Home Buying in Flemington>Question Details

JM, Other/Just Looking in Clark, NJ

Water Type Well and Septic System in Flemington, NJ

Asked by JM, Clark, NJ Mon Oct 8, 2012

HI, Need info please on these two systems, how often is done/maintained, average monthly bills. There is a pool on the property would the Septic System fill faster when pool is drained? Dont have a clue on these system, thanks!

Answers

5
Ellie’s answer
We reccomend cleaning a septic tank every 3 years for the average household. Septic systems are delicate, becareful not to dispose grease down drains and use minimal amounts of household cleaners.
When draining your pool, do not allow the water to go anywhere near your septic system. Otherwise it will "flood out" the system.
I have well and septic. Dump out your septic tank every 3 years by a professional. Bring a flashlight to inspect the inside of the tank and baffles. Properly maintained septic system should last a lifetime. As for the well, mine is 220 ft down. The pump is at the bottom of the well. Provides clean cold water. Most of area the water is hard. Which means water passed thru limestone on its down to the aquafilers. Hard water has calcium in it. If you have too much you may consider a water softner (salt).
A friend lived in the Whitehouse Station area of Readington. His water was orange. As it contained rusty iron.
Flag Fri Jan 16, 2015
I don't have experience with a well type system but I had lived with a septic tank before. Every three years looking into the system it what I would recommend. Get a professional and because if something goes wrong they can see it right away.
Michael Foster http://www.knoxpumpingservice.com/en/services.html
Have had a Septic System, I dispute the notion that it must be emptied every 2-3 years:

This tank is designed to overflow into the leech lines; this is how it maintains it's level. The liquid overflows out as the bio-chemical process is taking place. You should be adding either RIDEX or common YEAST (cheaper) every year to help the process take place.
Emptying out the tank is removing the solid/heavy stuff that will accumulate in the bottom. Some of this. over the course of time, is breaking down.
It would be a waste of money to empty it too often.

When you see the ground above saturated and stinky; that means that the whole system is full and the ground cannot absorb any more.

When are you draining the pool water; surely not into the Septic tank or the ground around the tank? That would be utterly ridiculous!

From what I've seen, every 4-5 years is sufficient for a small family; but you should get other opinions. It would depend upon how much water you put on the ground around the leech lines; rain and sprinkling, so that it doesn't accumulate in the leech lines.

Good luck and may God bless
septic tank should be emptied every 2-3 years depending upon your use. some things can damage systems. You will have to monitor what goes down the drain. I have a pool and septic on one of my properties in neighboring Hopewell Twp. there should be no relationship between the two. if there is you have serious health issues. The cost of operation and maintenance will depend upon the type system, its age and condition. If you have a raised bed system which is becoming more common than not, there is the additional cost of pumping that goes on. These systems have a settling tank and pump tank for the liquid waste only. If your solids get into pump tank a then into field you could be looking at expensive jet cleaning or replacement of field. (My septic system was put in about 10 years ago at cost of nearly $44,000 for a 6 bed room capacity). As to the well, the cost is for electric to operate as well as any treatments that may be needed. Again this will vary depending upon what is needed such as treatment for arsenic, coloform lead ...Feel free to email me directly with questions, though no health official I have had to replace well, septic,clean up oil leak on my own sites.