bmrubie, Other/Just Looking in Milford, CT

We are an African American family and plan to move to Milford. We have tried to meet residents, but we just find it difficult to meet people help!

Asked by bmrubie, Milford, CT Tue Nov 26, 2013

Answers

4
Purchasing a house is not an easy task. There will be lots of problem that you need to cope up to buy a good house. For first time buyer, it is essential to remember certain factors. So, here are the points that you should follow before the purchase of the house.
1. Can you afford the house? Do you have enough money to purchase the house? Ask these questions to yourself and then take the step. It will give you satisfaction on the right choice of the house. What have you decided to do next?
2. If you desire buying a house in Connecticut, you should know about the selling price in that particular area. It saves you from fraud service and there is no looking back if everything goes well.
3. Determine the settlement cost of the house. It will assure you about the actual price of the house. You need to focus on tax rate, registration charge, and many other charges.
4. Do not only trust on the pictures of the house. You should go that place and see the house on your own eyes. It will double assure you about the property. Check the house properly and then take decision on investment.
5. Before buying a house in Connecticut, you should talk with real estate agents. They can guide you in all possible manners. You will get all genuine information from them. They are always here to guide you on the best deal of the house.
Well, you know one person - your Realtor who helped you find your house. Ask them for help. Also, if you have children in the school system, I suggest getting involved there or in local sports or even go to the public play grounds. Otherwise, I would say get outside. If you are living south of the Post Rd, there are a lot of people who walk - especially in the downtown and beach communities. That is a great way to get to know your neighbors. There are also a lot of local events and organizations such as the Oyster Festival, The Milford Fine Arts Council, the United Way, Habitat for Humanity, and the Red Cross who are looking for volunteers. Volunteering is a great way to meet people who care about some of the same things you do. Finally, if you are a religious person, a house of worship is always a good way to meet people who share your beliefs. I know it can be daunting, but Milfordites are pretty friendly folk. They just don't know yet that they really like you.
If you have younger children I would recommend you visit the local library. Most Libraries have story time and at times they have monthly events you can participate in. This will give you the opportunity to meet other parents and for your children to interact with children their age. I hope this helps!
Milford has many parks and beaches that are a joy to walk around in. Many residents of Milford are out and about there during the warmer weather and are usually friendly enough to start a conversation with. If you have a dog, I suggest taking it for a walk around the area. Walking the old dump road (its much nicer than it sounds lol) from walnut beach to silver sands is good exercise, and you get beautiful views of Charles Island and the breeze from the sound keeps you feeling cool on warmer days. If you don't have a pet, then I suggest using the boardwalk between the two beaches (pets are not allowed on the boardwalk or beach). Gulf beach is also beautiful and with the concession stand there you don't have to worry about packing a lunch. If you have facebook, you can always "like" the Milford Local page as well as the YMCA. People at the YMCA are always pleasant, and the indoor pool is open year round and a great way for both you and your children to meet people. Milford is an amazing little city. I have lived here for just about two years now, and I have no desire to live anywhere else. I hope this helps!