Mike Abraham, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

Upgrades to a townhome...

Asked by Mike Abraham, Pittsburgh, PA Sun Apr 5, 2009

My fiancee and I looking to build a townhome and we wanted to know what we should make a priority in regards to offered upgrades...We are looking at a 4 ft extension, upgraded spa master bath, finished basement, upgraded kithchen, etc. What would you say would give us the best resell and what may just be overkill.

Answers

2
Gita Bantwal ABR/CRS/SRES/CDPE’s answer
People always like upgraded kitchens and extensions as it is added living space. These days builders are offering many incentives like upgrades . It is a good idea to have a buyer's agent . Sometimes you may find a one year old home in the development with a lot of upgradespriced at a lower price.
Web Reference: http://wwww.gitabantwal.com
Hello Mike,

Kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. Typically with a resale, you can recover a higher percentage of the price of upgrades in kitchens and baths than in other areas of the home. Also, a 4 ft. extension often makes a very big difference in the "feel" of a room - particuarly a great room or eat-in-kitchen. Be careful with the finished basement. I don't believe this is a "must have" and you may be able to finish this space for less money than the builder may charge.

When purchasing new construction (even with a tract builder like Ryan or Heartland), it is wise to be represented by a Buyer's Agent who can act as your advocate and provide advice. The sales staff for these builders are usually wonderful and knowledgable people, but they are representing the best interest of the builder.