Tina, Other/Just Looking in Bloomfield, MI

Want to visit home while waiting for closing date.

Asked by Tina, Bloomfield, MI Thu Jul 19, 2012

I have found a home that I liked, offer has been accepted, have a closing date, have done inspection, and now I waiting on the under writers to get back to my mortgage broker. In the mean time, is it possible for me to go and visit my possible future home? It is an REO and is vacant, I'm just concerned about it.

Answers

6
It should be reasonable for you to make arrangements with the party that was authorized to accept your offer, to get permission to enter and inspect that property at least every week to be sure that there have been no damages, break-ins, etc. to it prior to your closing - especially because it is vacant. Good Luck! Tim and Linda Keohane, Cabela's Trophy Property Brokers at Great Lakes and Land Real Estate Company 07-19-12
Sometimes listing agents don't want anyone back in the house until just before close. But ask your agent to assist you and I imagine he or she will take you back through.

Best of luck with your purchase.
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Hi Tina,

That's a great question! Your contract should address the issue for you, however. Check with your buyer's agent (you did use a buyer's agent, right?) for the answer. Unless otherwise specified, a buyer usually has no right to gain access to a property between the initial home inspection period and 24 to 48 hour prior to close of sale final walk-through (hopefully your contract has that in it). It's the same case whether it's a private or REO sale. Have your agent request access for you and it might be granted. Good luck with the underwriting process and eventual closing!
Tina-
Just tell your agent you want to visit your future home and ask her or him to show it to you again. There is no reason you can't do that, particularly if the home is vacant. ANd of course you are concerned- it si your new home and it is just sitting there vacant - it is completely natural to be concerned about it and I bet if you ask your agent they will schedule up a showing lickety split adn take you over to spend some quality time with your new home
BTW- Congratulations and welcome to homeownership- you have made a great decision and a great investment in your future!
Cheers-
Carole & Greg
Hi Tina,

Ask your agent to help you with this. I have often been able to gain approval for my buyers to allow them another viewing of the house during the waiting period. Your request is not that unusual.

Good luck with that underwriting process....enjoy your new home!

Shirley
If it's vacant why would it be a problem. I always get buyers that want to get in to measure and take pictures. It would be amazed if it is a problem. Just tell your agent you want to go and they will get you in. No problem, very common!