Home Buying in Plano>Question Details

Marie, Home Buyer in Plano, TX

We are buying in Trails of Glenwood in Plano and torn between Grand and First Texas Homes. Which is best quality?

Asked by Marie, Plano, TX Thu Apr 19, 2012

Thereare floorplans we like with both, but wonder which will give us the best quality, heard some horror stories on Grand Heard but don't know if it is the exception or the rule. Any first hand experience?

Answers

12
In Texas it's up to you to find out where the Sewage Plants and the Landfills are located. Plus good luck trying to find out where there maybe ammonium nitrate fertilizer storage locations are. The current Attorney Gregg Abbot who is now running for Governor of Texas just made it to where not even local officials in a city or town will tell you where they are located. I know you don't want to be downwind or anywhere near a Sewage or Landfill. Let me let you in on a dirty little secret here in The Colony, TX 75056. The City of the Colony staff whoever they are add a bacteria to the sewage processing plant and a spinning device rotates that the waste reducing the smell. They have this spinner on a timer so that when City Staff reports to work the device starts to spin one hour prior to their arrival so they never smell the stench. This timer also shuts off at about 6pm daily and the stench returns. In the winter the smell is really bad around the plant. In the State of Texas the Real Estate Agent doesn't have to tell you where these sites are it's up to you to do your Due Diligence and find out for yourself where these sites are. DO NOT TAKE ANYONE"S WORD for it. Do the research yourself. A bunch of people have been burned this way and guess what if you complain not only to The City of The Colony staff this is applicable to all cities in Texas. By the way the ammonium nitrate fertilizer storage locations have been public information for the last 30 years. It just changed this year after the KOCH Brothers made a big contribution to the Greg Abbot for Gov. Campaign.
Not much difference between these two builders. I say go towards West Plano and buy an existing home. That's a better area with better resale, commute, schools, prestige and amenities. Still I don't dislike far east Plano where you are looking if you must have a new house. Plano is retaining its value due to better commute and schools. Outer ring suburbs like Allen, Plao, Murphy can sell cheaper new homes but resale is not easy because People prefer buy existing homes in Plano.
In Plano, I would personally only buy resale. Plano's hayday was in the late 1970's to the early 1990's - good years in Texas' economic history, and the homes were build with the intent of builders making names for themselves. Lots of custom homes and great workmanship. Tour resale and you may actually be blown away by how much more character exists in the homes.

Have a blessed day!
Ronda
Always use a Realtor many details involved in home construction you are not aware . Happy to assist you contact my office.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Definitely use a realtor to assist you in the negotiations. They can help you figure out what your most important requirements are in the home and floor plan/amenities. Whichever builder you chose, make sure to get a thorough home inspection prior to closing. I've seen many oversights on new construction lately, whether intentional or not. You don't want to try and have repairs done after you move in and have found things that need to be fixed or replaced.

John
Systematic Home Inspections
214-600-4344
Hi Marie,

You'll need to consult with your realtor. Each builder will have a different price point and different updates/upgrades. The sales agent is there to represent the builder and not you so if you don't have a realtor working on your side I would suggest hiring one. The realtor will be able to negotiate on your behalf and share with you their knowledge of the builders and the community/area.

Let me know if you need help.

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Marie,

Both are great builders. You will find different styles and incentives offered by both builders as well as good reviews and bad reviews depending on one's personal experience. Another option is D.R. Horton. They also pay up to $5k in your closing costs. I just got my clients a sigined contract this week on a 3300 sft home that is being built in that same subdivision on an over sized lot with a four car garage with lots of upgrades and a 28k decorating allowance under $300k. A good realtor who knows the area and the builders can help you negotiate a better deal than if you go straight to the builder without a realtor.

Sherry M. Cabrera, Realtor®
Keller Williams | Preston Road Dallas
3411 Preston Road, Ste C-13187
Frisco, Texas 75034

Direct: 214-454-6969
Fax: 866-756-1208
E-Mail: sherrycabrerarealtors@gmail.com
Marie.. briefly ...builders typically build the same floorplans with a little twist, incentives and features for each community and location. Quality is based on the builder on site building your home and attention to detail and construction, plus materials used. Hiring a Realtor to represent your interest , share their advice and opinion based on their experience dealing with both builders, is a very important consideration.

Realtors can help you compare builders, floorplans, pricing, standard and upgrades offered, green features, to make sure you negotiate and spend your money wisely. I have worked with First Texas and Grand Homes, currently finalising a deal with First Texas.

Both are great builders and recognise customer service is important. It helps to have someone working on your behalf.

Best of luck.
Jamuna Thill, 972 814 3682
Grand Homes is a great builder. I own one myself! They had trouble about 10 years ago but have changed the way they do things and have really proven to be an expectional builder. Whatever you do be sure to have your own realtor working for you!! Home builders are professional sellers and you will need someone on your side!
Marie,

I have 10 years experience dealing with builders exclusively. I certainly have my opinions based on experiences both good and bad. I hope you understand that as a Real Estate Broker it is not in my best interest to put out negative information online. If you would like to visit about your concerns please feel free to give me a call.

-Chris
214.684.4682
chris@chrisspear.net
Hi Marie-

Both builders are good builders but may have a different price point. I would ask your real estate agent who is helping you.

I have my clients compare the materials used in the home, such as what grade level is the granite? Is the wood floor re-engineered or nailed down and then stained? Are the cabinets custom made on the spot to fit the areas? Are they putting a radiant barrier in the attic? Are the windows vinyl and what is the energy rating?

If you agent doesn't know the answers already, the builders can give you this as well.

If you are not working with an agent and would like quality representation to negotiate with the builders, I would love to help you!

Please feel free to text or email, I will be happy to help you.

Sherry Renfroe
Ebby Halliday Relators
(214) 215-4145
sherryrenfroe@ebby.com
http://www.sherryrenfroe.com
Please contact me, I need more info.

Mike Brownstead
Ebby Halliday Realtors
214-872-0400