Home Buying in Sacramento>Question Details

Sheryl, Renter in Lincoln, CA

We are Sr's, "1st time buyers" and looking in the Folsom, CA area. What is a safe & better priced area? Recommendations? Thanks!

Asked by Sheryl, Lincoln, CA Thu Feb 6, 2014

Answers

13
Hi Sheryl
A good place to find info about what it is like to live in a town is City-Data website. Due to fair housing laws real estate agents can't really comment on if a neighborhood is good, bad or otherwise. Crime stats can be found on most City/ County law enforcement websites.
I would suggest spending some time in Folsom, driving around, visit some open houses, walk around neighborhoods. Do you want to be near old town or prefer a newer area?
Start by meeting with a lender or two to see what your budget will be, taking into account some developments have HOA or Mello Roos. Once you have a budget you can see what neighborhoods have homes in your price range and then see if that is where you want to live. Sometimes you have to look in a different city to find what you want. Your real estate agent can set up searches for you based on your specific criteria.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Empire Ranch area - golf course community
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Seniors? Well I guess anyone over 50 could be considered a senior so that's a large bit of the population. Folsom is one of those towns that is well sought after, and that's with a price. You show that you're located in Lincoln....so the first question any realtor will ask you is the reason for any certain location. Even the best neighborhoods have crime- reviewing the crime statistics may be one part of your investigation.

You need a team to help you: a lender, to help you determine what amount you qualify for in terms of the purchase price, downpayment, etc, and a realtor to help you evaluate homes and find the right one for you. If you'd like some articles, or ideas on how to determine how to select your team, please contact me. The information will help you determine expertise as well as who 'fits you' the best. Another way is to look at recommendations. Trulia keeps recommendations on respondents that you can review.

Good luck and I hope you find your dream home soon.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Hi Sheryl, I completely understand your concerns. Realtors are barred from recommending specific neighborhoods to the public because that could be viewed as steering or being discriminatory. Your best option is to work with a Realtor to guide you in your home search especially if you are first time home buyers. Also, people have varying opinions on what they view as "safe" or properly priced. I also recommend checking https://www.crimereports.com for a comprehensive list of reported crimes in the areas that you are thinking about moving to. If you're not familiar with Folsom, drive the neighborhood during the day and at night. Before I bought my house I knocked on neighbor's doors asking them how long they have lived there and if they have any issues with the neighborhood. Neighbors will usually be very candid. I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions. I used to live in El Dorado Hills so I'm very familiar with the area. ~~ Jason Walter REALTOR® (lic #01923240) and Certified Public Accountant (CPA) - lic #103885; ph (916) 945-9243
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Hi Sheryl, My mother who is 78 and my grandmother who is 96 live in Folsom. They both love Folsom and feel safe at all times. You have many option when searching in Folsom. Senior communities as well as condos and smaller single story homes.
Depending on your price range and size of home there's a good chance you can find what you are looking for in Folsom. Just across the River is Orangevale which tends to have lower prices and it's only minutes away from Folsom.
As a first time home buyer you may have down payment assistant options that can be reviewed with you by a qualified lender. I use John Easterbrook with Vitek Mortgage. He has taken care of many of my 1st time home buyers. His team is great!!!
To save you a lot of driving around I am able to set you up on a Home Finder Search that will send you an email when a home matching your criteria comes on the market. It allows you to see pictures of the home to see if it's something you may want to go visit in person. I am happy to help you with that.
I hope this helped some. Call me if you have any questions. 916-251-6127
Michelle Harrington
CALBRE#01924769
8814 Madison Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
916-251-6127
http://www.michelle-harrington.com
mharrington@golyon.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
There could be an area that you might not be interested in. After an in depth conversation, I am more then happy to give my opinion. :) I have been in the EDH/Folsom area since 1997. East Bay Transplant...

Michelle Thompson
Lyon Exec. Assoc., EDH
EDCAR Top Producer, sfr
916-804-2981
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Hi Sheryl. Being a first time home buyer you must be very excited! There are some great areas in Folsom Fair Oaks Carmichael as well as Rose ville. I would be happy to sit down with you and find out what your needs list, price range,ammenities are to help you locate that "special" home. Feel free to call me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Oh, and one more thing Sheyl, The Rentz Team is located both in Sacramento CA, as well as OK. So forgive any confusion with the OK reference by our picture. We operate two teams and our Sacramento area agents are some of the finest!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 6, 2014
Hi Sheryl, as stated by others, the first step is to get pre-approved. At the same time, or immediately after you should identify a realtor that you are comfortable with. The lender and agent should work in tandem to be able to answer these types of questions and any others for you. Then it's nice to use a forum such as this to get confirmation from the masses of answers you get from them! If you would like to get started on the pre-approval or would like a realtor referrral from me, please see all my contact info in my tagline below.
I can do a full underwriting approval ahead of time if need be and I also offer credit score improvement programs for free while we work on your mortgage.

If you like my answer above, consider clicking on a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer”

Robert L. Hanson
Gladewater National Bank
First Time Homebuyer Specialist

Direct: 240-752-7549 Cell: 301-651-7822
Email: robertlh66@verizon.net
NMLS# 695929
Flag Thu Feb 6, 2014
HI Cheryl,

I am holding one of our listings open in Folsom this Sat from 12-3. It would be GREAT if you had the opportunity to come check it out. I will also have a lending partner there with me to assist you with any finance questions you may have. It is a lovely home in Old Folsom near the historic district. You can go to http://www.search916.com and look up listing number 13071023 or call me direct at anytime at 916-995-3678. I hope to see you there.
Hey Sheryl,

I hope this email finds you doing well. Folsom is a terrific city that is hard to beat when is comes to safety. It has a great reputation for quality of life in almost every way. That being said, that comes with a price and Folsom is generally a higher dollar location. Of coarse, less money doesn't always mean better price.

It would be helpful to know why you are looking in Folsom. What do like about the area and what do you view would be the benefits of living there? Then, if prices are to high, see if you can find similar aspects in other neighborhoods, Orangevale, Fair Oaks, certain parts of El Dorado Hills that appeal to you.

What would be most helpful is to sit down with a REALTOR and discuss your desires, needs, and concerns. Our team conducts many consultations that help buyers and sellers discover answers to their questions and develop a plan to help you achieve your goals.

Let us know if we can assist you further in any way!

Mark
I would be more than happy to help you. I am guessing that you have not gotten a real estate agent or been pre-approved for a purchase loan? Those are the first two steps in the buying process. They make everything else so much easier.

Alex Greer Loan Officer NMLS #1056079 http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com 408-352-5147 AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
HI Cheryl,

Flag Thu Feb 6, 2014