Question Details

Dianne Ward, Home Buyer in Wms. Lake Canada

We are Canadians and are looking at buying in Maricopa. We know nothing about the area and will make a

Asked by Dianne Ward, Wms. Lake Canada Tue May 13, 2008

trip(s) there to check things out when we have more info and specific home choices. We would like to know what a private water co. is and is this safe. Also what about flood planes. Is this information readily available ? Is there any shortage of water in the area. Are private homes on water meters and how expensive is this.

Answers

1
Dianne,

Good questions and hopefully I can assist to shed some light on your questions. Maricopa was a small old town until a few large home builders went in and developed some large master planned communities. When the Arizona market took off in the early decade, many buyers rushed out and snatched up inexpensive homes. As values climbed steadily over a 5-6 year period, the area became a hot spot for investors and many people hoping to cash in on quick appreciation.

The market has since adjusted back to prices 3 years ago. There are many bank owned and short-sale opportunities that abound. A buyer in Maricopa today is a very good thing.

I can gladly email you a list of all the available homes within your desired price range. There are many.

The water company is regulated by the state and has to meet state and federal guidelines. When a developer applies for a public report/subdivision report from the state, he/she must demonstrate proof a at least a 99 year supply of water. The water meets state and federal guidelines for safety so no problems with the water in Maricopa.

Flood plains are present in some areas. If you are looking at a home within one, flood insurance is typically required. Most subdivisions have been engineered so flooding is miminized by proper drainage and retention basins. The State of Arizona has information available.

We are fortunate to have 5 lakes north east of the Phoenix area that provide surface runoff from the mountains, so we are not reliant on well water only. I have been selling in the area for the last 22 years and have lived here since 1980 and have never witnessed a water rationing to date. Keep in mind, Arizona has been in a normal drout cycle for the past 8 years and we have good supplies coming in from the mountain reservors.

Every home is served by a water meter. Prices for water, which typically include sewage discharge fees, and sometimes garbabe collection will run $35-60 a month.

Hope this helps. We love Canadians and look forward to your arrival.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Successfully,
Randy Courtney
Broker/Owner, CRS
Courtney Valleywide Properties