Home Buying in Birmingham>Question Details

Diane.vascon…, Home Buyer in Anaheim, CA

We are buying a midcentury modern home near Silver Lake in Atlanta. I would like to know who designed it. Where would I begin searching?

Asked by Diane.vasconez, Anaheim, CA Tue Jun 11, 2013

Answers

1
If you were here in Birmingham, you might be able to find something in the building permits either in the county or city in which the home was located when the land was initially developed. It might take some dedicated searching through the archives since much of the "mid-century" records may not have made it to online status. County tax records could at least tell you when the home was built. It would also likely give you the recorded subdivision name, map book and page, and possibly the developer and lender who signed the original survey plat, giving you more avenues for research. Finally, a local title company may have all this at their fingertips, and I would start with the company supplying your title insurance for the purchase. (Hopefully, you *are* purchasing title insurance as a part of your transaction!)