Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

preethi.gowt…, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

Want to buy a house near Amtrak train track in Niles, Fremont. Will the noise or vibrations bother too much?

Asked by preethi.gowtham, Oakland, CA Tue Jan 29, 2013

The train track for Amtrak is right behind the backyard of the house. The frequency of this train is low - 3 times in the morning and 3 in the evening. There is no station near by and the house has 3-pane windows on the side which is next to the track. Anybody living near Amtrak train track and have any feedback on the noise, any shaking of the house when the train passes by?

Answers

4
The Medford Team’s answer
That depends on you. There are thousands of homes in the Fremont area that back to railroad tracks – including some very expensive ones. They are all occupied – mostly by very happy homeowners who don’t notice the trains after the second week or so.

Having said that, some people tell me right up front that they don’t want me to show them a house near railroad tracks. Or the freeway. Or near high tension wires. Or on a busy street. Or with a pool. You get the idea.

Resale IS affected in the eyes of some, but not all. And I’ve even had some families tell me that their kids LOVED watching the trains go by from their bedroom window. There is also a difference between living by tracks and living near a crossing where the train has to blow its horn.

And speaking of noise and neighborhood nuisances … I live in a nice neighborhood by a quiet, serene lake where the ambient noise of lake birds serenades us all day long … but a grunge band just moved into a garage across the street … and when they fire up and start practicing …

I’d rather live by railroad tracks any day.
.
Sounds like you have done your homework. Many people live near and very close to train tracks and they say its no bother. It is up to you, if you like the home, like the neighborhood and like the price - I'd say it's a match.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
One other thing to take into consideration is at the main intersections and stops the trains blow their horns. My father in law lives to the station itself and part of the noise heard in his neighborhood is the train horn.

As Meena stated the train noise is subjective.

Maybe you should sit near the station reading a book or shopping to hear what the noise level is like indoors and out.

Samantha
Hello Preethi,

You are the best judge of whether the noise is too much or not. Go to the area at different times of the day when the train passes and see if it is too loud outside or not. If you open the windows in the summer, will it bother you when the train passes?

When I am showing homes to buyers close to the train tracks, some people tell me that they have always lived close to the train tracks and the noise does not bother them at all and then there are those who are light sleepers who will never buy a home there.

Keep in mind that when you are ready to sell the home, there will be a limited pool of buyers for your home located next to tain tracks.

Hope this helps.

Meena Gujral
Achievers Realty
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
510-279-9580