Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

ksk339, Home Buyer in Cupertino, CA

Warm Springs purchase concern

Asked by ksk339, Cupertino, CA Mon Sep 30, 2013

Hi
I am a first home buyer and am looking at warm springs as one of the affordable options with good schools. I have read online that some areas of warm springs/or almost all of it has a strong smell/odor from the dixon dumping yard in milpitas. I am concerned about how this will effect the quality of life and also the resale potential later for houses in warm springs. Also are there any areas in warm springs that are not affected by this smell?

Answers

11
You might want to spend some time in Warm Springs.
Might be noticeable in the most southwestern part, although I never did. You can smell it in Milpitas.

So far it has not effected to resale or the quality of life. Great location and great school.

Talk to the people who live there and see what they say.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 30, 2013
some are initially sensitive to the sewage odor, many are used to it.
Also it has to do with meteorological change how and where the wind is blowing and whether you wish to close the windows...,

Price resale value? I am not aware of the differences.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 7, 2014
Hi ksk339,

"I have read online that some areas of warm springs/or almost all of it has a strong smell/odor from the Dixon dumping yard in Milpitas."

Primarily during the summer months, there is a smell (assumedly methane) from the Dixon Landing landfill when the right combination of heat, wind direction and one's proximity combine. I have personally come across this while viewing the newer attached housing bounded by Kato Road and Warm Springs Blvd.; however, I have never personally considered it to be overpowering.

"I am concerned about how this will effect the quality of life and also the resale potential later for houses in warm springs."

Given the seasonality and conditions required to cause the smell, I would rate this as a minor quality of life concern; as opposed to being next to a busy street 365 days a year, or perhaps a neighborhood being neglected by its owners or renters.

"Also are there any areas in warm springs that are not affected by this smell?"

Go West, young man! Actually, the further you go South on Warm Springs Blvd the less likely you come in contact with the issue.

-Steve
HI Ksk339, I have lived close to warm springs Blvd and Warren Ave. I never noticed any smell. I have represented some clients who bought homes in that area also. No one complained. still it is good idea to ask the neighbors about the smell. it is a great location, easy access to 680, 880 and 237 also. All three ( elementary, middle and high ) schools are good and bart also coming, so your resale value also would be good. Good luck in your search.

Syed Ahmed
(510) 304-7190
Hi ksk

you may smell few parts of warm spring or close dixon area. but i don't think smell has any effect on a value.
Hi, I lived in Warm Springs one street off Scott Creek for 16 years. I do smell the odor but rarely.
I believe most area of Warm Springs will not smell the odor except area closer to Milpitas.
Come by and spend some time in different section of Warm Springs.
Prices of homes here has gone up over the years by buyers who have no issues with the resale value
or quality of life. Let me know if I can be of service. manny@mannytan.com
Hello, I wanted to let you know that I actually live in the southernmost part of Fremont (one street off of Scotts Creek) and rarely do I or if ever noticed that smell. I've lived in same neighborhood for over 20 years. As far as the resale value, the prices for warm springs are hitting and are over a million dollars now, plus with the Bart coming thru will raise the value of our homes. It's a really great neighborhood to be living in and the schools are excellent as well. Convenience of grocery stores, highway 680, 880, 237 are great as well. I've listed and sold many homes in the neighborhood over the years and i live here so please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions at 510-676-6224 or email me at Rimmy.Sandhu@Bhghome.com.
I've never smelled it while in Warm Springs - I HAVE smelled it in Milpitas. There is no such thing as a perfect neighborhood - one may have an occasional odor, another trains noises, yet another will have planes overhead or traffic noise. When you live in a metropolitan area such as the Bay Area, it is impossible to be away from all issues.
It seems that warm springs isn't as affected by the smell as milpitas. Best thing to do would be to go down there on a windy day and get a first hand experience of it. Also, a real estate agent would be able to answer most questions like this for you. Do you have one already? Have you been pre-approved for a purchase loan? These are the first two sets in the buying process.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Hi, The schools are great as you said. The smell related to the quality of life? That depends on you and your family. What you feel is tolerable and what is not. I live in south fremont and I can occasionally smell the dump and while it is not pleasant it is also not very often and has not affected my quality of life. The airflow is such that 95% of the time you cannot smell it. As for the resale potential of the home, the dump has been there for as long as I can remember and the homes in Warm springs have always sold for more than the homes in my neighborhood by automall. So no I don't think it will affect the resale value of the homes in warm springs......Hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if I can answer any other questions....Dawn
Web Reference: http://DawnRivera4Homes.com
ksk339,

My wife and I lived in the southernmost part of Fremont (one street off of Scotts Creek) and rarely, if ever noticed that smell. I know you can smell it more as you get beyond Dixon Landing headed south on 880, but that never came into play in all our time there.
We loved it there and only moved when we had a chance to get into the Niles area.
The schools are very good, the access points to 680, 880 and 237 were great as well.

Hope that helps -- best of luck on your new home search!