Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

SF_first_tim…, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Using a realtor for a BMR in San Francisco?

Asked by SF_first_timer, San Francisco, CA Wed Jul 23, 2014

I'm a first-time buyer looking to buy a BMR in San Francisco. I've completed the educational classes and studied up on the restrictions, qualifications, etc. I'm unclear, though, as to what services a realtor provides for these types of units, since there's no searching or bidding process? Any information would be great -- please bear with a newbie!

Answers

2
You're correct that the BMR process is very different than a normal purchase, and there isn't a typical bidding process. That said, an agent will be able to help you find the available BMR units in your desired areas, and help with the paperwork involved and make sure everything is filled out correctly and accurately, to give you the best chance of being accepted as a buyer if you get chosen from the lottery system. An agent will be able to tour properties with you before you apply, and give you some advice regarding resale of the given property you're considering.

I have some experience with BMR units and would be happy to help you through the process if you'd like.

Hope this helps!
-Ryan
SF first timer: Most BMR should be listed on the MLS.
You will be able to ask your choice of realtor to search for this particular type of property for you.
Love the newbies! Let me know if you need assistance with the loan portion or if you need a referal for an agent in SF. cmg