Home Buying in Petaluma>Question Details

Anna Cota, Home Buyer in Petaluma, CA

Want to know how to effectively compare lenders to get the best rate? Do you even need to compare or are rates so similar in Petaluma, Ca?

Asked by Anna Cota, Petaluma, CA Thu Apr 11, 2013

Want to find the lowest interest rate for Petaluma, Ca future purchase. Are rates different enough with lenders to even bother and how in the hek does one go about that kind of search? Online is just getting me "online lenders".
Also if you put 20% down can't that eliminate PMI? Is that even possible with a lender? I have a lender now- and truly wonder if I have the best rate...seems high!

Answers

10
When shopping for a mortgage, you really should be shopping for a professional. People frequently get rate obsessive and end up hiring the best story, but get a big surprise when it's time for the mortgage company to deliver. you hear mortgage "horror stories" everywhere, and this is because the consumer forgot to find a qualified professional--they instead bought a "lowest rate" story--one that was probably more fiction than real.

Here's a good rule of thumb--walk into a local large bank and check their rate boards. Next, go to bankrate.com and check the national rate on a 30 year fixed. Now you will have a good feel for what is fair. Now start looking for a loan originator with a good reputation. Yelp is a good place to start. Call a few and see how they compare to the national rate, and to each other. Now you are making an informed decision. You will find that the independent mortgage broker (that works on the wholesale side) will always beat the national average rate, and will be far more experienced than individuals working at a local bank.

You wouldn't hire the lowest priced cardiologist if you needed surgery--the same applies to what will likely be the largest financial transaction you will ever make. Find a seasoned professional...
Hi Anna,

Low rates are great, but working with a trusted 'local' mortgage professional is best. Rates that are so low, may be too good to be true. Online lenders may have low rates, but lack accountability. I am local to Petaluma, and not only am I accountable to you, but to the local Real Estate Agent you work with as I am always looking for future referrals and must do a good job.

By putting down 20% there will be no need for PMI, unless you are in an FHA loan.

Good Luck
Steve Guenza
Pinnacle Capital Mortgage
MLS 266421
707-765-4453
Hello Anna, are you still in the market, locked a low rate, closed? Keep us posted. The rates have been a roller coaster ride the last few months. Yes you can put 20% down to eliminate PMI. We are a mortgage brokerage and are approved with about 25 banks as they all have different purpose so that we can offer ALL loan programs out there. It only takes a few dozen questions to qualify you in minutes and go over your options, rates and terms. I select the bank to fit your particular credit profile, debt to income ratios, fico scores and how much you want to invest into the down payment and closing costs and compare the best rates to offer.

I specialize in Over and Under 640 Fico Score Loans and offer credit repair at no cost to raise fico scores to qualify for programs, rates and terms as necessary. The rates vary by fico scores in increments of 20's for the most part. Of course the higher your fico scores are the better the rates are available to you. Every bank may have slight differences in their rates formulas. You may consider the loan program that achieves your goals. Here are some links to study and consider that I offer.

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/Conventional.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/FHA.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/JumboLoan.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/CHDAPLoans.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/HalfPercentDown.aspx

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/ContactSheryl.aspx
Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker - Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
Credit Repair At No Cost
ALL Loan Programs Available
20+ Years Experience
DRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
760-486-4225
9am till 7pm 7 days
http://youtu.be/MrygA2_8fAY

If my response was helpful, consider clicking thumbs up or Best Answer!
Hi April:

I saw this question and your other question and wanted to address both. I am both a Realtor and Mortgage broker - a kind of hybrid if you will, and a one stop place to help people with real estate.

On your question about safe places, there are a lot of areas that are great in San Diego. Each has its own unique appeal and you really need to come down to visit and get a feel for the different communities to help you zero in on an area. I nor any real estate agent can tell you where you should live - only you know you and what you like. We can help you find it and give access to various options and provide ideas and thoughts, but what an agent prefers may not be the same as what you prefer and it is wrong for any agent to impose their preferences on buyers like that.

As far as lending... its a game of smoke and mirrors. The trick is to find someone you can trust. There is no guaranteed way to do that.

What I can tell you is that because I can help you in both purchase and lending, I can also help cover costs that others will not cover, saving you money. I want the best for my clients and do everything I can to get them the absolute lowest rates i can.

I am not interested in selling property or mortgage products. My interest is that of a consultant or advocate who gets you to exactly the answers to the questions you are asking...which means I tell you like it is and provide you with a wide array of ideas, insights and options so that you can make informed decisions on what is best for you. In the end, your best interest is what is most important.

If you are serious about coming to San Diego, I encourage you to call or email and I can provide more specific information and assistance. You have a lot to gain and nothing to lose by calling. I am happy to tell you if I can beat your lender's rate, which I expect I can, because I always do.

Talk soon.

BeachBrokerBill
DRE 01775528 l NMLS 980076
(760) 525-8698
bill@coastalhomesofsandiego.com
Hi April,

Even if you're working with someone already, please feel free to join our next (free) homebuyer webinar on May 7th. I do cover a lot about how to get the best rate and terms and I also address the options for less than 20% down. The whole thing takes just a half hour and I promise there is no sales bias.

Contrary to what some comments might suggest, you have to go through the whole process of choosing the best fit for you. Nobody can save you from it. And there's no magic pill either. Just because someone works for a big bank or small broker doesn't make them better than the opposite. And just because someone is local doesn't mean he/she is going to get you a great rate and speak your language. But can you get everything you need if you ask the right questions and do your research? Absolutely yes. And you should make that effort.

I hope to help in that regard.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
415-367-5959
Rates are definitely different, as lenders have different charges and rebates which affect the rates. Contact me if you would like information for the lender I use.
Hi April,

Agents typically have their "go to" Lenders which will be a safe bet; however, you should still understand the process.

To this last point, here's are a few links to help you understand the process and how rates are determined:

True Pre-Approval
http://www.Steven-Anthony.com/GettingStarted

Financing sources:

"Retail Banks vs. Mortgage Broker/Bankers" http://tinyurl.com/6qln6nd

http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/RateShopping-DoItRight.pdf

http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/SAR-HowMortgageRatesAreDeterm…

-Steve
The best way to find a great lender is by introduction through your agent/broker, or at least it should be.

Over the years we have dealt with tons of lender reps and mortgage brokers, and we don't use one twice unless they are the best. We have fine tuned our list to three and refer all our clients to them. This saves them the hassle of trying to figure out who to use and assures them they'll get the VIP treatment because we send so much business their way.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
License# 01384425
With 20% down you do not need pmi. Online lenders are dicey. You need a Sonoma county lender that realtors know. You are in a very competitive market and who you lender is can help or hurt you. Don't just compare by rate. You need to compare rate and the lenders fees On my website there is a free booklet that answers a ton of home buyer questions.
Do not try and shoot a moving target instead get with the best lender using my top 25 Questions.

Going shopping for a mortgage. It may seem backwards to shop for a mortgage before you shop for the house, but there are several reasons for doing this. Shopping for a mortgage will also help if you can get “pre-approved” for the amount you’d like to borrow. This means the lender has looked over your credit and financial statement and agreed to lend you the money. Sellers like pre-approved buyers because there’s less risk the deal won’t go through. First, you’ll find out how much you can borrow, which has a lot to do with how much house you can buy.

Whether you’re, buying, or building your dream home, you have a lot riding on your decision. Market conditions and mortgage programs change frequently, and I welcome the opportunity to serve your needs with quick and accurate real estate financing advice. I have the expertise and knowledge to help you determine the absolute best loan program to meet your objectives. Get my top 25 Questions for FREE that you should be asking your lender before you choose them to secure a mortgage. If you are already working with a lender, don’t be shy to give me call so I can price the same mortgage for you with less cost. What do you have to loose but your money?

Ensuring that you make the right choice for you and your family is my ultimate goal. And I am committed to providing my customers with mortgage services that exceed their expectations.. As always, you may contact me anytime by phone, fax or email for personalized service and expert advice.

I look forward to working with you!
Lowell Sterling
Mortgage Banker
NMLS# 968898
LSterling@englending.com
16800 N. Dallas Pkwy, Suite 290 | Dallas, TX 75248
Office: 972-646-2411 | Cell: 214-418-7022 | Fax: 214-614-4637
Bank of England /dba ENG Lending: NMLS# 418481