Barbara, Home Buyer in Colchester, VT

Vermont Transfer Tax... I'm ready to go to closing on Monday the 27th of July and just got a prelim of

Asked by Barbara, Colchester, VT Wed Jul 22, 2009

closing costs. (it's a private sale with owner financing..so no banks..just their lawyer and my lawyer)..anyway.. I thought the vermont transfer tax had to do with property taxes ..wrong.. now i have a large sum added onto my closing costs and i don't have it. If I ask the sellers to absorb the amount (it's $3100), does that mean we have to start over..and do i add that amount to the agreed purchase price? any suggestions how to go about this? I'm paying 5.5% interest with a 5 year balloon based on a 40 yr. amortization schedule and they reduced the price from their listing price by 17K. Many thanks as always..Barbara

Answers

2
Jim Bellville’s answer
Barbara,

The fix is a quick financial shifting of a portion of the closing costs. Since you do not have a lender involved, it should be a bit easier.

Chris is absolutely correct in that you need to get your attorney involved. In order to shift the costs, you need to have your attorney discuss the situation with the Seller's attorney so that you can see if they will agree with rolling that cost into the note. It will also require that the note and mortgage be rewritten and a new HUD prepared for your approval.

Considering you cannot afford the additional closing costs, I wouldn't recommend you get a real estate agent involved at this point, unless the Seller is willing to pay them for their time. It doesn't sound like you have the finances to cover the cost and the majority of the work that we perform is well before you get to the closing table.

I have to ask, since you didn't have a real estate agent, Did you hire any inspectors during the process to check various parts of the house systems?

Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 22, 2009
Barbara,

Your best bet is to discuss the options in the contract with your Lawyer. You should get a Realtor involved in the Transaction though to help you negotiate those options and make the transaction a smoother process. Your Realtor will be aware of all the steps that are required to complete the transaction safely and satisfactory.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 22, 2009