Home Buying in San Gabriel>Question Details

Anne, Home Buyer in Arcadia, CA

Utility pole on driveway of house.

Asked by Anne, Arcadia, CA Wed Jul 16, 2008

A house I was looking at has a utility pole on the side of its driveway. What is the effect of a utility pole on private property? I'm assuming it lowers the property value. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

7
The presence of the pole does have a negative effect on the property value. (You didn't like it aesthetically or you wouldn't have asked?). But whatever utility is fastened to the pole, it can be buried. If it's power, telco or catv, and comes from the utility easement (front or back of the lot), and then goes to the house, the home owner is responsible for the cost of the trench and conduit. Conduit is always the best bet for future ease of replacing the utility line. If the overhead line passes over a building on the lot, the buried line would require a different route.

The utility attachment at the home would also require rerouting at the home owner's expense. This rerouting and replacement, from overhead to buried, requires permission and coordination with the utility company(ies). Depending on the length and difficulty of the reroute, and if you're willing to dig the trench itself, it would cost anywhere from approximately $1K to $2K.

Retired Qwest Engineer
Less people are willing to live with such a flaw - impacts aesthetics and some people are concerned about health affects of living under power lines, so it will take longer to sell. The same house could sell for more. I know I would not buy it, no matter if I liked the house! However, if you can get a great bargain and it does not bother you, then it might be the right place for you. Best of luck!
Less people are willing to live with such a flaw that impacts aesthetics and may cause concern about health affects (power lines), so it will take longer to sell. The same house could sell for more. I know I would not buy it, no matter if I liked the house! However, if you can get a great bargain and it does not bother you, then it might be the right place for you. Best of luck.
It does make it harder to re-sell, therefore reducing value - there would be more demand for the same house without the pole, so you could theoretically sell it for more. It impacts the aesthetics and some people are concerned about the health affects of living under power lines, if that is what the pole is holding. Houses with issues like this take longer to sell because less people are willing to accept such a flaw. I know I wouldn't buy it, no matter if I liked the house. Best of luck!