Lisa Johnson…, Real Estate Pro in Andover, MA

We all know Andover schools are excellent but there are some clear favorites. How big of an impact does elementary/middle school have on your choice?

Asked by Lisa Johnson Sevajian, Andover, MA Tue Jul 9, 2013

I am working out better ways to help home seekers understand the subtle differences between the elementary and middle schools in town and would love to know more about what you feel pulls you to one or another. We all know the schools in town are excellent but people clearly have favorites. Does this impact your buying decision?

Answers

3
It should. Close bus stop in elementary .one house away... Walk a block to middle school...then benefit a 1.1 mile trip to the high school..means bus ability for 2 years. The center of town is the way to go.. So many perks too much to mention here....My girls had a GREAT life near town taught and loved at Bancroft...Doherty..and AHS...enjoyed all town assistance and activities...Fast forward...Daughter #1 in med school..Daughter#2 last year of college with Clear channel and MTV affiliations and internships..many strong and safe job possibilities...The neighborhood is warm kind and of the 60's mindset....I know I should let go of my house to new families for their kids sake BUT IT is so perfect I feel I should save it for my grandchildren. If you can afford to buy "in town" your children are truly brought up in a village, great schools,neighbors,not isolated...no crazy loopy rides home when they get their license at 16 yrs. driving home to their "OUT" country big homes. BANCROFT>>>>DOHERTY>>>HIGH SCHOOL (or phillips).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 3, 2013
With two fairly new elementary schools, and one middle school,(High Plain, Wood Hill, and Bancroft) in town I think buyers will be considering this when purchasing a home. The differences inside these schools is incredible. Also, parent participation within schools should be a consideration. For instance, at High Plain, the PTO was responsible with outfitting every classroom with smartboards within two years. Elementary and especially middle schools are an important consideration since many families in Andover apply for private high schools, and want their children to be prepared.
Flag Sat Nov 9, 2013
Tastes and opinions are all different.
Scores and reviews are helpful, but I believe that the education experience is a good as the parents help their students make it.
I tell people:
Drive around and meet people.
Ask those who live there.
Interview the school professionals, coaches, etc.
Park in a neighborhood and see who notices you sitting there in your car.
Walk and talk.

Of course choosing a local real estate pro can help you save a lot of time.
(Not me, I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro when you are ready.)

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 15, 2013
Lisa- I find that it varies from family to family for various reasons. I have clients that want South School or Sanborn and others that want High Plain.