Raffles, Home Buyer in New York

We are a gay couple looking to buy a 2br 2 Bath on the UES (Lenox Hill/Sutton place preferred) with a $1.25million budget. Any suggestions?

Asked by Raffles, New York Wed May 2, 2012

Answers

43
As a side note, your relationship status or sexual orientation is not and can not be taken into account by any Realtor in the United States when representing you in your purchase, as that would be a violation of the NAR code of ethics. So, no reason to be concerned with mentioning it. Only thing that matters is your ability to afford the home you desire.

Cheers!
What does being gay have to do with what you're buying or your budget. Did I miss something? Are you concerned you'll be discriminated against?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 8, 2012
Hi Raffles,

There are many current listings available in your price range and desired neighborhood.

Your sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or partnership status are protected classes under NYC Human rights laws. Same sex marriage has been legal in NY for almost a year. There are also many gay people sitting on coop boards throughout Manhattan.

Feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help you.

Mitchell Hall, Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
917-312-0924
MHALL@corcoran.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
I own an apartment in Lenox Hill and I would be delighted to help you!

This is a fantastic area, we love it, and property values are expected to increase once the Second Ave subway is finished. The latest MTA info projects that subway station construction will be finished in 2013. For now, the Select M15 bus and dedicated bus lanes get us around much faster than was possible before.

I specialize in helping people find great homes in dog friendly buildings, and preparing owners and, if necessary, their pets for board interviews in co-op buildings. So if you have a dog or a possible dog in your future, this is an important factor as you look at apartments.

If you're worried that your familial status will result in a board turn-down: Fear not. What's vital, though, is your finances. A few buildings require 50% down payments, or even all-cash purchases. Some will accept 20% down payment. You want to know the board's expectations for your finances before you fall in love with an apartment.

The vast majority of buyers use a buyer's broker in Manhattan to look out for their best interests, so that's my first suggestion--find yourself a broker (more precisely, an agent) you'd like to work with. Your agent has a fiduciary responsibility to you, unlike the agent who works for the seller. You can confide in your own agent without fearing that the information will be used against you in negotiations.

Please feel free to contact me anytime ~

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
kharby@crrnyc.com
212-688-1000x146
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
Consider working with an agent of your own; therefore ask people you may know for recommendations; or contact and interview in person a few local agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best. If purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012
Your lifestyle is truthfully not important to me or other Agents. The job at hand is to find you the best deal and suitable property to match the criteria in a home you need. Make sure you get yourself an Agent well versed in the area you want to live in, possibly an ABR(Accredited Buyer Representative) designation. I wish you all the best in your home search! Regards Allan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012
I'm just curious to know why you felt the need to say you are a gay couple. In our business we do not or should not descriminate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012
Understood but the board can turn you down for any other frivolous reason. You take your chances with co-op boards that's the big negative. In Suffolk County, the boards are forced to give you a reason for denial, hopefully with time that will extend to other areas. All the best with your search.
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
The reason is because we are looking to buy possibly a coop where board approval for purchases are required. Some boards are very conservative and I will rather not waste time identifying buildings/units I like only to come up against a board may reject our application and offer (despite our sound financials).
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
Hi, Raffles,
It's great that you know where you want to live and what your budget is. There are two things to do now. You need to be pre-approved by a lender and you need to begin working with a skilled, experienced agent to assist you with your purchase. The reason having your own buyer's agent is so important is because the listing agent works for the seller. You really want a pro on your side, looking out for your interests. We streamline your search, negotiate on your behalf, take you through each step of the buying process to a successful conclusion.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012
I've been pre-approved by a lender. Am really seeking a buyer broker who is knowledgeable about buildings and coop boards in the lenox hill/Sutton place area.
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
It would be my pleasure to work with you and your partner. Please call me at 917-892-7283
Peter, I know the original poster didn't reply, but you have to realize something about Trulia. When people first start to post, they don't realize they are answering an old question. Some of them are even much older than this one. Sometimes you have an agent giving their details, offering to e-mail listings, to someone who was looking to buy 3 years ago.
There was nothing wrong with the original e-mail, it's just that everyone has to get with the program here.
I've seen this email so many times, I doubt it's veracity,

Peter Howard
Call 917 414 5093, and tell me the things which are important to you in an apartment..
OK the first link was to condo listings and this is for coops - the same idea - to give you a range of what is available. cheers,
http://media.realplusonline.com/webreports/1208190cbdecc8.htm
I did a quck search for you and this should give you and idea of everything that is available on UES up to 1.25MM budget. Copy/Paste this link to see the listings http://media.realplusonline.com/webreports/120819dc3c7083.htm#
I was not sure how far North and how far East you want to look and just wanted to give you a range. Let me know if anything looked interesting and I would be happy to provide more details and arrange for a showing,

Elena Ravich
Rakita Realty
646 593 7207
elena@rakitarealty.com
I would be happy to help you find an apartment. I specialize on the Upper East Side, have lived up here myself for the past 10 years and know the inventory well. I worked in the D & D building with interior designers and architects prior to real estate and great up around the Sutton Place/Lenox Hill area. You can definitely find a wonderful apartment within your budget. Are you looking for a condo or co-op? How much are you looking to spend a month in maintenance/taxes? Please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to discuss this further and help you find the perfect home. My e-mail is NGary@kwnyc.com and my cell is (914) 557-1666

Licensed Real Estate Salesperson

Keller Williams NYC
425 Park Avenue, 6th Floor | New York, NY 10022

c (914) 557-1666
o (212) 838-3700
f (212) 838-1956
email: ngary@kwnyc.com
http://www.kwnyc.com
SEARCH NYC PROPERTIES WITH ME
Price:
$3,800/mo
Bedrooms: 1
Bathrooms: 1
Property type: Apartment
Size: —
Lot: —
Year built: —
Terms of lease: month-to-month
Pets: —
Added on Trulia:
am a very good agent i have a degree in housing and development,so don't worry about this things because i can make a good contract for you and your gay friend, if you will call me so we can talk business and be happy. yours faithfully.foxjohnson. this is my number-+44 7031891827
There are many options for you on the upper east side in Lenox Hill and Sutton Place
As an east side resident for 28 years and a real estate broker for 21 years, I'm very familiar with the inventory of homes.
Feel free to contact me with your wish list and I can tell you about properties that could be your home.

Marilyn Mayers
Lic. Assoc. RE Broker, Sr. VP
Halstead Property LLC
212.381.3211
Dear Raffles,

Please give me a call to discuss details and to arrange to view units.

Peter Howard, Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg, LLC
127 East 56th Street, The 4th Floor
New York NY, 10022

917-414-5093
Absolutely, family as well:) give me a call, 718.791.5427 or email me at Angelan@nestseekers.com and i will definately help you find your new home.
Hi have a great two bedroom, two full bath with a huge terrace at 235 East 87th Street, 9C asking $1,195,000. Let me know if you have interest.
Ted Karagannis
http://www.elliman.com/TEK
Hi Raffles!

I see that you are very popular..

I have some good ideas for your search. I just filtered through my database and found some things that might be cool. BUT, I'd rather speak with you about your requirements first.

Please feel free to contact me to get started!

Neeta Mulgaokar
Licensed RE Assoc Broker - Spire Group NY
734-945-0454
neeta@spiregroupny.com
Being Gay should not affect anything you are doing. If it does there are bigger problems then your house...
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RELOCATE WE HAVE A VERY PRIVATE 39+ ACRE PERSONAL RESIDENCE IN VIRGINIA. FOR MORE PICS & INFO CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AT: http://WWW.FARM-COUNTRY-ESTATE.COM THIS IS OUR PERSONAL RESIDENT. IT'S WONDERFUL HERE, BUT I WANT TO MOVE CLOSER TO OUR SON & GRANDCHILD.
We have some nice places on the upper east side. Please contact John at 212-714-1027 ext 11 for assistance. Thank you and good luck.
Hi Raffles. There are many great answers below and current market prices are favorable to your budget.

As an aside on the Patrick and Robin thread, REBNY is the local board in Manhattan. A fantastic location that is a singular market in many ways. Patrick notes NAR ethics and of course REBNY has similar ethics. The Federal fair housing laws would be in play here and since they are Law, they have teeth!

Even though Coop boards may not be required to give reason for a rejection, I doubt sexual orientation issues are anything to be concerned with. What the board will see is a properly put together board package presented by your Broker, showing your financials, letters of reference, credit check, etc. Their primary impression of you will be strictly financial and that carries a lot of weight. Good luck.
Patrick, what you are saying is definitely correct, but what happens with co-op boards is a different story, and they don't have to tell you why they are turning you down. A perceptive realtor who knows the building well may be able to figure it out though.
Sometimes you get more for your money with a co-op, so even though a condo doesn't have the approval process to deal with, it is not always the choice that everyone makes.
Have you considered buying an entire house, with a backyard? You may, (or may not) be interested in various neighborhoods other than Manhattan, where you could have 2 to 3 times the buying power, in terms of square footage, as well as other features that are of value.
Cheers
Hello Raffles,
Other than 2br/2ba for $1.25Mil What are you looking for? in terms of amenities?
pet friendly? terrace? etc...
There are many different kind of buildings in Manhattan and on the UES.
You have to be careful where on the UES because of the construction going on for the extension
of the subway line. Of course, once it is completed your property will be worth a little fortune.
Have you been pre-qualified? and is the UES the only neighborhood you are willing to reside in?
You should schedule an appointment with a few brokers and go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Learn the process and ask questions.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me
Fern Hamberger
Vice president Associate Broker, NYRS, REBNY
Citi-Habitats Relocation and Corporate headquarters
fhamberger@citi-habitats.com
Are you looking just for a condo, or will a coop do as well? And what are the maximun monthly charges that you would care to pay?

Steven Weiss
Vice President
Bellmarc Realty
(212) 239-0900x274
(917) 414-1068
sweiss@bellmarc.com
maximum monthly preferably no more than $2K. Coops are fine as we plan to live in Manhattan for at least 5 years.
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
I am hoping that you are not thinking that being a gay couple will make a difference here. What I find is important when buying co-ops in Manhattan, if that is the route you choose, is having an agent who is familiar with the building so they are aware of how the board makes their decisions. If they are stricter, then the seller might be less willing to take your offer. From my experience, this has been the case, even when I have been working with the couple, and had a commitment for them before contract were even signed. This was 7 or 8 years ago, and things have changed, more in terms of whether it is a buyers or seller's market, than anything else. If it is a seller's market, they tend to be a little more picky.
The important things are whether you are qualified, how well, meaning more like the 30% debt-to-income ratio in some buildings, as apposed to the 38%-45% that you can get away with from a lender. Also, they may have a requirement as far as post-closing reserves. Depending on your loan size, and what bank your loan is sent to, there are differences there as well. In that price range, you are unlikely to find a co-op building that allows 10% down. Even 20% is not what is allowed in all buildings. Not knowing what you are thinking about, you might not have enough to look at some buildings if they require 25% or 30% down, if that leaves you short of reserves.
I would be happy to have you contact me to review all of the details, and see what is best for you. My company is a mortgage banking company that also gives us the flexibility of brokering loans to various banks if their product and rate is better than what we can offer. Although my office is on Long Island, I am very familiar with the NYC condo and co-op market. I have been in the business for over 13 years, and have seen its ups and downs, both in terms of rates, programs, availability of money, you name it.
Hi Raffles:

With that kind of budget you are sure to find something in your price range that is in good shape. The key question to ask is what are your objectives? - home only, make home yours completely, not do any work and just move in, minor amounts of work etc.? How long are you intending to live there? Will you even want or need to rent it?

One of the things to consider is that as the UES slid in price during our recession, what slide further was properties that needed to be renovated. You may want to consider in your search units that you can gut. I sold a unit a year ago in the UES that needed gutting. The buyer paid under $1mm (avoiding mansion tax), put in about 300k or so and now I estimate her home is worth about 1.45mm.

From a co-op perspective, being pre-approved, putting at minimum 20% down (or more) and having the DTI below 30% is critical (DTI can change depending on the board). Having a smart agent that can get you through the offer, mortgage and board approval is also critical. Board packages are not fill in the blank and neither are interviews. Both are strategic and well planned out. Only a good agent can get you through the tough boards, and that is completely dependent on how strong (strategic) your board package is.

From a condo perspective, the rules are much more flexible, but you would be surprised how much work goes into getting a mortgage. Again, having a good agent to get you through the process is critical to speed, keeping your lock or just the general process moving. They know the levers and read the nuances to know the questions to ask to get things moving faster.

Happy to discuss at your convenience.

Kelly Killian
Vice President
Bond New York
954-675-9915
Raffles
I would love to help you out. I am straight, but if you would prefer a gay agent, I work closely with a great gay RE agent. We both are Corcoran agents and can repensent you on the buyers side of the transaction with out any conflicts. Pleae contact me and we can a better idea of your wants and needs and then get started. I sure you knoe ther is plenty of inventory in the little info you have given.
Give me a call or email me.
Doug Crowell
Licensed RE Agent
Corcoran
direct 212-605-9274
cell 915-525-2222

email dcrowell@corcoran.com
Hi Raffles,

I live and work on the UES. I would be happy to help you with your search. There is certainly inventory available in your price range. If you are considering coops or condos you have greater options. Coops require board approval. As it has already been stated you need to be pre approved by a mortgage lender if you intend to finance. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Lisa

Lisa Cunningham
Sotheby's International Realty
38 E 61st Street
New York, New York 10065
646-234-2829
lisa.cunningham@sothebyshomes.com
Give me a call at 917 414 5093 and I'll show you plenty of places conforming to your desire.

Peter Howard, Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg, LLC
127 East 56th Street
New York, NY
10022
You will want to begin by speaking with a mortgage broker who will be able to tell you what your net budget is after the monthly maintenance and common charges are factored in.

You now have the opportunity to search 20,000 listings on my website that come directly from the borkers themselves and the real estate board of NY (REBNY), so there is no bait and switch and the listings are updated every hour.

http://www.buyandsellmanhattan.com/search/

You will also want to read: How to Buy an Apaprtment in NY and Get the Best Interst Rate
http://www.buyandsellmanhattan.com/how-to-manhattan-apts/how…

It may also be important to know that I am a part time working appraiser with Vanderbilt Appraisal so I know the ins and outs of an appraisal report and make sure that my buyers do not overpay, and my sellers get spot on pricing and the benefit of having me know how to rebut a low appraisal.

Feel free to reach out to me at your convenience if I can be of service to you both.

Jennifer Chiongbian
SVP/ Associate Broker
Rutenberg Realty NYC
9172502284
If a condop is OK you get the best of both worlds - a coop price and some flexibility when it comes to renting. May I suggest 1175 York - both 14K and 9K are available for $1.195 with monthlies including taxes of about $2250. These apartments are over 1400 feet and get great light. The building has full dervice including a gym, sundeck and garage.
If you would like to see these please let me know.
Best
Fern Hammond
Halstead Property LLC
212 381 3270 cell 917 363 1992
fhammond@halstead.com
I want to know more about condops. I've read about them, but if you don't mind, what are the pros and special considerations? Thanks!
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
Hello Raffles,

Thank you for asking us suggestions. It will be my pleasure to help you out. It's very simple. You already qualify with a budget like that specially in the Lenox Hill/ Sutton place area. I'll be more than happy to email you a whole lot of listings whenever you are ready and we can take it from there. My email address is afernandes@manapts.com, "Believe me, it's going to be fun from here on".

Look forward to hearing from you.
Angela
Hello!

There are a significant amount of condos for sale in that price range in the area you are seeking with the requirements listed thus far. Do you know anything else that are Must-Haves?

Make sure you work with a buyer's broker who can help you find the perfect home and negotiate with the seller's broker on your behalf. Seller Brokers have fiduciary responsibility to the seller - so anything you say to them, they must disclose. If you work with an exclusive buyers broker, that person has fiduciary responsibility to you and only you.

I'd love to help you search for your home. I enjoy helping family.

Travis R. Old
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
CitySites Real Estate Group

3 W 57th Street
5th floor
New York, NY 10019

Text/Cell: (347) 601 - 9600
Direct: (212) 228 - 3882
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/travisrayold

Find me on Facebook to stay up to date on no-fee rentals and newly available luxury real estate or distinctive investment property.

Referral Bonus: Rent or Sell an apartment/home/building through me, then refer two friends and your next purchase or rental is commission free!
Dear Raffles,

I live in the area on the east 70's, and will be more then happy help you find your new home as your buyer broker,
feel free to visit my profile at
http://www.kwnyc.com/index.cfm?page=agents&agentName=Tuval-Mor
to know more about me,
I am looking forward to talking to you on the phone ,meeting and working for you,

Tuval Mor T&G Crew President
Certified Real Estate Advisor
Specialist in Co-Op & Condo Sales

"The best compliment you can give me is a referral"
________________________________________
Keller Williams | NYC
425 Park Ave 6th Floor | New York, NY 10022
O: 212.838.3700 | C: 646.342.1757 | F: 212.838.1956
Email: mor@kwnyc.com | Web: http://www.kwnyc.com
View My Website
Hi Raffles, am happy to help. Before offering suggestions, could you give a little more info as to whether you need doorman, ammenities, like high floor/low floor, have pets, prefer prewar/postwar, etc?
Charlie Summers, Bellmarc, 917-376-1648
Hi Raffles,

Several issues need to be taken into consideration when purchasing an apartment. Besides budget, important considerations are your financial conditions. If you have very good credit ratings and make sufficient income, then co-op's as well as condo's can be considered. Do you have any pets? What amenities do you desire?

Have you already been pre-qualified for a mortgage? What have you already seen & what have you liked?

Call me if you wish to discuss these important details and I will be happy to help you find your dream apartment.

Sincerely
Anoop Punjabi
Certified Real Estate Advisor
City Connections Realty, Inc.
W: 212-994-3247
C: 917-972-6009
apunjabi@ccrny.com
There are some great apartments in those neighborhoods, as well as in the rest of the city. Your budget seems doable, but do keep in mind that you also have to pay a mansion tax.

It's important to work with a buyers broker as well. Additionally you should discuss whether you want a coop or condo. Condos generally are priced higher.

If I can be of any assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best and good luck,

Ross Ellis
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Member of Real Estate Board of New York
212.317.7828 direct
646.472.7875 confidential fax
770 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10065
rellis@halstead.com
We will like a co-op - just because we should get more space with our budget. However the board has to be progressive i.e. not overly conservative since we are a gay couple.
Flag Wed May 2, 2012