Ms. Norton, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Want to live in fixer upper home, with private 1/4 acre lot, all under $300K...Any hope? Any suggestions of neighborhoods or tips? Overlooking areas?

Asked by Ms. Norton, Atlanta, GA Thu Jun 30, 2011

I currently live in Garden Hills and although I ADORE the charm in the homes, the through traffic is a bit busy. I also don't like how close the homes are to each other ( just like in Peachtree Hills, Peachtree Heights, & most in town neighborhoods etc). I am looking for something with a bit more privacy, with few neighbors, without large square footage (dream home would be 1500sq.ft and less), fixer upper (because I'm going to want to change a lot), AND under 300k!

I've been looking for a few months & it seems like you can get the lot but a HUGE sq. ft or you get the small sq.ft & no lot with tons of neighbors. I don't mind the lack of charm b/c of my price range. I prefer Buckhead & bits of Decatur like Historic Druid HIlls.

Ideally my home would be a small version of the homes on Arden, Habersham, Mount Paran, Northside, Chastain Park, East Chastain Park, Haynes Manor, Kingswood, & lots of North Buckhead. The privacy, lot size, & safety of these neighborhoods are IDEAL!

Answers

17
Ms Norton,

My question is: How have you been searching for the properties you have considered to date. Were you using a public website. Those sites are not updated hourly or daily as a real estate agent's sites are updated.

If you furnish your e-maill address, i can identify all the properties that meet your desires and hopefully shorten your path to success. I was a prperty insurance adjuster out of college and understand cost and renovation quite well. I have 17.75 years of experience and work on a friendly and no hassle basis.

Let me hear from you and I will send properties for you can consider. You can drive by if you wish and then call me to show you the ones you selected or I can meet you and show you the homes. You can see my resume under "About Me" on my website at http://www.atlantaforeclosuresandreos.com.

Best of Luck!

Ken Guillen, Associate Broker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 30, 2011
Hi Ms Norton,
Did you ever drive around the clifton corridor , Emory area? Just curious if you drove by my listing and are interested in the area.
Ok great I have a listing at 997 Burton, renovated interior under 300,000. Walking distance to Emory. There are a few other listings in the area. I live in the neighborhood. Let me know if you have interest
@Veronica You know, I actually didn't think about this neighborhood. I will drive around there today to see just how private the lots are. I want frontage and not to be able to notice my neighbors and not even have that many neighbors because I want a pretty private street. Emory Toco Hills sounds familiar. I like the Emory area, really nice homes, tons of character, just haven't noticed private lots.

Thanks for the heads up. I will let you know what I think.
I think a have the perfect area for you. Its close to Virginia Highland but in Dekalb county. The Emory toco hills area. Most of the lots are 3/4 of an acre and private. Safety is good and the convenience of being close to shopping, expressways and jobs is excellent.
I could be way off but I found some interesting results. If you will contact me with an email address I will send you some listings. I can be reached at 678-427-8053 or email chrisbouchard@bellsouth.net.
Thanks, Ms Norton. Yes, I know what you mean. I recently spent quite a bit of time with a foreign businessman who wanted to rent in the Warren Jackson, Morris Brandon, Garden Hills or Sarah Smith Elementary School Districts. Those homes are quite large. It does give me some ideas and I'm curious enough to do some searching to see what I can find.
@Chris I actually meant to type 1/4 acre+. Yes, they do contradict I would much rather have more than 1/4 acre, but that was my bare minimum.

Smyrna is still not an option. Buckhead has those ranch homes in for under 300K with OK land, I just wanted more privacy like the Arden, Harbersham, etc. with a small home. The land doesn't seem to be the problem in Buckhead for my price range, it's the home size, they get quite large on a large lot.
Ms. Norton:

Perhaps I'm missing something because it seems to me that 1/4 acre is a very small lot. It seems like "private" and 1/4 acre with few neighbors is a contradiction. The reason I suggested Smyrna is because the homes that are less than 1500 sq feet are the older 1960's & 1950's homes built on larger lots. The area around the Smyrna Village is quite nice and varies in style by neighborhood.
Ms. Norton:

Ms. Norton,

I understand about your current searching frustations and how you would like to change. I know I can help you find that perfect home . I specialize in Foreclosures and Fixer Uppers. There is Excellent value in the marketplace, as you know.

I would definitely enjoy the opportunity to work with you in finding your perfect home.

If you would like to further discuss working with me you can get my contact information off my profile on Trulia.com

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Have a Good Day,

Rick Payne Keller Williams Realty
I understand but I would be happy to send you a link to the listing when it goes active next week. It is a quiet side street and the lot is very nice- about 1/4 acre or a little less. It is a street between Sycamore Rd. and Winn Way. Also, I work primarily as a buyer's agent and my company pays buyers a 1% rebate if you work with me to to purchase any home on the market. We sincerely believe that buyers do so much of the work to find a home now that you deserve a part of the commission that the seller is paying. You can read more about our unique and consumer oriented program on http://www.duffyrealtyofatlanta.com and also read some of my client testimonials.

Caroline Gamma-Duffy Realty 404-668-9167
gamma@charter.net
@Caroline I don't mind Downtown Decatur, in fact I like it better than 99% of the intown Atlanta areas, BUT it's not private enough. The simple fact that it's a "quick bike ride" away from anything probably means I have too many neighbors for my taste.

Now if there is a more private part of Decatur that I am unaware of like Arden, Habersham, Paces, etc. then please let me know! I am very interested.
@Ken I have been looking on Trulia actually. I would love the help if you can find me EXACTLY what I am looking for. Other agents just want to show me things out of my price range or convince me...I'm too young to want all the yard I want. It's ridiculous.

@Scott Renting is NOT AN OPTION. Also, I don't have to sell my place. It will sit here empty. My purchasing power is well beyond 300k and I'm paying for the home in cash, although I would finance to be able to take advantage of all the DP programs available and pay it off within one month or two. This is the reason I want what I want. Paying for this home in cash means I want this home for appx. 15 years+.

@Chris Smyrna is not only NOT AN OPTION, it's the complete opposite of what I want. It's too burby and the homes are template and don't have the high-end, private, exclusiveness I'm looking for. Smryna is NOTHING like the areas I described.
Select one agent you can trust to find what you are looking for.

Also, do you need to sell before you buy? Check with your lender to confirm your abilities/limitations. If you need to sell, it is best to start that process now and start looking for a replacement home after you get an offer on your Garden Hills home.

I know, I know...you want to know where you'll move to before you sell... Unfortunately, a Seller will not be enamored with your offer, no matter the price, if your offer contains a Contingency for the sale of your Garden Hills home. So, start that process first. Wrose case scenario - you sell Garden Hills and cannot find a replacement right off the bat and you move into a rental... I did just that with a wife and a 7 year old and a 9 year old. Turned out to be a great 13 months while we totally renovated our 'replacement home'...No yard work, more time with the kids, etc.

Take care.
If you wanted to consider Smyrna, I could find you something for half that price.
Ms. Norton,
Funny you should ask, I am putting a home on the market officially next week for a friend of mine in a really good area of Decatur on Poplar Lane Way . It is short bike ride to downtown Decatur and walk to Dekalb Medical center but it is a very quiet friendly street. It needs a LOT of work and is ready for renovation besides the kitchen which is about 80% totally renovated recently . It is a 2 bedroom/1bath , about 1000 sq. ft. but plenty of room on the really nice lot to do an addition. You can absolutely make it fit your price range with renovations. Call me if this sounds interesting to you.