Roberta.norc…, Home Owner in Prior Lake, MN

We are buying a short sale and our agent nor the sellers agent will be at the closing. Is that normal? Shouldnt the sellers agent at least be there?

Asked by Roberta.norcia, Prior Lake, MN Thu Aug 4, 2011

respond to
roberta.norcia@comcast.net

Answers

21
I've never missed a closing. However, your agent might have a reason why they can't attend. Ask them. The person who really needs to attend the closing is your mortgage officer. You could have questions about the mortgage papers and they should be there to answer them. As long as the sellers' agent was able to get the sellers and their bank to sign, there's no need for the sellers' agent to attend. Congratulations on your new home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 4, 2011
We dilligently serve the interests of our buyers and sellers. Whenever possible we attend the closings of our customers. Many times the closings are a mail out and it is not possible to attend. If there is any reason that our customers prefer the privacy and confidential time with their Real Estate Attorney or Title Company Closer we respect their wishes and urge them to seek the counsel of these professionals. We have recommendations for other professionals - http://www.agent4naples.com has a buyer and seller page that offers these options.
Web Reference: http://www.agent4naples.com
I recently closed a short sale and this is the first closing that I did not attend and that was not by choice. I like to be involved in every aspect of my transactions, I am a hands on person, it is important that I am available to answer any questions.
Tracy and I really do try to attend our customers closings and support our Naples buyers or sellers throughout the process. Our buyers frequently have questions about registering with the community, local utilitys or other contacts and we are always available to help- in fact we put much information on our website http://www.agent4naples.com. We find that many of our Naples home buyers and sellers are closing from out of town and have the paperwork sent to them. We do not work with short sales and forclosures, however, when a closing involves a short sale and possibly multiple banks, it seems that sellers are guided more by their attorney and it is important not to confuse the issue in any way and sometimes it is best to stay out of the picture. All closing cost information on the HUD, closing details and legal questions are handled by the Title company or Real Estate attorney handling the closing. However, we find that the closing is the best time to thank our customers and re-affirm our longstanding relationship with them and offer to always be their resource.
Hi Roberta,
Well its not exactly normal, but is it common? Yes, it happens. Actually, closings can be executed remotely, and neither the buyers/sellers nor the agents are mandated to be there. Personally, my team and I always make it a point to be present at closings. But for some of our properties, we have had to work with closing companies in Tampa, over 2 hours away from us, and they had to be arranged remotely. I would say the most important thing is if your agent very carefully went over your HUD-1 Closing Statement with you. That's where they need to make sure that everything is correct, and there are no mistakes. Make sure you feel comfortable with this step, and ask any questions that you have to.

Hope this helps!
Angie Curkovic and The Curkovic Real Estate Team
239-330-1225
I cannot think of a legitimate reason for your Agent to not be there, although it is not required. Perhaps even more important is for your Agent to review the HUD-1 Closing Statement in detail with you PRIOR TO closing, particularly if your Agent will not be there.

We require all our Agents to review the HUD-1 closing statement with their Buyer or Seller clients prior to closing because there are some complicated calculations, many different items that may appear, and it is extremely important that they are accurate and understood by all parties.
I cannot think of a legitimate reason for your Agent to not be there. Perhaps even more important is for your Agent to review the HUD-1 Closing Statement in detail with you PRIOR TO closing, particularly if your Agent will not be there.

Normal? Not really, but certainly not unusual. If you are the buyer why would you care if the other side's agent is at the closing.
Many times the seller nor the listing agent attends the date of closing. In Florida the seller's documents can be signed prior to the closing date.

When representing a Buyer, I always attend closing with my Client. If for any reason I have a conflict and cannot attend, I get a fellow Realtor to attend on my behalf.

If you have an issue with your Realtor not attending ,let yor agent know and ask if its possible to get another Realtor to go to closing with you. Often times we Realtors cover for one another when necessary.
Hello and thank you for the question.

I always attend my clients closings, however not agents do. It is really up to the agent, it is not required. But, I have seen short sales fall apart right at the closing table. I would ask your agent to be there with you so you have a feeling of security. If you are not in the business and they start talking mumbo jumbo and you do not understand it, you may feel intimidated. Hope this helps and have a great day.

Alisa M. Accardi
Downing-Frye Realty, Inc.
239-207-9633
http://www.buynaplesfloridahomes.com
alisamaccardi@gmail.com
Hi Roberta,
You pose a Great Question. I would think so, I believe that it is a matter of professionalism. Is it necessary, unfortunately, no it is not.

In Florida, we use Title companies to close. The title company has done all of the work to make sure that clear title is being transfered and that there are no outstanding liens on the property. They will explain everyhing you need to know about the property as well as the financing and taxes. So, the property can and will transfer legally.

You are in good hands, will your agent be there?

Debbie Albert, PA
Keller Williams Treasure Coast
Roberta, I am sorry to hear that your realtor has chosen not to attend the closing with you. John and Sandra are an excellent husband/wife team that used to work for me and have given you good advice. Phone your realtor and let them know you'd prefer they attend the closing with you. I too always attend the closing for whomever I'm representing - buyer or seller. If a problem arises it can often be worked out quickly if I am there and bring the deal to a close as opposed to delays in closing! Best of luck to you!
We always plan on attending the closing with our clients unless they do not want us to accompany them, or if it is a mail-away closing. However, we do recommend an attorney handling the closing, and especially with a short sale, the attorney can be handle any questions that may arise. If there is a mortgage, the lender will generally attend or will be easy to contact as well. You should relay your concerns to your agent since they may not realize your discomfort about attending this closing on your own. The seller's agent represents the seller and probably would not answer your questions so it is irrelevant to you if that person attends. Of course, the law and customary procedures vary in all states. Congratulations, and best of luck with your purchase.

John & Sandra James
Prudential Florida Realty
(239) 784-7000
E-Mail: MarcoTropicalRealty@comcast.net
The sellers agent would only be at a closing by reqyuest of the seller. The buyers agent is reponsible to attend to the buyers needs and wishes. Often in our market both buyer and seller close via mail and no one atytends a physical closing.
Roberta,

Neither agent needs to be there no matter what type of sale it is, in fact neither do the buyer or seller.However, I like to be there because I feel it is a courtesy to my clients.

There have been times when the buyer or seller may have completed there end of the process days before the final closing, this is more common than you think.

I always close with an attorney so that by the time we are at the closing table any rinkles have been taken care.

If everyone has done their job ther will be no problems.

Good Luck to you.

Agnes Tabor, REALTOR
ABR - Accredited Buyers representative
PREMIERE PLUS REALTY
Naples,FL
Doug is right....if you have a mortgage they should attend. Most questions arise in regards to a mortgage if you have one.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Bonita-Estero-RealEstate.com
Hi
Every agent has their own style. I attend all of my closings and if for some reason I can't I send a representative. That has always been my way whether I am on the listing or selling side. For me, the transaction does not end at the closing table. But, there is not a rule.
Really in Florida there is no reason for the agent to be there....unless of course you request them to be. If you want them to be there so you are more comfortable them let them know.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Bonita-Estero-RealEstate.com
I agree with Ron. Unless I'm on vacation, I always attend the closing with my client. I like to be there to answer any last minute questions they may have while they are signing the closing documents. If you would like your agent to be there, ask him/her.
Roberta

No, doesn't matter if they're there, butr I sure would suggest your lawyer being there to check over your documents at a foreclosure closing
I would guess that most Agents do not attend.
I do.
I feel my job isn't over, there are always questions and problems. Even if I did my job.
But a lot don't feel that way.
Ask the Title Officer, or pick up your cell phone and call them.

Good luck and may God bless