Home Buying in Lincoln>Question Details

Bkekruby, Home Buyer in Lincoln, CA

Want to move from Philadelphia PA to Lincoln Ca, before we move, we're planing to buy a townhouse or condo, thrue FHA loan while working Philadelphia.

Asked by Bkekruby, Lincoln, CA Sun Feb 24, 2013

Can we get a loan at FHA loan to buy at Lincoln Ca, while working in Philadelphia,if yes how much our down payment?

Help the community by answering this question:


Lincoln CA just got 1mill in downpayment assistance funds so take a look into that!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 29, 2013
FHA loans require 3 1/2 % down payment.
Please call me at 916-847-1593 so I may better help you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2013

The income source you are using to qualify for the mortgage needs to be maintained after you purchase the home. With income sources of social security, disability income, etc. that usually poses no problem. However when you are employed or self-employed, and are moving to a new area, that creates additional requirements such as confirming the employment will continue after you have moved to the new area.

Is the company you are working for in Philadelphia going to transfer your job to the Sacramento area, or are you allowed to work remotely? If so, then all you would need is a letter from your HR department documenting the job transfer or stating your job position allows you to work remotely.

If neither of those apply, and your plan is to begin work within a different company, then you will need employment in the Sacramento area before you could use FHA financing to purchase a home in Lincoln. The period of time you are employed with the new employer doesn't need to be long, along with the employment contract you would just need to have received one paystub before you close on the loan. So you could get pre-approved with the job offer, but would need to produce those other two documents prior to closing.

If you can't make the employment situation work out, then another option is if a family member is willing to co-sign the mortgage for you, they would need to make enough income to qualify for your debts + their debts, including their own housing payment (so someone who is fairly wealthy and/or who has very minimal expenses).

FHA financing requires a 3.5% down payment, however California has down payment assistance programs which provide you funds to help meet the down payment requirement.

CHDAP http://www.calhfa.ca.gov/homebuyer/programs/chdap.htm - up to 3% of the sales price.
CHF Platinum http://www.chfloan.org/Programs/Platinum/CHF_Platinum.html - up to 3% of the 1st mortgage loan amount.
CHF Access http://www.chfloan.org/Programs/ACCESS/CHF_ACCESS.html - up to 3% of the sales price.

CHDAP is arguably the best assistance program of the 3, as the CHF programs have higher interest rates and the CHDAP assistance program has deferred interest. All 3 of these programs programs have income limits though, meaning your cannot exceed the limit for the area you are buying in. These assistance programs also need a little more time to process, so conceivably it could make your offer less attractive to a seller. If there is family that will gift or loan you the down payment funds, or if you can borrow from your 401k, those would allow you more flexibility in choosing a lender as well as making your offer more attractive for a seller to accept.

Shane Milne | Lending in all 50 states | NMLS #81195
shane@thebesthomeloans | 949-273-4161 direct
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2013

At this time there are no FHA approved condo complexes in Lincoln. I work in this area and the only exception for FHA financing on a condo is if it is a HUD owned foreclosed condo. Even if you lived here you would likely need to purchase a condo with at least 5% down. You can purchase from Philadelphia with conventional financing, but you will need to speak with a lender as far as what your required down payment might be. If it is considered a "second property" your required down payment might be higher. I have a great lender I can recommend if you need assistance.

Jesse Coffey
Keller Williams Realty
548 Gibson Dr. Ste 200
Roseville, Ca. 95678
Ph (916) 872-7775
Fax (916) 960-4594
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2013
I can refer you to a loan officer and he might give you a better suggestion. It all depends if it will be your primary residence. Are you transferring to Lincoln for job related?

Email me or call me
Coldwell Banker Sun Ridge
Roseville, CA 95747
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer