for showings. You may reach me at (925) 876-1460

Rich

Richard Hoag
Premier Realty Associates
925.876.1460
http://www.richardhoag.com
Being in Martinez is a matter of perception. The refineries are close by and you will hear the sirens. There are newer areas as well as older areas. With a $400k price range, you should be able to find a decent neighborhood.
Hi Avymaker,
I live in and work the Martinez area for real estate. It's a great place to live and your price range should put you in a great property. There are so many hidder charms of Martinez.. I'm a VP on the board of directors for the Martinez Chamber and would be happy to familiarize you with our wonderful community. Aside from it's charm, the schools are better than Pleasant Hill. Please visit my website to find out more about the community and feel free to ask me any questions.
Suzanne Looker